• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals/Final - Australia, Sri Lanka, England and Pakistan

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, Lumb's not got a great List A record and his greatest strength this tournament has been how quickly he's scored his runs as opposed to how many runs he's scored. I see him purely as a T20 player just now - if he goes well for Hampshire domestically, by all means have a look at him in the ODIs against Bangladesh.
He's been good in the last few seasons, List A wise, though. I remember bringing him up as a possibility to get picked in ODIs before he showed up in T20.

Code:
[B]Season	Runs	Avg	S.R[/B]

2007	654	38.47	97.03
2008	498	38.30	89.09
2009	676	42.25	90.98
How many English batsmen actually have three good List A seasons in a row like that? Particularly at that strike rate. I think he's worth a go. Not ahead of Trott but if they can fit them both in they should go for it IMO.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Hmm, dunno if I fancy Pakistan here actually. Unlike South Africa last year, Australia are really rather good at semi-finals.
Not sure if you know this but S Africa didnt 'choke' in the semis last year, they played out of their skin and you couldnt fault their approach, Pakistan were just in unbeatable form.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He's been good in the last few seasons, List A wise, though. I remember bringing him up as a possibility to get picked in ODIs before he showed up in T20.

Code:
[B]Season	Runs	Avg	S.R[/B]

2007	654	38.47	97.03
2008	498	38.30	89.09
2009	676	42.25	90.98
How many English batsmen actually have three good List A seasons in a row like that? Particularly at that strike rate. I think he's worth a go. Not ahead of Trott but if they can fit them both in they should go for it IMO.
Stand corrected then.

JBH001

International Regular
Yeah, the new 'look' of the Australian team has me a little non-plussed. Whatever happened to the 'ugly Aussie'? :ph34r:

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
I can imagine English people picking up a newspaper and seeing the headline "England into cricket world cup final" and being excited. And then of course they find out a little bit more information that this "world cup" is held every couple of months and is soon forgotten pretty much by everyone. Now that India is out the BCCI has already forgotten this "world cup" and is probably dreaming up new "world cup" style tournaments they cram in the next few weeks.

Shame. Could have been a real shot in the arm for English cricket.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member

Code:
[B]Season    Runs    Avg    S.R[/B]

2007    654    38.47    97.03
2008    498    38.30    89.09
2009    676    42.25    90.98

Code:
[B]Season    Runs    Avg    S.R[/B]

2007    457    38.08    
2008    689    49.21    112.39
2009    658    50.61    117.50
guess the young English opener? can't find SR for 2007

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most definitely, should be in ahead of Kieswetter as well IMO but that's a different issue.

Sir Alex

Banned
I can imagine English people picking up a newspaper and seeing the headline "England into cricket world cup final" and being excited. And then of course they find out a little bit more information that this "world cup" is held every couple of months and is soon forgotten pretty much by everyone. Now that India is out the BCCI has already forgotten this "world cup" and is probably dreaming up new "world cup" style tournaments they cram in the next few weeks.

Pathetic. What has BCCI got to do with World T20s every year ffs?

Jayzamann

International Regular
The three pace amigos. I like that. You'd feel pretty cut as a Harris or Bollinger being picked in the same side as those guys, though. Did ZZ Top have a rhythm guitarist?

Teja.

Global Moderator

BCCI? You mean the ICC?

Agent TBY

International Captain
No, it's obviously the BCCI's fault. While we're at it, let's condemn the BCCI for asking Australia to play tests too. There's test cricket on every couple of months ffs, really lowers the value of the games. Everyone should just stop playing Cricket, then we can have one Ashes series every five years, and one World Cup every 10 years. It will be like in the old days, and will really be a shot in the arm for Cricket popularity.

Oh, and scrap the annual FA Cups, Champions' Leagues, World Series', Stanley Cups etc. Nobody even cares about winning those anymore.

Jayzamann

International Regular
No, it's obviously the BCCI's fault. While we're at it, let's condemn the BCCI for asking Australia to play tests too. There's test cricket on every couple of months ffs, really lowers the value of the games. Everyone should just stop playing Cricket, then we can have one Ashes series every five years, and one World Cup every 10 years. It will be like in the old days, and will really be a shot in the arm for Cricket popularity.

Oh, and scrap the annual FA Cups, Champions' Leagues, World Series', Stanley Cups etc. Nobody even cares about winning those anymore.
Need some warfare like the old days for that. Get a few first class cricketers drafted, that'll toughen them up.