• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** The Olympics is **** Thread

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That race, post race reaction, and then interview was my highlight of the '08 Olympics. People who think it reflects poorly on her, or Australia, can go and get ****ed. Don't think I've ever seen someone so excited to win an Olympic medal of any sort, was sensational.
I didn't actually watch the video, non do I remember it, but I can't think of a worst way to judge than a person than a interview moments after a race. hate it so much.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought the hot american one was in with a chance. Btw read somewhere Ennis would have qualified fastest given her heptathlon time? That's crazy why didn't she contend?
Said she wanted to give her body a rest.

It's a shame I think. Would have been endlessly hilarious if she'd entered as an afterthought and then beaten the Aussie into second.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah as hilarious as a ham sandwich.

She's an exceptional athlete Ennis so it would be quite normal for her to enter into an event that she is clearly terrific at and win gold.

grecian

Yeah as hilarious as a ham sandwich.

She's an exceptional athlete Ennis so it would be quite normal for her to enter into an event that she is clearly terrific at and win gold.
She was saying she's hardly slept recently, I don't think she'd have been mentally or physically right for it.

Shame really, it has been mentioned in the press, it maybe her main aim from now on.

social

Said she wanted to give her body a rest.

It's a shame I think. Would have been endlessly hilarious if she'd entered as an afterthought and then beaten the Aussie into second.
Have about as much chance as me

Pearson won the WC in 12.28, Enniss' best is 12.50 something

Enniss is a great heptathlete but Sally would have to be shot to lose to her

social

of all the government funded things you could use as an example, you use infrastructure? jesus christ man
Ha ha

Should we pour 500 million bucks straight down the ****ter in the form of a couple of holes in the ground that no-one can account for OR spend it on sporting facilities/athletes

You obviously have a very lose definition of infrastructure

Meridio

International Regular
The Olympics isn't ****, but I have to say the Olympics website is. I am trying to find out which semifinal our hockey girls will be in, yet I cannot find it anywhere. Every schedule, timetable, etc only has "Semi Final 1" or "Semi Final 2" listed - it doesn't say whether it's 1st in Pool A vs 2nd in Pool B or vice versa. Driving me mad, I'm desperately looking for tickets but what's the point when I don't know what time the game is?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say all the crying's a bit ****, isn't it?

Sanchez bawling like a bairn as he gets his 400m hurdle gold.

HTFU.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah it's pretty reflective of the Australian culture - laugh at people for failing. Should be disappointed and shattered when these people don't succeed, not take delight and be smug when it happens. England do that ****, not Australia.

I think Lleyton Hewitt is a **** of the highest order, but I was cheering the **** on like noone else in the tennis and would've loved for him to get a gold somewhere along the way.
I agree with your overall point, but you can go **** yourself if you think I am going to cheer on a **** like Nick D'Arcy just because he happens to have been born and raised within Australia's borders. There is a line, and Hewitt early on in his career and people like Nick D'Arcy are too big a dicks for me to support simply because they have the same passport as me.

However as I said above I agree with your overall point, there is a massive tall poppy syndrome in this country. That has been made pretty obvious over the last few weeks for sure. Magnussen got what he deserved for being an arrogant ****, but the way people had a go at him for "only" getting silver was crazy.

I disagree strongly with your "England do that, not Australia" though. We do that, but only to our athletes who big themselves up and get ahead of themselves, such as a Magnussen. I'd like to think Australian culture absolutely despises arrogance such as Magnussen. Whereas Pearson is loved for being a genuine good chick.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Seem to remember some Pakistanis being sent to jail for bowling a couple of no-balls and in the process defrauding the public etc

As this is far worse, it will be interesting to see how long the Chinese and Koreans spend in the big house
It's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar worse

The Pakistanis bowled a few no-balls for cash

There is no evidence that they tried to alter the course of an innings let alone match or series

These guys have not only tried to fix matches but also alter the course of an entire competition

They have ripped off the public and stand to benefit financially from it

Given the precedent, they should, at the very least, be subject to a criminal investigation

It wont happen but that's simply because the IOC is inherently corrupt and the British Gov"t wont risk an international incident
I don't entirely agree with social (I do think it was a bit poor), but this is a rubbish comparison. It's done to conserve energy, not to try and manipulate who they may or may not have to compete against further on in the event.
To me, the main point of difference is the fact that the swimmers aren't deliberately trying to lose. I realise they are fundamentally the same tactic, but this doesn't mean what they badminton players did is any less disappointing/poor.
The teams were trying to fix the match to ensure that 2 teams from the same country didnt play each other before the medal rounds - that's a bit more serious than conserving energy

In the process they have ripped off spectators, television viewers, broadcasters and degraded the sport to an extent that no-one will know whether the medalists are truly deserving

What's more, they receive prize money (or the equivalent) for medals "won"

**** em - at the very least, they should be disqualified and if I were a Pakistani, I'd be saying "what's the difference?"
Tanking questions rear their head again as Spain avoid star US team after giving up 10-point lead

Disqualify Spain?

Burgey

One of the things which annoys me generally is when people point to sportspeople, be they Olympians or footy players or cricketers and say "Aren't they stupid? They seem really dumb etc etc".

They're doing what they're good at. Not everyone can excel at academia, or at sport. To do both is pretty rare indeed. Those who pour **** on a footballer/ runner/ swimmer because they give a crap interview and sound "dumb" are no different to a high school jock who picks on a nerdy kid because they're physically weaker.

uvelocity

International Coach
really want to write then there's x, who got neither brains nor physical ability. But can't decide who to pick on.

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah solid post Jono...the one at the the top of the page, that is. The one above was nothing to write home about frankly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It would be odd for you to write to your home with the subject matter being one of my posts, itbt.

Spikey

A 1500m runner got kicked out because he was entered into the 800m but decided that was a waste of time, but didn't get left out of the race, so just jogged the 800m. way way overboard

could be back in it tho

Ha ha

Should we pour 500 million bucks straight down the ****ter in the form of a couple of holes in the ground that no-one can account for OR spend it on sporting facilities/athletes

You obviously have a very lose definition of infrastructure
If public transportation or a great big data network underground isn't infrastructure, I don't know what is.