Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ICC Twenty20 2012 WC Squads

ICC Twenty20 2012 WC Squads

Australia: George Bailey, Travis Birt, Dan Christian, Pat Cummins, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Brad Hogg, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Ben Laughlin, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Dirk Nannes, Stephen O'Keefe, Tim Paine, Rob Quiney, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

The irony of Lyon being discovered as a T20 bowler, and then not getting much of a run for Australia, is quite funny if truth be told. Think that he's better suited to the slower wickets of the subcontinent than Doherty as well, a la Ojha who takes the pace off the ball and makes the batsman generate it himself.

Banned
    inclusion of ryan harris is a good sign for this young inexperienced australian team ....i really hope they do well because they are no better than other teams like india , s.africa and westindies(atm) especially .

Pretty rank looking squad. On paper you'd have it above NZ but it would be pretty marginal with other sides.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Australia: George Bailey, Travis Birt, Dan Christian, Pat Cummins, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Brad Hogg, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Ben Laughlin, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Dirk Nannes, Stephen O'Keefe, Tim Paine, Rob Quiney, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

The irony of Lyon being discovered as a T20 bowler, and then not getting much of a run for Australia, is quite funny if truth be told. Think that he's better suited to the slower wickets of the subcontinent than Doherty as well, a la Ojha who takes the pace off the ball and makes the batsman generate it himself.
    The 30 man squad on first look might look all right but the fact of the matter that along with Lyon, young guys like Hughes, Coulter-Nile, Maddinson have been totally overlooked despite performing has to be kick in teeth for them.

Your performance at the domestic level has have to mean a lot when it comes down to selection because otherwise it just means you have to be in the good books of both the selectors and the captain which is just not acceptable if one wants to pick the best possible team.

Eventually we still have enough good players in there to pick a strong final 15 man squad, but the point of such preliminary squads is to establish a pecking order and its beyond logic to understand how people like Nannes, Laughlin, Shaun Marsh have made it into this squad.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    T20 squad David Warner, Shane Watson, Matthew Wade (wk), David Hussey, Michael Hussey, George Bailey (capt), Cameron White, Daniel Christian, Glenn Maxwell, Brad Hogg, Xavier Doherty, Clint McKay, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Ben Hilfenhaus.

That's the 15 man squad for the Pakistani T20's which are on before the WC. And the 15 man WC squad has to be named before those Pakistani T20's start. So pending Bailey getting sacked, which I wouldn't put past them, that's the squad. The other 15 names have just been drawn out of a hat or something
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Shaun Marsh is a terrific T20 player pup..

I agree though that Laughlin is a completely meh selection and I would have preferred to have seen a Coulter-Nile (like you mentioned) or McDermott but realistically none of them will make the 15 anyway.

Decent enough 15 man squad. No idea why Doherty is in there though. I don't really don't know why Bailey was made captain either. He is a good t20 player, but he is almost the weak link in the batting if you look at the other options there. Marsh should definitely be in the t20 team as well imo.

My ideal team (not using the squad) would probably be something like:

Warner, Watson, Marsh, Dussey, Mussey, White, Wade, Hilf, McKay, Lyon, Cummins

No idea who should be captain though. Dussey, Mckay first ones to get replaced if needed.
    Last edited by Ruckus; 18-07-2012 at 05:02 AM.

I wonder if they thought about removing Bailey. I mean, White's back, Watson's there. We don't need a captain. it would have been pretty rough on the guy. But he's def the last batsman picked of those there, and we may well want Christan or someone to play.
    Last edited by Spikey; 18-07-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Watson
    Warner
    Mussey
    White
    Bailey
    Dussey
    Wade
    Hogg
    Starc
    Hilf
    Cummins/McKay

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    I wonder if they thought about removing Bailey.
    I doubt it. He is clearly someone is who very much in the forefront of the selectors minds atm...no doubt has been earmarked for bigger and better things. So I don't think they would want to be stepping backwards in that respect at this stage.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Ben Laughlin

Harsh on McDermott, but they probably picked 25 guys who actually had a chance and drew the last 5 randomly from State cricket. Nannes, Paine and Voges the other obvious three random selections with no hope (surely..)
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

India

Probables: MS Dhoni, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, R Ashwin, Pragyan Ojha, Umesh Yadav, Ashok Dinda, Ajinkya Rahane, Manoj Tiwary, Rahul Sharma, Vinay Kumar, Zaheer Khan, Yuvraj Singh, Robin Uthappa, Irfan Pathan, Yusuf Pathan, Mandeep Singh, Piyush Chawla, Ravindra Jadeja, Shikhar Dhawan, Ambati Rayudu, Harbhajan Singh, Munaf Patel, Naman Ojha, Dinesh Karthik, Praveen Kumar, L Balaji.

Looks fine. Exclusion of Awana is surprising if he isn't injured. Awana was the best Indian bowler during the IPL. Don't want to see Munaf Patel near the final 15.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Shaun Marsh is a terrific T20 player pup..

I agree though that Laughlin is a completely meh selection and I would have preferred to have seen a Coulter-Nile (like you mentioned) or McDermott but realistically none of them will make the 15 anyway.
    Yup... Marsh is a terrific player but he has blown away plenty of chances in the past and he should be made to work his way back into reckoning, pretty much the same thing can be said about Johnson as well.

Like I said the eventual 15 man squad would be on the expected lines but the whole point of a 30 man squad is to appreciate the performances of players who have done well in the format either domestically or internationally and when that doesn't happen it probably just ridicules the efforts of the players who have preformed consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Ben Laughlin

Harsh on McDermott, but they probably picked 25 guys who actually had a chance and drew the last 5 randomly from State cricket. Nannes, Paine and Voges the other obvious three random selections with no hope (surely..)

Paine's an obvious selection, if only because if you don't name more than one keeper in the squad of 30, and the one keeper gets injured, i think you might be ****ed. in fact, i'm surprised there's only two keepers in the 30. seems like you may as well name 3 or 4.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Paine's an obvious selection, if only because if you don't name more than one keeper in the squad of 30, and the one keeper gets injured, i think you might be ****ed. in fact, i'm surprised there's only two keepers in the 30. seems like you may as well name 3 or 4.
    My bad, skimmed the list and entirely forgot that Haddin retired from T20s.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information