• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion - England, India, Afghanistan

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yup - it's there for all to see every time we play in the SC or the UAE, but the English game is too far gone for anyone to do a thing about it. Not that it's any sort of priority for the guys who run the domestic game anyway. Listen to the howls of anguish whenever a county has the temerity to produce a track that takes spin before lunch on Day 4. Given how dire our test team is against this stuff, our 2020ers were never going to have a prayer. And this against an attack that was run close by Afganistan iirc.
Yeah.. even more irksome when India were basically fielding their reserves in this match.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Btw points to ponder for India as well... I have no clue how such a joke like Dinda still manages to make the team. Also while Gambhir had a reasonably good outing today he still had bot got rid of that dab... just lucky that English bowlers were still hungover from the Afghan demolition job and were bowling short.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd consider going in with 5 bowlers. It's just 20 overs, and Irfan / Ashwin can bat too. The bowling is week and needs some strengthening.
Lets not forget Harby who can more than handle a bat. We've got a pretty good tail for T20 cricket.

Is that was is happening?

Crazy if true. Not really looked at the format of the competition.
Yes, unfair for teams to earn more points and then get grouped with equally strong opponents. It's almost better to lose than to be table toppers the way things are set up lol.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Boy, Senile Sentry, that Hussain piece in your sig is some arrogant drivel! I can't wait for this winter; if only we had a half decent trundler like Ganguly, I'd go for three spinners along with Zaheer. unfortunately, nobody in the team seems to like running up to bowl off more than 4 paces..
I am sure Kohli can bowl off 5.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Indian fans lets not get ahead of ourselves ffs. Only beaten the two minnows so far, so let's just keep a lid on it okay?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. when did England get this dire against spin? I have seen them lose to spin but I have also seen them play pretty darn well against spin for a number of matches/sessions... The way India plays and bowls seam and the way England play spin are frankly ridiculous. They should just allow their A teams play a lot more against each other home and away. The only way talented youngsters on both sides would improve, tbh...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be fair, at the end of the day it was a dead rubber. Its not a good sign that they were so comically bad, that's for sure. And the fact it is happening in all formats of the game and to all players who put on the England jersey is definitely a worry. But in terms of whether this match will have a huge affect on their chances of winning this tournament chances, I'd say not THAT much.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Irfan's pace picking up a little again? He was up in the higher 130s every now and then last night. Though night cricket always makes everyone seem slightly quicker.

I know this is only T20, but I've been wondering for some time why we don't play to our strengths all the time and in all conditions. Three spinners at home, two abroad - unless it's an outrageously seaming pitch. I get that our spinners aren't exactly hot shots either (away from home anyway), but surely they have more aces up their sleeves than our medium pacers?

Harbhajan actually looked good yesterday; he was getting some loop on the ball, was varying his speed nicely. Bowled a couple of really good doosras also. Then again, he's always looked a different bowler once he has early wickets down. Chawla is just rank though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think that's the go in One Day and T20 cricket, where the batsman has to come at the bowler, but away from turning tracks in Test matches, where you can wait on the bowler a bit more, the spinners can look a bit impotent, like Ashwin in Australia.

Trichromatic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think that's the go in One Day and T20 cricket, where the batsman has to come at the bowler, but away from turning tracks in Test matches, where you can wait on the bowler a bit more, the spinners can look a bit impotent, like Ashwin in Australia.
Judging an offie in Australia is like judging a bowler against Sehwag on a flat pitch. You know that even the best ones can get spanked.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Judging an offie in Australia is like judging a bowler against Sehwag on a flat pitch. You know that even the best ones can get spanked.
But that's the point. The poster suggested India playing 2 spinners away from home (e.g. Australia) yet they often look pedestrian on those tracks, which is why we need to play 3 pace bowlers.