Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** Group D Discussion - Pakistan, New Zealand, Bangladesh

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Paragraph 1 of NZ vs Bangladesh preview on cricinfo:

New Zealand, considered underdogs for the tournament, will open their World Twenty20 campaign against a team that is also considered this year's dark horses and actually hold a mental edge over them
    Cricinfo parodying themselves?

Disappointing lack of "greater than the sum of their parts" and "hard working" though.

They did get the 'play as a team' one though (or a variation thereof):
    Quote Originally Posted by cricinfo
    Ross Taylor will lead a side that has traditionally done well in multi-team tournaments, where they gel as a unit to reduce the gap between them and more talented or experienced sides
    Yawn. Such lazy journalism. I wonder if Cricinfo will ever write a preview about NZ without mentioning any of those cliches?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Paragraph 1 of NZ vs Bangladesh preview on cricinfo:

Cricinfo parodying themselves?

Disappointing lack of "greater than the sum of their parts" and "hard working" though.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International 12th Man
    Haha, journalists are dicks. They're seriously asking if we're still scarred by a series three years ago, nigh on? Should our media ask if they're scarred from getting pounded in the Test at Hamilton in 2009 when Gup smashed 190?

Agreed that if Nicol doesn't open, he's a waste of space. We have two spin options, and three if Kane plays.

Franklin Guptill McCullum Taylor Williamson Oram McCullum Vettori Southee (if feeling fit) Mills Milne. If that amount of batting can't get a score, then so be it.

^^ Don't see that we need 6 bowlers (plus Franklin and Williamson). Would leave one of Southee, Mills or Milne out for Watling or Nicol. Probably Southee as he's still recovering from illness. Don't mind which of Nicol or Watling - Nicol just finds ways to score runs and, if nothing else, I find it amusing to watch. Sometimes the other team must just want to give up out of shear embarrassment .

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    ^^ Don't see that we need 6 bowlers (plus Franklin and Williamson). Would leave one of Southee, Mills or Milne out for Watling or Nicol. Probably Southee as he's still recovering from illness. Don't mind which of Nicol or Watling - Nicol just finds ways to score runs and, if nothing else, I find it amusing to watch. Sometimes the other team must just want to give up out of shear embarrassment .
    Hahaha I'm glad we're selected our side based on straw man's humour. I'm okay with that. Play on Rob!

Watling isn't even a first choice in ND's side, and he's actually bemused himself that he continues to get picked in T20 sides internationally.

I dunno, I don't feel Nicol or Watling offer anything that Vettori, McCullum etc can't do themselves at 6 or 7. If one bowler doesn't come off, we have back-ups. If the order I posted doesn't do the job, no one will.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Despite bowling well in the warm-ups, I'd leave Milne out of this one (provided Mills and Southee are both fit). Too much of a risk that he'll serve up a load of tripe for Tamim to gobble down.

Franklin, Guptill, McCullum, Taylor, Williamson, Nicol (ugh), Oram, NcCullum, Vettori, Mills, Southee
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

looking forward to today's NZ vs Bang match. The titans of the minnows match

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Hahaha I'm glad we're selected our side based on straw man's humour. I'm okay with that. Play on Rob!

Watling isn't even a first choice in ND's side, and he's actually bemused himself that he continues to get picked in T20 sides internationally.

I dunno, I don't feel Nicol or Watling offer anything that Vettori, McCullum etc can't do themselves at 6 or 7. If one bowler doesn't come off, we have back-ups. If the order I posted doesn't do the job, no one will.
    What happened to all our middle order players who could give it a bash? We used to have them in abundance. I have said this elsewhere, but Styris would still fit right into this side:

Guptill
    Franklin
    McCullum
    Taylor
    Williamson
    Styris
    McCullum
    Oram
    Vettori
    Southee
    Mills

However, it looks like we are a batsman short if they insist on playing Jimmeh at the top, so we might have to suffer through Nicol coming in and spending his first five balls playing ugly hoicks whilst frustrating McCullum or Taylor into playing a dumb shot.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    BD probable XI

Tamim
    Ashraful
    Shakib
    Mushfiq
    Mahmudullah
    Nasir
    Zia
    Mashrafe
    Sunny
    Razzak
    Shafiul

News is that Abul might play instead of Sunny if the pitch is grass covered, but Abul leaks runs everywhere. Not banking too much hope on bowling.
    Last edited by AndyZaltzHair; 21-09-2012 at 01:53 AM.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

the bangers need to persist with their SLAs.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    The tournament needs a minnow to stand up.

Anyone reckon NZ have it in them?

Team needs more Scotty Styris, IMHO. Dominated our T20 up here.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Bangladesh bowling first with hint of rain in the air

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Great, glad that's settled. Robo Nicol WAFG

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    The tournament needs a minnow to stand up.

Anyone reckon NZ have it in them?
    NZ only do equine-related figurative imagery - no fish sorry. Bracing myself for a lame performance then

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information