• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Super 8 Group 1 Discussion - Eng, WI, SL and NZ

stumpski

International Captain
Why was Bairstow brought in ahead of Morgan I'm not sure he should be playing IT20s as is but this is just silly. Morgan gave us a sniff but he's not a miracle worker.
I'm sure he wouldn't have done if we hadn't been 0-2 after three balls. I can see why they didn't want Morgan batting in the first over, but obviously having him come in halfway through the innings wasn't ideal either.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Speaking of which, how did it eventuate that the four sides that topped their group ended up in the same Super Eights pool? Seems outrageous.
The super 8 groups were decided in advance. All the teams in one group finishing top in the previous round, was just how it panned out.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just back - and we appear to have fallen 15 short despite only losing 4 wickets, which seems very odd. All down to Bairstow's plodding along for five and a bit overs and leaving us too much to do?

And I didn't see the WI innings, but how exactly does a hack like Johnson Charles end up scoring 80 at some stupidly high RR? It's one thing to be Gayle'd in these games, but that looks like a scandalous effort from our bowlers.

chicane

State Captain
Was a good game! Kinda silly for England getting so close with 6 wickets left, but Morgan was lucky.

Terrific fielding from WI!

chicane

State Captain
True, especially that effort by Russell a few minutes back.
Speaking of which, is there anything in the laws preventing fielders from crossing the ropes in anticipation of a ball headed for 6 that could be parried back to the field?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The super 8 groups were decided in advance. All the teams in one group finishing top in the previous round, was just how it panned out.
They were decided in advance? That seems illogical.

And on another note, why do I keep hearing that Southee's over going for 13 was a fine effort? Bumble kept crapping on about it, and his nonsensicle 'no boundaries' line, now I read it in our news agencies. He gifted Sri Lanka an eight-ball over. Yes he hit the hole a few times but those were costly, no matter how much he wants to argue where the wide line is.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Speaking of which, is there anything in the laws preventing fielders from crossing the ropes in anticipation of a ball headed for 6 that could be parried back to the field?
Yup there is. In fact, under the new MCC laws that were brought in in 2011, that should have been six IMO, as his foot was touching the rope just before he jumped.

They were decided in advance? That seems illogical.
It's basically just to help traveling fans. So for example, if you wanted to go to Sri Lanka, you'd in advance know where and when NZ were playing.

I think it's quite beneficial, actually.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah right, interesting. Seems like you might deny a side of a semi-final when they might have made it against other opposition, but I can see the logic. I guess on their day all eight teams are capable of beating the rest. Sri Lanka and West Indies had rain affected matches in their pools so it seems only fair they catch a break in a Super Eights group with us and England.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Charles is so bad. Why is he playing international cricket.

He's probably going to play a little cameo of 30 odd to spite me but he really looks clueless out there.
:laugh:

Johnson Charles and Rob Nicol both score internation 50s on the same day. World is ****ed.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll be honest, I'm struggling at work today. So ****ing tired. But I probably wouldn't be feeling it at all if we'd won.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Absurd opening with NcCullum, though Southee produced a bag of **** in his first over, so I suppose it didn't make things much worse.

This team really misses Styris, we've got no one in the middle order who can really capitalise in the death overs.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I don't like the virus, I agree with that. We don't have hitting power at the death anymore.

Identify the biggest hitter domestically and get him in there. it's Colin de G. Done.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
weird. losing by a good margin despite losing just 4 wickets smacks of lack of planning. Eng were never ahead at any point. excellent innings by Morgan but Bairstows was as bad.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
weird. losing by a good margin despite losing just 4 wickets smacks of lack of planning. Eng were never ahead at any point. excellent innings by Morgan but Bairstows was as bad.
I don't get this theory in T20 matches. Wins shouldn't automatically occur if a team batting second lasts the 20 overs with just a few down. Eng just didn't bat as fast as Windies who didn't lose that many wickets either, its as simple as that.

Two early wickets didn't help..

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I don't get this theory in T20 matches. Wins shouldn't automatically occur if a team batting second lasts the 20 overs with just a few down. Eng just didn't bat as fast as Windies who didn't lose that many wickets either, its as simple as that.

Two early wickets didn't help..
Indeed. That is exactly what I was pointing out. The acceleration came only when the match was well and truly lost, and while the final margin of 15 might suggest it was close, it wasn't at any point in time. A margin of 15 in T20s is similar to 40 runs in ODIs. Imagine a situation where Team A batting first scores 300/5 in 50 overs in excellent batting conditions and Team B scoring 260 but at loss of 4 wickets.

It is not as if England did not have hitting ability below the order. Hales was tiring towards the end, there were the likes of Buttler, Samit Patel, Swann, Broad etc who can pack in a heavy handle as well. English batsmen mismanaged the chase, there could be no doubt about that.