• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web's World Twenty20 XI

AaronK

State Regular
Lacks a fifth bowling option. Don't really know who I would've picked though.
ya..I didn't notice that

I would drop Butt and go with Angelo Mathews..open with Kamran Akmal..

I thought he had a decent tournment.. his knock against India was pretty good..

Shri

Mr. Glass
Would pick Tait/Mohd Aameer instead of sidebum and Cameron White ahead of Butt. Line up would be:

M Jayawardene
K Akmal
S Raina
K Pietersen
E Morgan
M Hussey
C White
S Smith
G Swann
D Nannes
M Aameer/ S Tait

White, Raina and KP can share the 5th bowler duties.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would pick Tait/Mohd Aameer instead of sidebum and Cameron White ahead of Butt. Line up would be:

M Jayawardene
K Akmal
S Raina
K Pietersen
E Morgan
M Hussey
C White
S Smith
G Swann
D Nannes
M Aameer/ S Tait

:@

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Yes the fifth bowling slot kills the named team.

Take a look at the three Twenty20 World Cup champions and the bowling lineup's for the finals.

India 07
- RP Singh
- S Sreesanth
- J Sharma
- Y Pathan
- I Pathan
- H Singh

Pakistan 09
- M Aamer
- A Razzaq
- S Afridi
- S Ajmal
- S Malik
- U Gul

England 10
- Sidebottom
- Bresnan
- Broad
- Swann
- Yardy
- Wright

A successful Twenty20 team needs five/six bowlers better than part-time status. I would be seriously worried if I was relying on one of KP, White or Raina to provide an option outside of the four named bowlers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice. Really backs up what we were talking about in the other thread a few days back. The seventh batsman rarely plays a big role, but the fifth bowler is every bit as important as the first four.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, although he largely bowled pus I'd have Watson ahead of Butt for that reason if nothing else.

Gotta have Tait in there too, IMHO. Bowled his overs for less than a run a ball. Vettori the only other bowler who bowled more than 15 overs to do that and he took 3 wickets to Tait's 9.

My XI:

Kieswetter*
Watson
Jayawardene
Pietersen
Morgan
White +
Hussey
Smith
Swann
Nannes
Tait

AaronK

State Regular
my XI

M Jayawardene
K Akmal
S Raina
K Pietersen
E Morgan
M Hussey
A. Mathews
S Smith
G Swann
D Nannes
R. Sidebottom

I still can't believe that u people left Mathews out..

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Jayawardene
Watson
KP
Raina
Akmal
Hussey
Vettori
Swann
Broad
Tait
Nannes

Vettori...how often does anyone get after him? perfect t20 bowler, milkybar kid did a good job this tourney, didnt get a bat but offers a bit at no. 9 (Langeveldlt hasn't been mentioned but had some awesome spells at the death)

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Nice. Really backs up what we were talking about in the other thread a few days back. The seventh batsman rarely plays a big role, but the fifth bowler is every bit as important as the first four.
Depends on the team; if not for the ultra long batting line-up, OZ may not have made it past the Super 8's (assuming you count Clarke as one of the batters).

Shri

Mr. Glass

M Jayawardene
K Akmal
S Raina
K Pietersen
E Morgan
M Hussey
C White
S Smith
G Swann
D Nannes
M Aameer/ S Tait

Forgot Watson.:blink:

M Jayawardene
S Watson (3)
S Raina
K Pietersen
M Hussey
C White
K Akmal
S Smith (5)
G Swann (4)
D Nannes (2)
M Aameer/ S Tait (1)

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Mahela Jaywardene
Craig Kieswetter +
Kevin Pietersen
Suresh Raina
Cameron White
Michael Hussey
Angelo Mathews
Daniel Vettori
Graeme Swann
Dirk Nannes
Shaun Tait

Uppercut

Depends on the team; if not for the ultra long batting line-up, OZ may not have made it past the Super 8's (assuming you count Clarke as one of the batters).
I'm not saying it's never better to have seven batsmen, the semi-final was the perfect example of that. And Australia have some excellent fifth bowling options anyway in Watson and Dussey. But I think in the long run the five-bowler approach will win more matches for most sides.