• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australianism

Dissector

International Debutant
So Australia will forever bear the ignominy of being the first team to lose to England in a major cricket final. I think this is the day that Australianism officially died.:p

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Its all down to the non existence of pressure.

Pressure doesn't actually exist, it's just a feeling of doing something you are supposed to do.

Thats why the Australians dont feel pressure,

They don't want to do what their supposed to do,

its in their genes,

as their ancestors are criminals.

FACT.
British criminals. AS Churchill said, we're from bad stock. ie you lot.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Not just limited to the cricket side, this ever so annoying never say die attitude. More or less every Aussie sports team (or at least the ones I notice) seems to have it.
Myth

No. Australians do no have it. Take swimming for example. In 2000, 2004 and 2008 Australia went in with swimmers having times the best in the world to only choke. There is no greater choker in sport than Liesel Jones. Libby Trickett is another choker. Eamon Sullivan twice set world records for the 100m free (lead-off in 4x100m relay and semis of individual) before falling apart in the final in Beijing.

Even in tennis Pat Rafter missed a great oportunity to win Winbledon against Goran Ivanisevic. Or Lleyton Hewitt against Safin at the Aus Open 2005, though to be fair Safin played well and had schooled Federer in the semis.

As for the Wallabies? Are you kidding me? What about the Wallabies pathetic capitulation at Eden Park against the All Blacks last year? Or letting the All Blacks win at the last moment in Sydney? What about dominating Ireland only to have them equalise in the dying moments in the northern hemisphere tour last year? Or worse, the pathetic game against Scotland where they dominated possession but couldnt score?

And of course there is Greg Norman (and Australian golfers in general). Australian golfers have 2 majors in the last 15 years. Elkington in 1995 and Ogilvy in 2006.

As for the Kangaroos ... rugby league is much more popular in Australia than it is in Britain or New Zealand. You would expect us to dominate though the Kiwis have had some big wins over us (world cup and the league tri-nations)

Even the bleedin' Soccerroos have it; 1-0 down v Japan in the last world cup with about 8 mins left and they win 3-1 and twice behind v Croatia and twice equalise for the point they needed to advance.
Well, the Socceroos were twice victims of absolutely pathetic refereeing. The goal Japan scored should never allowed and apparently the (English) ref decided that you needed 3 yellow cards before you were sent off during the Croatian game.

But lets not forget how many times Australia failed to qualify for the World Cup. Most of all the game against Iran in 1997 after being up 2-0 at home, and 3-1 on aggregate let Iran score two away goals to go through.

Oh, and yeah, Greg Norman at the 1996 Masters.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Mental toughness is extremely important. Notice how many times when Australia have come through from being behind to win has been against Pakistan? Lets not forget the 2nd test in Sydney this year or Symonds in the 2003 world cup.

Its not coincidence that Australia fight backs are often against Pakistan, who are undeniably the mentally weakest team in cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Myth

No. Australians do no have it. Take swimming for example. In 2000, 2004 and 2008 Australia went in with swimmers having times the best in the world to only choke. There is no greater choker in sport than Liesel Jones. Libby Trickett is another choker. Eamon Sullivan twice set world records for the 100m free (lead-off in 4x100m relay and semis of individual) before falling apart in the final in Beijing.

Even in tennis Pat Rafter missed a great oportunity to win Winbledon against Goran Ivanisevic. Or Lleyton Hewitt against Safin at the Aus Open 2005, though to be fair Safin played well and had schooled Federer in the semis.

As for the Wallabies? Are you kidding me? What about the Wallabies pathetic capitulation at Eden Park against the All Blacks last year? Or letting the All Blacks win at the last moment in Sydney? What about dominating Ireland only to have them equalise in the dying moments in the northern hemisphere tour last year? Or worse, the pathetic game against Scotland where they dominated possession but couldnt score?

And of course there is Greg Norman (and Australian golfers in general). Australian golfers have 2 majors in the last 15 years. Elkington in 1995 and Ogilvy in 2006.

As for the Kangaroos ... rugby league is much more popular in Australia than it is in Britain or New Zealand. You would expect us to dominate though the Kiwis have had some big wins over us (world cup and the league tri-nations)

Well, the Socceroos were twice victims of absolutely pathetic refereeing. The goal Japan scored should never allowed and apparently the (English) ref decided that you needed 3 yellow cards before you were sent off during the Croatian game.

But lets not forget how many times Australia failed to qualify for the World Cup. Most of all the game against Iran in 1997 after being up 2-0 at home, and 3-1 on aggregate let Iran score two away goals to go through.

Oh, and yeah, Greg Norman at the 1996 Masters.
So, to summarize: not every Australian sportsperson or team wins every time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hewitt didn't choke to Safin. Hewitt came back from the dead in Aust Open 2005. If Safin had lost to Hewitt, he'd have choked.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Hewitt didn't choke to Safin. Hewitt came back from the dead in Aust Open 2005. If Safin had lost to Hewitt, he'd have choked.
Right, because Safin losing the 1st set 6-1 to Hewitt clearly indicates that Safin was DOMINATING Hewitt.

Facts are your friend, son, you should try them sometime.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
So, to summarize: not every Australian sportsperson or team wins every time.
Your argument that I listed EVERY time an Australian sports woman or man or team listed is idiotic. No, I gave you examples where Australians were favourites, on top and failed to win.

For example I wouldn't list this Twenty20 loss to England as an example of an Australian team failing to win when they should have as it was clear that Australia had peaked too early in the competition and England played their best cricket at the right time. England were simply the better team. England's victory is very reminiscent of Pakistan's win in 1992.

Being outclassed by a better team happens. But this theory that Australians always win in tight, pressure filled matches is a complete myth. The fact that Liesel Jones and Steve Hooker are both Australian has no bearing in their personalities and their ability to overcome great hardship, in Hooker's case being severly injured and coming out to make a winning vault in last year's world champs, and Jones abject capitulation in the 200m breaststroke final in Beijing (where she forgot to BREATHE).

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Australia don't lose ICC Tournament (eg World Cup, Champions Trophy, and hopefully T20) Finals. I don't think we've lost one since Sri Lanka knocked us off in 96 - obviously we've at times failed to progress through to the finals, but the conversion rate once there is pretty much perfect.

EDIT: Half expecting someone to point one out to me that I've overlooked, but I can't think of where that might have been.
Would like to apologise to my fellow Aussies for jinxing it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Right, because Safin losing the 1st set 6-1 to Hewitt clearly indicates that Safin was DOMINATING Hewitt.

Facts are your friend, son, you should try them sometime.
Who the **** posts like this?

Seriously, if you're going to engage in a discussion with me don't be a douchebag.

Now on to your point, Hewitt won the first set because Safin was off. But if you watched the whole tournament Hewitt scraped through all tournament (5 settes galore) whereas Safin played as good as he possibly could. After that first set Hewitt didn't get a look in.

shankar

International Debutant
One way to test if it's just the team having good players rather than any 'cultural' explanation is to check if there were similiar claims made about the West Indies during their period of dominance.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
LOL, well, Isn't this the first thing you teach a sportsman, "don't give up till the end, no matter how bad the situation is"....Aussies learned it better then others though.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Who the **** posts like this?

Seriously, if you're going to engage in a discussion with me don't be a douchebag.

Now on to your point, Hewitt won the first set because Safin was off. But if you watched the whole tournament Hewitt scraped through all tournament (5 settes galore) whereas Safin played as good as he possibly could. After that first set Hewitt didn't get a look in.
No, in interviews Hewitt has even said he backed off a bit after winning the first set. Its been Hewitt's biggest problem in his career. Backing off when he is on top. I've heard Newcombe and other commentators go on about it for the past 6 years.

Safin was "off" because Hewitt came out and played aggressively. Hewitt didn't let Safin play well. But during the 2nd set Hewitt started to play more defensively which was a massive mistake.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Any Aussies that think this whole thing is a myth don't deserve to support their cricket team.

The other day on ESPN they showed the 5th day at the Oval in 2005. I felt honour-bound to watch. It just reminded me how that never-say-die spirit was there in that Aussie team. Now, that team wasn't in particularly good form that series, while a good England side was, but in every single game the crims dug in and played hard.

Lord's - bounced back from 190 all out to wipe the floor with us

Edgbaston - lower-order heroics nearly pulled off the ultimate win

Old Trafford - in the first innings, a gutsy fightback kept Australia in the game, and Chimpy's ton plus lower-order heroics pulled off an amazing draw

Trent Bridge - lower-order heroics plus yet another 4th innings fightback, this time with the ball, England scraping home with 3 wickets to spare

The Oval - Hayden's career-saving ton; Warne and Lee bowling like absolute demons on the final day even when it became clear that the series was lost. Absolutely extraordinary.

So Greg Norman's a choker? Big ****ing deal.