Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: loving this format, 2020 has come of age

U19 Captain

loving this format, 2020 has come of age

I think this world cup has been very exciting and to be honest the format and the whole run rate situation has made it even more gripping to watch.

Whats remarkable is that teams have evolved in this format of the game over the 3 world cups. The domination through pure silky stroke play of Jayawerdene, short pitch bowling, brilliant fielding and adaptive spin has forced teams to look for more than just flat track big hitters. I think initially we all assumed 2020 would hardly resemble cricket in its purest form but there certainly is room for traditional cricketing brilliance through all the chaos and pace.

The 3 world cups have been awesome and have all offered something different, its been very refreshing to see good sporting wickets and pace test the opposition.

Lets hope the semis and the finals can live up to the billing.

International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    I hate this format
    Supported Indian Cricket from 1992-2000 (till the match fixing scandal)

Long Live Test Cricket

Banned
    It's too short to be played at International level. Better leave such stuff to club level. Also the tournament structuring has not exactly helped to improve my views about it as well.

Won't mind the one odd t20 as a crowd puller in a bilateral series. Because it serves that purpose, to get crowds to watch cricket. Not sure how a multinational engagement involving minnows succeed in that. Not even West Indies matches were sell outs. India matches were at best half full.

A world cup every year, makes the audience bored. ICC is just killing the golden goose.
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 12-05-2010 at 01:08 AM.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    The first TT world cup was the pinnacle of the format; since then it's been downhill all the way.

The problem is its been less than 12 months since the last World Cup.

That has nothing to do with the actual format of T20 though, which I must admit I've fallen into the trap of liking it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I love the format... but schedul the next WC at Aus/NZ plz... hopefully if it is before IPL, our guys will be a bit moe serious abt it????

But seriously, have loved the format all the time. Juz feel it should almost always have a fast outfield, reasonably big boundaries (75 yards) and a bit in it for the bowlers, like at least hard and good bounce... Those conditions produce the most interesting T20 cricket AFAIC..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

So have every game at Barbados

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    It's too short to be played at International level. Better leave such stuff to club level. Also the tournament structuring has not exactly helped to improve my views about it as well.

Won't mind the one odd t20 as a crowd puller in a bilateral series. Because it serves that purpose, to get crowds to watch cricket. Not sure how a multinational engagement involving minnows succeed in that. Not even West Indies matches were sell outs. India matches were at best half full.

A world cup every year, makes the audience bored. ICC is just killing the golden goose.
    Well no ****, they're a foreign team and the games they played in started at 9:30 in the morning.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Indians are everywhere man. We're taking over the planet.

Every game around the world is pretty much a home game

except Perth

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    So have every game at Barbados
    lol... The boundaries were too short there though..

U19 Captain
    Most certainly agree that there should be a 4 year gap between any sort of world cup. To have another one within a year is just stupid.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    It's too short to be played at International level. Better leave such stuff to club level.

Won't mind the one odd t20 as a crowd puller in a bilateral series. Because it serves that purpose, to get crowds to watch cricket.

Have to share this view. Don't mind the odd game but god, its fairly repetitive
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Don't think it helps having it come immediately after an IPL season. Getting to the point where although the tournament's been good, I just want to get back to Test Cricket.

Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

^
    Brilliant.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information