Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which sports are you looking forwards to?

?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    never 4get
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Hockey top for me this time. Best game to play apart from cricket, criminally underrated.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    Hockey top for me this time. Best game to play apart from cricket, criminally underrated.
    Yeah I played a season of it last year, was great.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    The build up to these Olympics seems very low key generally. Is it the way the economy is across the northern hemisphere that's the reason?

Even here on CW it's low key, though I can't recall how big the anticipation was for the last games either.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The build up to these Olympics seems very low key generally. Is it the way the economy is across the northern hemisphere that's the reason?

Even here on CW it's low key, though I can't recall how big the anticipation was for the last games either.
    It's not low key over here, believe me. And in London even more so.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Has it amped up big time since the Euros? A few journos who were in London at the time thought it was all very low key.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    The "9 billion and rising cost" whilst a lot of the country doesn't have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of has taken the lustre off it a bit, IMHO.

Plus there's been a lot of talk about the "Plastic Brit" phenom from the more excitably certifiable corners of the fourth estate.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Has it amped up big time since the Euros? A few journos who were in London at the time thought it was all very low key.
    It's all I hear about if I switch the TV on, pick up a newspaper, go to the BBC website etc.

When I was in London for a couple of months this year, you couldn't turn any which way without seeing a reference to the games.

I guess it's perception though. If we ever got the World Cup I would expect a bigger build I suppose.

I'm actually looking forward to these Olympics much more than 2004 and 2008, despite the time zone crapness. I guess a reason for that is I had the chance to be in London during Olympic year, and I even went out to Stratford and had a look at the village. So it feels much more real and is capturing my imagination more than, say, Beijing, which I knew very little about, and the closest I'd ever been to it was Singapore.

It's also pretty cool that it's Sky TV's first Olympics, and they've put it on a whopping eight channels. In the past it's just been on one free-to-air channel. The channel-surfing is gonna be fabulous.

BBC are apparently making it possible to watch everything, through their channels, red button, website.

Some events are in 3D apparently, on BBC HD and Eurosport 3D, so that might be cool

International 12th Man weeman27bob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    BBC are apparently making it possible to watch everything, through their channels, red button, website.

Some events are in 3D apparently, on BBC HD and Eurosport 3D, so that might be cool
    2,500 hours of live coverage from what I've heard. Up 1,000 hours from 2008.

Seems to be a distinct lack of buzz around my workplace. It's a topic of conversation, but only in the sense that everyone is moaning about how it's going to be disruptive to their daily lives. Is grinding my gears tbh, find it a pathetically small minded view. It's the Olympics FFS - it happens once every four years, and this is probably the only time in your lifetime it will be held in your city - yet all you care about is it interfering with your routine? It's really not that much of a sacrifice to make alternative plans for a few weeks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information