• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Semis and Final Thread

chicane

State Captain
Haha Chris Gayle what a guy.

Nearly blew it spectacularly for his team today, but still.

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Amazing victory. Thought once we got the total to near 140 and got early wickets we'd be in with a shout. Thrilling.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol Lanka.

Yet everyone says South Africa are chokers. How many finals for how many second places is it now?

Well done Windies. Certainly put in great semi and final performances.

Burgey

Well SA don't make the finals so... What is worse? Both pretty bad at it
Traditional definition of choking is more like SL though. Get to the big show and perform poorly, a la Greg Norman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
True but It also involves being better than your opponents but losing it due to mental frailties. Traditionally this has applied more to SA - perfect example being their loss to NZ in '11 wc quarter final. Lanka weren't better than Aus in '07 and Ind in '11. Debateable if they were better than pak in t20 09. They were better than WI on home turf here though so this certainly was a choke though for sure. The way Sanga and Mahela batted screamed of fear.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Just saw the scorecard after WI were some 30 runs in 8 overs. Astonishing win. Can't believe SL lost it from the start they got.

Congrats West Indies!

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa has never won ANY knock out match ever in a world cup, and they bottle it up after being in winning situation. I don't think this is true of SL. They have just run into better teams in finals (except today perhaps). South Africa still the ace chokers, and only real one in cricket IMO.

Burgey

But SL had the winning if this match too. I suppose it depends what you call choking.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
But SL had the winning if this match too. I suppose it depends what you call choking.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is denying that this was a choke. But a lot of their other recent ones clearly weren't, like the 07 WC final.

South Africa, on the other hand, have had some truly dreadful ones in the past. Obviously the 99 and 2011 WC's stand out, but they were awesome in the 09 World T20 as well and blew it. And, I didn't see their loss to India in the 07 World T20, but I've heard they backed out of the chase and just tried to get the score they needed to go through, only to fall short.

That's proper bottling it.