Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Does it hollow Englands victory to have so many non-English born players in the team?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • We wuz robbed

0 0%
  • A little bit

0 0%
  • Not really

10 50.00%
  • Tell him hes dreaming

4 20.00%
  • GIMH sold his soul for this victory

6 30.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Least 'National' World Cup Winning Team

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Wow, I'd never actually realised that Greenidge grew up in England.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I love this headline from the South African site sport24:

SA duo star in England win.

Living vicariously much, lads?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Wow, I'd never actually realised that Greenidge grew up in England.
    He's a Reading lad

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yup, still travels on an Irish passport (as does Joyce FWIW). However, although the ICC don't insist on it, the ECB only allow UK & Irish passport holders to play and, in the case of those born away from blighty, only then after the four year residence qualification, also not demanded by the ICC (although necessary in Kieswetter's & Trott's cases as they'd played U19s for yer yarps).
    Tbf UK and Ireland passports have so much overlap they're pretty much the same thing. I'm eligible for both.

As with vic, the case of Joyce does irk me a lot more than that of Morgan. It's the prerogative of the English selectors whether they want to pick someone in a format that blatantly does not suit them, bat them in a completely different role to that which they've played previously, and discard them permanently (from all formats) when they show little success. But it does feel that we're being trampled on when their momentary flirtation deprives Irish cricket of its greatest-ever talent for the peak of his career.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Tbf UK and Ireland passports have so much overlap they're pretty much the same thing. I'm eligible for both.

As with vic, the case of Joyce does irk me a lot more than that of Morgan. It's the prerogative of the English selectors whether they want to pick someone in a format that blatantly does not suit them, bat them in a completely different role to that which they've played previously, and discard them permanently (from all formats) when they show little success. But it does feel that we're being trampled on when their momentary flirtation deprives Irish cricket of its greatest-ever talent for the peak of his career.
    Me too, as it goes. If there was any mileage in having both I would get an Irish one.

Everyone else's loss is Sussex's gain.

WAG

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar

Is it four years at the moment? I don't really know why it can't be shorterned to something like two... still a disincentive to swap but not so damaging as it has been for Joyce.

Probably would be good to see something put in place that could have stopped Nannes turning out for Holland just to play the T20WC and then become Australian again immediately afterwards, but I'm not sure how that could work at all. It's generally better if players have some committment to the country they are representing, such as some of Ireland's 'imports' who appear to be pretty committed to Irish cricket.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Is it four years at the moment? I don't really know why it can't be shorterned to something like two... still a disincentive to swap but not so damaging as it has been for Joyce.

Probably would be good to see something put in place that could have stopped Nannes turning out for Holland just to play the T20WC and then become Australian again immediately afterwards, but I'm not sure how that could work at all. It's generally better if players have some committment to the country they are representing, such as some of Ireland's 'imports' who appear to be pretty committed to Irish cricket.
    Yeah, it's four. Next year's World Cup just misses the cut-off.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Yeah, it's four. Next year's World Cup just misses the cut-off.
    Oh yeah, I read that. Isn't there something in with the ICC about that for Ireland having Joyce and that curly-haired New Zealand bloke?

I say borders a man made phenomena to isolate people from one another .. racism is created by politicians and religious leaders not only to perserve their power but to gain more power and in modren day to get our votes..

so i say let people play where ever they want to.. and let people live and be the citizen of where ever they want to.. that is the only way we can send a giant middle finger to these politicians and religious leaders..
    SALMAM KHAN The real king and Baadshah of Bollywood!!!!!!!!

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I love this headline from the South African site sport24:

SA duo star in England win.

Living vicariously much, lads?
    You are talking about a nation that voted Gandhi as one of the 5 greatest ever South Africans

They are good at claiming
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    I say borders a man made phenomena to isolate people from one another .. racism is created by politicians and religious leaders not only to perserve their power but to gain more power and in modren day to get our votes..

so i say let people play where ever they want to.. and let people live and be the citizen of where ever they want to.. that is the only way we can send a giant middle finger to these politicians and religious leaders..
    Hence the IPL. :-)

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Pietersen and Swann say hi, and I believe Stuart Broad popped his head round the corner too, Sidebottom wants a word as well, and Tim Bresnan....
    I really thought I edited that post to say 'one of', seems I didn't. Pietersen was England's man and Swanny is probably the best spinner in all formats right now.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Banned
    I really thought I edited that post to say 'one of', seems I didn't. Pietersen was England's man and Swanny is probably the best spinner in all formats right now.
    Yes

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Nah, Hauritz is better
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information