• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Least 'National' World Cup Winning Team

Does it hollow Englands victory to have so many non-English born players in the team?

• We wuz robbed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A little bit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup, still travels on an Irish passport (as does Joyce FWIW). However, although the ICC don't insist on it, the ECB only allow UK & Irish passport holders to play and, in the case of those born away from blighty, only then after the four year residence qualification, also not demanded by the ICC (although necessary in Kieswetter's & Trott's cases as they'd played U19s for yer yarps).
Tbf UK and Ireland passports have so much overlap they're pretty much the same thing. I'm eligible for both.

As with vic, the case of Joyce does irk me a lot more than that of Morgan. It's the prerogative of the English selectors whether they want to pick someone in a format that blatantly does not suit them, bat them in a completely different role to that which they've played previously, and discard them permanently (from all formats) when they show little success. But it does feel that we're being trampled on when their momentary flirtation deprives Irish cricket of its greatest-ever talent for the peak of his career.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tbf UK and Ireland passports have so much overlap they're pretty much the same thing. I'm eligible for both.

As with vic, the case of Joyce does irk me a lot more than that of Morgan. It's the prerogative of the English selectors whether they want to pick someone in a format that blatantly does not suit them, bat them in a completely different role to that which they've played previously, and discard them permanently (from all formats) when they show little success. But it does feel that we're being trampled on when their momentary flirtation deprives Irish cricket of its greatest-ever talent for the peak of his career.
Me too, as it goes. If there was any mileage in having both I would get an Irish one.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

Everyone else's loss is Sussex's gain. :)

WAG

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

Is it four years at the moment? I don't really know why it can't be shorterned to something like two... still a disincentive to swap but not so damaging as it has been for Joyce.

Probably would be good to see something put in place that could have stopped Nannes turning out for Holland just to play the T20WC and then become Australian again immediately afterwards, but I'm not sure how that could work at all. It's generally better if players have some committment to the country they are representing, such as some of Ireland's 'imports' who appear to be pretty committed to Irish cricket.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it four years at the moment? I don't really know why it can't be shorterned to something like two... still a disincentive to swap but not so damaging as it has been for Joyce.

Probably would be good to see something put in place that could have stopped Nannes turning out for Holland just to play the T20WC and then become Australian again immediately afterwards, but I'm not sure how that could work at all. It's generally better if players have some committment to the country they are representing, such as some of Ireland's 'imports' who appear to be pretty committed to Irish cricket.
Yeah, it's four. Next year's World Cup just misses the cut-off.

AaronK

State Regular
I say borders a man made phenomena to isolate people from one another .. racism is created by politicians and religious leaders not only to perserve their power but to gain more power and in modren day to get our votes..

so i say let people play where ever they want to.. and let people live and be the citizen of where ever they want to.. that is the only way we can send a giant middle finger to these politicians and religious leaders..

Sir Alex

Banned
I say borders a man made phenomena to isolate people from one another .. racism is created by politicians and religious leaders not only to perserve their power but to gain more power and in modren day to get our votes..

so i say let people play where ever they want to.. and let people live and be the citizen of where ever they want to.. that is the only way we can send a giant middle finger to these politicians and religious leaders..
Hence the IPL. :-)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pietersen and Swann say hi, and I believe Stuart Broad popped his head round the corner too, Sidebottom wants a word as well, and Tim Bresnan.... :)
I really thought I edited that post to say 'one of', seems I didn't. Pietersen was England's man and Swanny is probably the best spinner in all formats right now.

AaronK

State Regular
Hence the IPL. :-)
In IPL.. players play for money.. nothing else...there is no any other benefit of IPL than just showering players with money... the risk is that it will get to a point when cricketers who are playing now may prefer IPL over thier countries.. or players who wouldn't give a rat's ass about international matches.. thinking that no matter what happens they will make their money in IPL..