Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: **Official** Semis and Final Thread

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Amazing win. Top stuff by Marlon, he's turned into a world class batsman
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Lol Lanka.

Yet everyone says South Africa are chokers. How many finals for how many second places is it now?

Well done Windies. Certainly put in great semi and final performances.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Well SA don't make the finals so... What is worse? Both pretty bad at it

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Traditional definition of choking is more like SL though. Get to the big show and perform poorly, a la Greg Norman.

True but It also involves being better than your opponents but losing it due to mental frailties. Traditionally this has applied more to SA - perfect example being their loss to NZ in '11 wc quarter final. Lanka weren't better than Aus in '07 and Ind in '11. Debateable if they were better than pak in t20 09. They were better than WI on home turf here though so this certainly was a choke though for sure. The way Sanga and Mahela batted screamed of fear.
    Last edited by Jono; 07-10-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Just saw the scorecard after WI were some 30 runs in 8 overs. Astonishing win. Can't believe SL lost it from the start they got.

Congrats West Indies!

South Africa has never won ANY knock out match ever in a world cup, and they bottle it up after being in winning situation. I don't think this is true of SL. They have just run into better teams in finals (except today perhaps). South Africa still the ace chokers, and only real one in cricket IMO.

But SL had the winning if this match too. I suppose it depends what you call choking.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    But SL had the winning if this match too. I suppose it depends what you call choking.
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is denying that this was a choke. But a lot of their other recent ones clearly weren't, like the 07 WC final.

South Africa, on the other hand, have had some truly dreadful ones in the past. Obviously the 99 and 2011 WC's stand out, but they were awesome in the 09 World T20 as well and blew it. And, I didn't see their loss to India in the 07 World T20, but I've heard they backed out of the chase and just tried to get the score they needed to go through, only to fall short.

That's proper bottling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    OK I'll stop calling WI the Cracking Chris Gayle and Sensational Sunil Narine + 9
    Exit pursuing a beer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think anyone is denying that this was a choke. But a lot of their other recent ones clearly weren't, like the 07 WC final.

South Africa, on the other hand, have had some truly dreadful ones in the past. Obviously the 99 and 2011 WC's stand out, but they were awesome in the 09 World T20 as well and blew it. And, I didn't see their loss to India in the 07 World T20, but I've heard they backed out of the chase and just tried to get the score they needed to go through, only to fall short.

That's proper bottling it.
    This
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    I don't think SL's previous three finals were chokes. They punched above their weight to reach the finals and then were beaten by better teams. This one was a choke though perhaps not as big as it looked at first sight. In hindsight 137 was more than a par score and batting was quite difficult. Ultimately SL was blindsided by a staggering innings by Samuels. His counter-attack against Malinga is the stuff of legend, right up there with Kallicharan against Lillee in 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    Last years final kula dropped Gambir, and today he spills Samuals.
    Kulasekera the goat imo.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The plan to deliberately lose wickets to Doherty so as to ensure Australia's ultimate failure was a rip roaring success though, so it wasn't all bad from their point of view.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread Information