Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gatecrashing the party

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Here we go again....i thought it was funny thats why i posted it. But looks like its "that time of the month" for Sir Alex.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Those 3 paragraphs are full of anti IPL sentiment, and as if Pakistan has shown the middle finger at them by reaching semi of world Cup. It clearly mentions non inclusion of Pakistani players as a snub and injustice.
    So? A lot of my Indian friends are also showing a "finger" to IPL for what it has "achieved...."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Those 3 paragraphs are full of anti IPL sentiment, and as if Pakistan has shown the middle finger at them by reaching semi of world Cup. It clearly mentions non inclusion of Pakistani players as a snub and injustice.
    Seeing as Gul, Afridi and Ajmal are 3 of the best T20 bowlers around, it's a little strange that they received absolutely no bids isn't it?
    ​63*

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Seeing as Gul, Afridi and Ajmal are 3 of the best T20 bowlers around, it's a little strange that they received absolutely no bids isn't it?
    It ofcourse is. But the reasons behind their non selection was hardly a question of merit. It had to do with political gamesmanship.

School Boy/Girl Captain GraemeSmith's Avatar
    This constant scapegoating of IPL is getting really annoying. It seems that anyone who has a problem these days is blaming the IPL, first Dhoni and Kirsten blamed IPL for India's failure then SA blamed IPL for their failure and now this. It's clear that IPL is an easy target that people who don't want to take responsbility can point finger at and lay the blame on. I swear if tomorrow there was an earthquake you'd have people blamng the IPL, it's like IPL is the work of the antichrist and the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    So? A lot of my Indian friends are also showing a "finger" to IPL for what it has "achieved...."
    If you think IPL was formed and is being run with the sole objective of making India the greatest t20 nation on earth, mate you couldn't be further from truth.

You have the English Premier League for example. And you've a struggling England team on the other side.

That said, IPL indeed rang all warnings. People were talking up how the senior like Sachin, Kumble etc dominated the charts this time. But forgot or ignored that this meant the so called young brigade, who would be representing India, didn't perform to expected standards.

The moron selectors compounded the issue by completely ignoring the IPL performances and instead stuck with out of form players like Yuvraj, Zaheer etc.

Had the team to West Indies been selected on merit, ie, IPL performances alone, the squad would've been roughly.

Uthappa
    Vijay
    S Tiwary
    M Dhoni
    R Sharma
    V Kohli
    N Ojha
    S Raina
    P Ojha
    H Singh
    A Mishra
    A Dinda
    P Kumar/ U Yadav
    V Kumar
    Ashwin

With the above team we'd have a greater chance of making to semi, after which is a big lottery anyways.

It gives a shudder we couldn't select our best IPL players like

S Ganguly
    R Dravid
    Sachin
    Kumble

Who would comfortably make the top 6 best indian performers in IPL.

And we missed the services of Sehwag due to injury also.

In short, our world Cup team was in no way representative of our best IPL players, on talent and form.

It's high time selectors woke up to the fact that past exploits are nothing without form in t20, and with 14 games IPL couldn't be a better indicator of that.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Its blatantly obvious the article isn't supposed to be taken seriously, or are you not familiar with satire.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Its blatantly obvious the article isn't supposed to be taken seriously, or are you not familiar with satire.
    It's a good piece apart from those 3 rubbish paragraphs. Camouflaging IPL hate under name of satire couldn't be more obvious.
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 14-05-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Whatever dude........you keep on making your own assumptions and then start giving explainations for that.....carry on.........

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    It's a good piece apart from those 3 rubbish paragraphs. Camouflaging IPL hate under name of satire couldn't be more obvious.
    Haha wow.

It ofcourse is. But the reasons behind their non selection was hardly a question of merit. It had to do with political gamesmanship.
    That wasn't what was said at the time though. The "official" line was that none of the franchises thought the Pakistani players in the auction was good enough, which given the calibre of Afridi, Gul and Ajmal in particular, was clearly absolute nonsense. Whilst I think there was an over-reaction from some Pakistanis, I can completely understand why they felt slighted.

The "official" line was that none of the franchises thought the Pakistani players in the auction was good enough...
    Link?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Link?
    Tbf, I'm relying on my own memory, I just remember being utterly mystified that Afridi in particular didn't go for a huge amount in the auction and the official line given was that the franchises didn't feel the Pakistan players were worthy additions to the side - despite the fact that T20 novices like Kemar Roach got signed to fat contracts.

Banned
    That wasn't what was said at the time though. The "official" line was that none of the franchises thought the Pakistani players in the auction was good enough, which given the calibre of Afridi, Gul and Ajmal in particular, was clearly absolute nonsense. Whilst I think there was an over-reaction from some Pakistanis, I can completely understand why they felt slighted.
    Shah Rukh Khan came out in open saying he was advised not to bid for Pak players. Or else he'd have definitely made a bid for Razzak.

While I do agree as a sporting decision it cost IPL a bit, it's impossible for it to take a decision without considering effects of it in the political sphere.

I think it was the right decision considering all aspects. But I would like to see them in a future IPL, with the exception of that **** Tanveer.

Tbf, I'm relying on my own memory, I just remember being utterly mystified that Afridi in particular didn't go for a huge amount in the auction and the official line given was that the franchises didn't feel the Pakistan players were worthy additions to the side - despite the fact that T20 novices like Kemar Roach got signed to fat contracts.
    Nah, not what happened.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information