View Poll Results: Does it hollow Englands victory to have so many non-English born players in the team?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • We wuz robbed

    0 0%
  • A little bit

    0 0%
  • Not really

    10 50.00%
  • Tell him hes dreaming

    4 20.00%
  • GIMH sold his soul for this victory

    6 30.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 76

Thread: The Least 'National' World Cup Winning Team

  1. #16
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,487
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    But they are a problem to some. I have no problem with these guys whatsoever.

    And then, this isn't a new phenomenon - Kepler Wessels, Tony Greig, Basil de Oliveira, Robin Smith, Allan Lamb, Graeme Hick, Andrew Caddick, Alan Mullally, Martin McCague, Craig White. If you've lived in a country long enough to earn a passport for that country, I don't see how you can say it's wrong for them to play for that adoptive country.
    Don't need to live in a country to have its passport though. Not saying this is entirely a new issue but I can't think of any other time when so many players have been in or around the team at the same time.
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

  2. #17
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Don't need to live in a country to have its passport though.
    Haha yeah I have a British passport but I've never even been to Britain.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  3. #18
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha yeah I have a British passport but I've never even been to Britain.
    Expecting you to turn out for the English team in the next WC now.

  4. #19
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,083
    I dont know the background of the NZ Saffies so I could be wrong but I would guess they were not NZ citizens when they lived in SA.

    Lumb, KP and Kieswetter were all British citizens in SA. Richard Lumb (Michaels father) was a longtime Yorkshire player and both Lumb and Kieswetter never played FC cricket in SA.

    This isnt even an issue of mercenaries moving to a country for a better life (which I wouldnt have that much of an issue with either) but KP, Lumb and Kieswetter were/are British citizens exercising their right to work in their country of citizenship.

    This is always going to be a common thing as there are tens of millions of British passport holders outside the UK with only 6 mil actually born there.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net


  5. #20
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Don't need to live in a country to have its passport though. Not saying this is entirely a new issue but I can't think of any other time when so many players have been in or around the team at the same time.
    Were any 4 of Lamb, Smith, Hick, Caddick, McCague, Phil DeFreitas, Gladstone Small and Devon Malcolm ever in the team at the same time? No, you don't need to live in a country to have its passport, but if you have no relation to said country then you do need to live there in order to earn a passport. I really don't get why you think England have done something wrong here. Morgan - okay, I can see the eligibility rules screw Ireland over, but really there's nothing new in this.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  6. #21
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Don't need to live in a country to have its passport though. Not saying this is entirely a new issue but I can't think of any other time when so many players have been in or around the team at the same time.
    I think we have found 7 in an England team previously (6 for sure)

  7. #22
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,487
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Were any 4 of Lamb, Smith, Hick, Caddick, McCague, Phil DeFreitas, Gladstone Small and Devon Malcolm ever in the team at the same time? No, you don't need to live in a country to have its passport, but if you have no relation to said country then you do need to live there in order to earn a passport. I really don't get why you think England have done something wrong here. Morgan - okay, I can see the eligibility rules screw Ireland over, but really there's nothing new in this.
    Having a relationship with a country doesn't make you a product of their cricket system and I think that is the issue I have with it.

  8. #23
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I think we have found 7 in an England team previously (6 for sure)
    Haha wow would be pretty interested to see that team.

  9. #24
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,083
    Interesting to see Alan Mullally, Martin McCague and Craig White mentioned in this thread as, IIRC, they all qualified for England by birth

  10. #25
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I dont know the background of the NZ Saffies so I could be wrong but I would guess they were not NZ citizens when they lived in SA.

    Lumb, KP and Kieswetter were all British citizens in SA. Richard Lumb (Michaels father) was a longtime Yorkshire player and both Lumb and Kieswetter never played FC cricket in SA.

    This isnt even an issue of mercenaries moving to a country for a better life (which I wouldnt have that much of an issue with either) but KP, Lumb and Kieswetter were/are British citizens exercising their right to work in their country of citizenship.
    Quite right. New Zealand are looking more like they're taking advantage of flights of fancy and a desire to play international cricket. We could see Elliot, Watling, Myburgh, van Wyk and Wagner all playing for NZ and I think the only one who held a Kiwi passport is Watling. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

  11. #26
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Interesting to see Alan Mullally, Martin McCague and Craig White mentioned in this thread as, IIRC, they all qualified for England by birth
    They are all examples used by the England detractors in this sense though. How's about Gavin Hamilton - ruthlessly poached from Scotland?????

  12. #27
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Expecting you to turn out for the English team in the next WC now.
    Swanneh > me.

    And funnily enough, I'd still actually have to do my residency even though I have a passport.

  13. #28
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,487
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Quite right. New Zealand are looking more like they're taking advantage of flights of fancy and a desire to play international cricket. We could see Elliot, Watling, Myburgh, van Wyk and Wagner all playing for NZ and I think the only one who held a Kiwi passport is Watling. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    I'm using the world cup winning team as an example, I have an issue with this in NZ cricket as well.

  14. #29
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Haha wow would be pretty interested to see that team.
    7 foreign born but a number are certainly of British stock

    2nd Test: New Zealand v England at Auckland, Jan 30-Feb 3, 1992 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

  15. #30
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Haha. Good old Kenyan Derek Pringle.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. First Name on a World XI team sheet
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 11:37 PM
  2. Which team is going to win the 20-20 world cup ?
    By Ilovecric in forum 2010 ICC World Twenty20 - West Indies
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 30-04-2010, 12:15 PM
  3. An A to Z of Cricketing Terms for newcomers
    By Dave Gregory in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-02-2008, 07:52 PM
  4. Surrey 2002: A Cricket Captain Diary
    By SIX AND OUT in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 08:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •