Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Australianism

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah and it can be **** for more expressive blokes as they quickly find themselves on the outer. The Aussies Test side would rather carry a clearly-in-denial Tubby Taylor over a Slater, still hitting them well, but going through a rough trot personally because one of them is better at saying the right things to the right blokes at the right time. The results have been awesome but geez a lot of players have been burnt over the years.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 16-05-2010 at 03:25 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It's interesting how some of the Australian players with less stereotypical Ockeresque personalities cope with the team/mateship ethos. For years MacGill was thought of as a bit of loose cannon for seemingly no other reason than he drunk wine rather than beer and occasionally voiced opinions but equally Gilchrist, who if his autobiography is a fair reflection genuinely struggled at times, seemed like the identikit "winning" Aussie because he sucked it up and (publically at least) towed the party line.

Gilly's only outward eccentricity was his habit of walking. One wonders that if he hadn't been so lavishly talented and secure of his place if he would've done the same?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's interesting how some of the Australian players with less stereotypical Ockeresque personalities cope with the team/mateship ethos. For years MacGill was thought of as a bit of loose cannon for seemingly no other reason than he drunk wine rather than beer and occasionally voiced opinions but equally Gilchrist, who if his autobiography is a fair reflection genuinely struggled at times, seemed like the identikit "winning" Aussie because he sucked it up and (publically at least) towed the party line.

Gilly's only outward eccentricity was his habit of walking. One wonders that if he hadn't been so lavishly talented and secure of his place if he would've done the same?
    Think his habit of being a loose cannon in the change rooms and on the field on occasion might have also had something to do with it. They still talked about him in the Devon area, apparently he almost had a fight with the captain of his team and said a couple of things to umpires that wouldn't have gone down well.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I have the greatest respect for Australian sporting culture (obsession with water-based sports excepted). If there is ever an example of culture and environment impacting sport then we can just compare Aus and Eng. Australia is on another level in terms of sport across the board.

TBH, I think if they looked different then people would take the easy way out and lazily blame genetics.

Serious question, is it possble that a reason for this ability to take sport to another level is partially based on the fact that Aus has a pretty small population, very isolated and isnt particularly significant in global affairs and that sport gives the opportunity to make a massive impression internationally? Just a random thought.
    It's also cheap to play and the weather allows us to play non-stop for the whole year in most cases.

Think what you mentioned also might play a part. Not sure if it's backed up with any evidence, but I always think people from country areas seem to be pretty good at most of the sports I've played...not sure if it's because there's no other distractions.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Think his habit of being a loose cannon in the change rooms and on the field on occasion might have also had something to do with it. They still talked about him in the Devon area, apparently he almost had a fight with the captain of his team and said a couple of things to umpires that wouldn't have gone down well.
    Think his, er, youthful excesses broadly still fall into the stereotypical Aussie will to win tho. Probably stepped over the line more than most, but doubt there's many choirboys in your average Australian international side.

From the outside looking in it seemed as if it was more his off-field habits that separated him from those around him, rather than being a bit of a hot-head.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Life on Limbrick's Avatar
    Its all down to the non existence of pressure.

Pressure doesn't actually exist, it's just a feeling of doing something you are supposed to do.

Thats why the Australians dont feel pressure,

They don't want to do what their supposed to do,

its in their genes,

as their ancestors are criminals.

FACT.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!

Probably the only funny crim joke I've seen on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I have the greatest respect for Australian sporting culture (obsession with water-based sports excepted). If there is ever an example of culture and environment impacting sport then we can just compare Aus and Eng. Australia is on another level in terms of sport across the board.

TBH, I think if they looked different then people would take the easy way out and lazily blame genetics.

Serious question, is it possble that a reason for this ability to take sport to another level is partially based on the fact that Aus has a pretty small population, very isolated and isnt particularly significant in global affairs and that sport gives the opportunity to make a massive impression internationally? Just a random thought.
    This has come up before and for a long time it was what I thought too. But in speaking to Aussies about it (including one who married into the family), and spending some time over there, I don't think so. They have an unusual culture - not a care in the world about what's happening elsewhere; their standing in global affairs; and absolutely no outward desire to change that. They just seem to be perfectly happy where they are. When you try to jibe them with something about them being "insignificant on a global scale" in terms of their politics and economy, they don't take it as an insult. It doesn't mean anything to them.

By and large they appear to have no great desire to learn about history of any kind other than in the field of their own sport. Not a word of a lie, the average historical knowledge of an early-20s Australian comes across as worse than what a primary school kid would have here in England. I was appalled at that. They're also not the most religious bunch; most I spoke to view it with contempt.

I do think that because they don't put a lot of energy into the things other countries traditionally do, they have a lot left over to focus on building themselves as competitors. But I'm not convinced the motive behind it is to build their international profile, "conquer the world" if you will. I'm inclined to think the sole driving force is a love of the contest.
    Last edited by treamcast34; 16-05-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Quite a talent you've got there, spoken to a few of us and spent some time here and you got us down pat! Don't fall in the the trap of lazily stereotyping 20 million of us with the few brief experiences you've had. I've lived here my whole life and I don't understand us and the paradoxes, diversity and hypocrisy in this society may mean I never will despite the fact it'll always be a significant part of my job. Unless you think we're all Steve Irwin and Paul Hogan clones...
    Last edited by pasag; 16-05-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Wait...you aren't?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    So Australia will forever bear the ignominy of being the first team to lose to England in a major cricket final. I think this is the day that Australianism officially died.

Myth.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Life on Limbrick View Post
    Its all down to the non existence of pressure.

Pressure doesn't actually exist, it's just a feeling of doing something you are supposed to do.

Thats why the Australians dont feel pressure,

They don't want to do what their supposed to do,

its in their genes,

as their ancestors are criminals.

FACT.
    British criminals. AS Churchill said, we're from bad stock. ie you lot.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Not just limited to the cricket side, this ever so annoying never say die attitude. More or less every Aussie sports team (or at least the ones I notice) seems to have it.
    Myth

No. Australians do no have it. Take swimming for example. In 2000, 2004 and 2008 Australia went in with swimmers having times the best in the world to only choke. There is no greater choker in sport than Liesel Jones. Libby Trickett is another choker. Eamon Sullivan twice set world records for the 100m free (lead-off in 4x100m relay and semis of individual) before falling apart in the final in Beijing.

Even in tennis Pat Rafter missed a great oportunity to win Winbledon against Goran Ivanisevic. Or Lleyton Hewitt against Safin at the Aus Open 2005, though to be fair Safin played well and had schooled Federer in the semis.

As for the Wallabies? Are you kidding me? What about the Wallabies pathetic capitulation at Eden Park against the All Blacks last year? Or letting the All Blacks win at the last moment in Sydney? What about dominating Ireland only to have them equalise in the dying moments in the northern hemisphere tour last year? Or worse, the pathetic game against Scotland where they dominated possession but couldnt score?

And of course there is Greg Norman (and Australian golfers in general). Australian golfers have 2 majors in the last 15 years. Elkington in 1995 and Ogilvy in 2006.

As for the Kangaroos ... rugby league is much more popular in Australia than it is in Britain or New Zealand. You would expect us to dominate though the Kiwis have had some big wins over us (world cup and the league tri-nations)

Even the bleedin' Soccerroos have it; 1-0 down v Japan in the last world cup with about 8 mins left and they win 3-1 and twice behind v Croatia and twice equalise for the point they needed to advance.
    Well, the Socceroos were twice victims of absolutely pathetic refereeing. The goal Japan scored should never allowed and apparently the (English) ref decided that you needed 3 yellow cards before you were sent off during the Croatian game.

But lets not forget how many times Australia failed to qualify for the World Cup. Most of all the game against Iran in 1997 after being up 2-0 at home, and 3-1 on aggregate let Iran score two away goals to go through.

Oh, and yeah, Greg Norman at the 1996 Masters.

U19 12th Man
    Mental toughness is extremely important. Notice how many times when Australia have come through from being behind to win has been against Pakistan? Lets not forget the 2nd test in Sydney this year or Symonds in the 2003 world cup.

Its not coincidence that Australia fight backs are often against Pakistan, who are undeniably the mentally weakest team in cricket.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information