• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Super 8 Group 1 Discussion - Eng, WI, SL and NZ

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It doesn't make a huge difference how you arrange those - the source of the problem is that the rest of our batting is complete ****
Yeah but I can go to bed at a reasonable hour safe in the knowledge that we're ****ed if those four go early rather than waiting around as with Frinks tonight.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think we can tell Kieswetter to **** off during this tournament, especially as we have no decent replacements, but he really needs to go afterwards.

Howsie

International Captain
It doesn't make a huge difference how you arrange those - the source of the problem is that the rest of our batting is complete ****
Nah, it would make a huge difference imo. Sure they could all fail and in that case we would be ****ed but your've got to give your best batsmen a chance to succeed. 120 balls is SFA really, no reason why any one of those four should be coming in with just a few overs to go.

James

Cricket Web Owner
The tournament has shown how much we've missed Ryder up the top of the order, and the lack of an attacking go-to bowler I tend to think.

Hopefully Ryder will get his head straight, and we look at bringing on one of our younger bowlers well in this format.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes Nass I'm sure Alviro Petersen does have a carrom ball, but the reason we're not likely to see it often has nothing to do with his confidence.

On a seperate note Robin Petersen said to be unwilling to relinquish his role as Test opener.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If SL win all 3 games and NZ beat WI then 3 teams will have two points.
Yep, and NZ would be fairly likely to have the best NRR.

Also possible if Sri Lanka win this, but then England beat Sri Lanka and West Indies beat NZ then England, Sri Lanka and West Indies will finish on 2 wins.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, and NZ would be fairly likely to have the best NRR.

Also possible if Sri Lanka win this, but then England beat Sri Lanka and West Indies beat NZ then England, Sri Lanka and West Indies will finish on 2 wins.
Given what we're seen from England against the spinners, I don't see the 2nd option happening in full. Likeliest scenario is SL winning all 3, England winning 1 and either WI winning 2 or having 3 teams with one win. And our NRR is unlikely to improve against SL either.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I've only just realised that the last two games in the group don't happen simultaneously as they're all being played at the same venue. Not ideal.And possibly unfair to NZ and/or WI as England will know exactly what they need to do against SL in terms of NRR.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've only just realised that the last two games in the group don't happen simultaneously as they're all being played at the same venue. Not ideal.And possibly unfair to NZ and/or WI as England will know exactly what they need to do against SL in terms of NRR.
Yep. Always likely to happen too in groups of 4 - that there'll be all sorts of advantages to playing last. Even if Sri Lanka win this and New Zealand beat West Indies then Sri Lanka will be through regardless, so it could arguably make it easier for England to win.

Fortunately for New Zealand England decided to **** about chasing down their total earlier today, so it's unlikely England will be able to lose and sneak through on NRR.