• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Super 8 Group 1 Discussion - Eng, WI, SL and NZ

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Every game has been littered with inconsistent selections seemingly at random and that's the annoying thing. Even with Pietersen no-one expected England to win given the inexperience of the team and the conditions which england struggle in but it would have been nice if England made the most out of the players they had at their disposal with coherant plans and coherant selections. Given the conditions were actually slightly more in favour of England than they could have expected it was a dissapointing tournament. We should have beaten WI.

+ves

Wright - tbf i thought he was still going to be **** and even after AFG I was like lol, but credit on here to the guys like benchmark and others who saw that he'd improved and more specifically to Wright himself. It's also noteworthy for the ECB that Wright improved by playing the bigbash and ipl, etc and let's hope that there is a bit more support if players want to go down that route.

Finn - Not perfect and possibly more erratic that his ODI performances of the last year but i think this was the tournament he got a lot more respect from other countries players and supporters for his performances.

Hales - better than expected although my expectations were low. looked a bit ungainly but looked reasonable even if i don't think he is skilled or fit enough at present.

-ves

Broad- Although his bowling was OK, Broad is not a captain and with a decent captain we would probably have made the semis.

Kieswetter- Confidence slowly drained from him. Needs to be dropped for a prolonged spell to work on and think about his game.

Bairstow- is screwed for india. We're ****ed regardless of whether we go Bairstow or Morgan in india against spinners.

Dernbach - I still actually like him but once a team has seen him a few times they just are waiting to pounce on the slower balls. People need to remember he always bowls at the death so his figures do take a bit of a battering. I really like his attitude though and he'll keep going and I'd prefer him getting gametime to someone like Woakes. I still think one day he could be a very good ODI/T20 bowler but he's obviously no-where near that at present.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, Prior, at least run-rate wise has a decent record in t20. Would also be nice to have someone who can actually 'keep. In fact didn't Foster change the course of a match a couple of WCs ago with great glove-work. It seems to me to be an important position in these games, with players coming out of their creases, bowlers mixing it up, and all runs being vital.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Personally I thought that it was criminal to drop Kieswetter today. To ask Bairstow to keep wicket in foreign conditions without any real practice in the short term and with his keeping being so average as it was, was unfair to bairstow. Of course none of the press were pointing out today how **** bairstow was given that they all seemed to want Kieswetter out. No-one seems to have pointed out that Bairstow has been just as **** throughout the tournament as Kieswetter. Shoulda just stuck with KW and told him to smash the ball rather than giving the gloves to a partimer for a WC QF in alien conditions.
Agree so much.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Problem is Prior, Bell and Woakes will come in and everybody will remember why they were dropped in the first place. I agree that throughout the tournament the team selections and plans were inconsistent and Broad and Flower should take a load of criticisms because there was seemingly no coherant gameplan.

You talk about a revolving door for new players but Bairstow, Buttler, Kieswetter, Dernbach, Hales have all been given long runs. I really do believe that England picked the best squad that was available to them. Bopara deserved his place but then had a massive dip in form once the squad was named- not much you can do about that.

Personally I thought that it was criminal to drop Kieswetter today. To ask Bairstow to keep wicket in foreign conditions without any real practice in the short term and with his keeping being so average as it was, was unfair to bairstow. Of course none of the press were pointing out today how **** bairstow was given that they all seemed to want Kieswetter out. No-one seems to have pointed out that Bairstow has been just as **** throughout the tournament as Kieswetter. Shoulda just stuck with KW and told him to smash the ball rather than giving the gloves to a partimer for a WC QF in alien conditions.
Dernbach has been given a good run despite being complete ****e. Nobody rates him and anyone with half a brain would know even if he has some success it won't last because of his style of bowling.

The point was most young players were shown the door rather quickly, whilst others inexplicably were given a long run. Kieswetter deserved a run generally, but it was clear he hadn't evolved and was painfully one dimensional.

Giving Dernbach and Kieswetter contracts was laughable.

Hales was in and out of the side but scored plenty of runs in T20 for his county. Fair enough to select him - whether he came off or not, not a problem. Same with Buttler, who hasn't really come off yet. They EARNED selections and had barely a handful of matches so far.

Bairstow has a truly abysmal T20 record, should not have been anywhere near the T20 squad.

How the **** you can say Bopara deserves a place in the squad is beyond me. HIS STRIKE RATE IS BELOW 100. BELOW 100. BELOW 100. HE SCORES SLOWER THAN GEOFF BOYCOTT'S MUM. BELOW 100. NOT EVEN ONE RUN A BALL. Is it getting through yet? That is an absolute joke. That means most of his innings are like the one Bairstow got hammered for. And just in case being absolutely ****e wasn't enough he also showed he's a moping sadsack the months before. His continued selection is an absolute disgrace and an insult to players in County Cricket who might not have his talent but they wouldn't have been nearly as useless.

Because of the fixation with prank players who aren't good enough the likes of Briggs and Buttler have been having to learn in a World Cup. It's not acceptable.

You and others need to get over this idea that the only cricketers we have in the country are the ones that get selected. There are a handful of keepers who'd have done a better job than Bedwetter or Bairstow. Prior, Foster, Mustard, Davies - just off the top of my head. In the last tournament we picked guys who weren't exactly glamorous names but they did their job. Yardy, Sidebottom, Lumb, Bresnan etc.

BeeGee

International Captain
On evidence to date, neither New Zealand, England nor the West Indies deserve to go through. The WI just had the luck that the three worst teams in the super 8s were all in the same group.
Still, we have at least one more chance to see a potential Gayle explosion.

BTW, NZ need to learn that the required target isn't the score that the opposition made... it's ONE more than that.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That's quite possibly the most ****ing ********, spastic, autistic, idiotic, moronic, AIDS-inducing, eyeball-gouging, completely ****ing STUPID way we've EVER been eliminated from a tournament and/or lost a match
Can tell you are a kiwi fan here even if I didn't already know.

I quite enjoyed those T20 games. This tournament structure has been excellent.

Never thought the day would come where I thought I would say I was into the games.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of finger pointing for the performance. I think the coach first and foremost for batting Oram so high. A couple of years back under Vettori's reign he was coming in at number 9. And that is where he belongs.

I don't blame Jake for scoring 6(9). He just shouldn't have been put into that situation.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah, at the end of the day, New Zealand were a batsman short all tournament along with a genuine wicket-taking bowler.

Absolutely gutted after last night in the manner we lost. That's gonna haunt young Southee for a while. **** me if Taylor didn't look pissed and fed up at the interview.

What a team of losers I support.