Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread: **Official** Super 8 Group 2 Discussion - Aus, Ind, Pak and SA

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    This tournament structure is plain wrong. India go out with 4 wins from 5 and we were two runs off going through with 2 from 5.
    The Super 8s system really is just a cash cow to squeeze in a few more games, isn't it? Makes a farce of things when it's set up like this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International 12th Man
    When you consider that the Super Eight finalists were partly pre-determined - they were picked to stay in the same place in Sri Lanka to allow for spectators to plan their trips and not have the uncertainty of moving around - then yes absolutely it's a cash cow.

All four teams in Group 1 received a plum draw in facing other sides who weren't dominant in the pool stages. And two, including my side, blew it.

I'd be pissed if I was an Indian supporter. At least I know my side didn't deserve to be there and didn't play anything like they did.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Haha. What a turn of events. Thought for sure we'd crash out against Australia.
    haha......so awta
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    This tournament structure is plain wrong. India go out with 4 wins from 5 and we were two runs off going through with 2 from 5.
    True, but for all intents and purposes winning in the first rounds is pointless if you've already beaten the minnow. Unfortunate but its the reality.

School Boy/Girl Captain LegendaryProtea's Avatar
    Wow, braindead cricket from Morne Morkel at the end there. Just get bat on it and run and you're almost certain to win with a **** bowler like Balaji bowling. Instead he swings like a madman and snatches defeat from the jaws of victory just to compound the feelings of disappointment.

All in all, another miserable effort from the Proteas in a major world tournament. Should have beaten Pakistan but AB's novice captaincy skills and that ****ing rubbish excuse for an all-rounder named Albie Morkel conspired to lose us the game. Should also have beaten India but repeatedly kept losing wickets when in the ascendancy. Played absolutely ridiculous cricket most of the time when really we had probably the most balanced side in the comp and should have reached the semis at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryProtea View Post
    Wow, braindead cricket from Morne Morkel at the end there. Just get bat on it and run and you're almost certain to win with a **** bowler like Balaji bowling. Instead he swings like a madman and snatches defeat from the jaws of victory just to compound the feelings of disappointment.

All in all, another miserable effort from the Proteas in a major world tournament. Should have beaten Pakistan but AB's novice captaincy skills and that ****ing rubbish excuse for an all-rounder named Albie Morkel conspired to lose us the game. Should also have beaten India but repeatedly kept losing wickets when in the ascendancy. Played absolutely ridiculous cricket most of the time when really we had probably the most balanced side in the comp and should have reached the semis at a minimum.

sorry mate but with such pathetic brain farts SA didn't deserve to go through.

I mean who the hell allows Umar Bull to take the match away with a BAT?

School Boy/Girl Captain LegendaryProtea's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all suggesting that we deserved to go through. We got exactly what we deserved. I'm just stating that in both the India and Pakistan games, we were in incredibly strong positions to win and yet lost because of an inability to deal with pressure and a lack of clear thinking.

The India game had nothing to do with going through to the semis though. I mean even if SA won it would have been fairly soulless considering you know the team out there has just lost interest once they couldn't qualify.

yep......awta

State Vice-Captain
    WI seem to be the most undeserving team in there. No issues with the other three going through. Be rooting for either Aus or Pak, want SL to lose in the finals.

btw I could understand the Indo-Pak rivalry but what's with the animosity between Lankan and Indian fans?

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    btw I could understand the Indo-Pak rivalry but what's with the animosity between Lankan and Indian fans?
    I don't think there is much, at least not from the Indian side (then again I could be wrong). I think from the Sri Lankan side its more to do with political reasons about the whole civil war etc.

And maybe because we beat em in the WC final

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    I don't think there is much, at least not from the Indian side (then again I could be wrong). I think from the Sri Lankan side its more to do with political reasons about the whole civil war etc.

And maybe because we beat em in the WC final
    Check out the comments here. Also was there in the Asia cup

India v South Africa, Super Eights, World Twenty20, Colombo Report : India's one-run win against South Africa not big enough to qualify | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryProtea View Post

Albie Morkel bowled rubbish against Pakistan but on balance the elephant in the room was surely the lack of performance from Kallis who has repeatedly disappointed in these big tournaments. He was dropped several years ago by the SA selectors from international T20s but found his way back by virtue of good form in the IPL. Miller should have been selected ahead of him. SA need players to clear boundaries.

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread Information