• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan most fluke team (and discussion about tournament structure fairness)

Thirdman1

Banned
I mean in 2009 also they just won 1 match against major nations and reached semi-final. And in 2010 also there is chance of winning against SA and reaching semi-finals .

Entire format of this tournament needs to be changed :@

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure what the thread title means but there can surely never have been a flukier Pakistan team than the 1992 world cup team which was saved from elimination in the first round by rain whilst being thoroughly drubbed by England.

I forget, of course, what later transpired.

Sir Alex

Banned
I mean in 2009 also they just won 1 match against major nations and reached semi-final. And in 2010 also there is chance of winning against SA and reaching semi-finals .

Entire format of this tournament needs to be changed :@

Whatever is applicable to them is exactly applicable to us as well. If they beat SA, and if they possess the better run rate, they indeed deserve to go into the semis, although it may not be due to the fact that they're superb, but because they were the better among the remaining teams.

Still looks unlikely them making semis.

Thirdman1

Banned
Whatever is applicable to them is exactly applicable to us as well. If they beat SA, and if they possess the better run rate, they indeed deserve to go into the semis, although it may not be due to the fact that they're superb, but because they were the better among the remaining teams.

Still looks unlikely them making semis.
No NZ can atleast claim they defeated 2 out of 4 major nations(SL and Pak). None of SA and Pak deserve to go with 1 win out of 4 against major nations to semi-final of a major cricket tournament.

This entire format sucks to be honest.

Sir Alex

Banned
No NZ can atleast claim they defeated 2 out of 4 major nations(SL and Pak). None of SA and Pak deserve to go with 1 win out of 4 against major nations to semi-final of a major cricket tournament.

This entire format sucks to be honest.
I agree the absence of carry forward points from group stages is a dampener.

Also the whole super eight thing looks odd for me. India could win the next two matches and still be out of the tournament, while Pak could qualify with just one win in the super eight. That'd be farcical.

A probably better way could be to determine semifinalists by the number of points in super eight regardless of groups. For example, if in our group, three teams, Aus, SL, Ind finish with 4 points, and in Group F, Eng finishes on 6 points, and the rest three on 2 points each, then, the three teams from Group E plus Eng should be allowed to play semis. There might be repetitions, but atleast it is fairer, as the best teams get to play finals.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I agree the absence of carry forward points from group stages is a dampener.

Also the whole super eight thing looks odd for me. India could win the next two matches and still be out of the tournament, while Pak could qualify with just one win in the super eight. That'd be farcical.

A probably better way could be to determine semifinalists by the number of points in super eight regardless of groups. For example, if in our group, three teams, Aus, SL, Ind finish with 4 points, and in Group F, Eng finishes on 6 points, and the rest three on 2 points each, then, the three teams from Group E plus Eng should be allowed to play semis. There might be repetitions, but atleast it is fairer, as the best teams get to play finals.
No it's not.

Sir Alex

Banned
No it's not.
Please explain.

This is bordering on the farcical. Pakistan will enter semis if they beat SA, and England beat NZ, both of which looks probable. Run rates don't matter then as both SA and NZ's run rates are below that of Pak.
So we'll witness a situation where a team despite losing more than it won enter the semis. :laugh: And to say one of the two Pak wins came against Ban.

And should we see India going out on run rates even after winning the next 2 matches, because Sri Lanka beat Aus, and Aus beat WI, all hell will break

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I think its time the scrap the super 8 round esp. in 20/20 cricket and just play the tournament like the world cup soccer version. meaning the winner world need to win atleast 5 games to win the tournament and the last 3 in a row.

Sir Alex

Banned
Pakistan beating SA is probable? Bull.
It's a t20 mate, anybody can beat anyone. Did you actually think England would've thrashed SA like they did yesterday?

Also as Lostman said, it's a must win for both, past history points to one team accustomed to coming back from the death, and the other helping to do so. ;)

Sir Alex

Banned
I think its time the scrap the super 8 round esp. in 20/20 cricket and just play the tournament like the world cup soccer version. meaning the winner world need to win atleast 5 games to win the tournament and the last 3 in a row.
I think they should do it in the style of old Champions trophy by making it a knockout.

Every match would get interesting that way without bringing in complexities of run rates etc.

They should scrap the existing Champions trophy and put this championship in it's place. Also it shouldn't be called or regarded as World Cup, which should be only for one days, but name it t20 champions trophy. It will be cricketing equivalent of FA cup.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Please explain.

This is bordering on the farcical. Pakistan will enter semis if they beat SA, and England beat NZ, both of which looks probable. Run rates don't matter then as both SA and NZ's run rates are below that of Pak.
So we'll witness a situation where a team despite losing more than it won enter the semis. :laugh: And to say one of the two Pak wins came against Ban.

And should we see India going out on run rates even after winning the next 2 matches, because Sri Lanka beat Aus, and Aus beat WI, all hell will break
Too bad, if India don't qualify they only have themselves to blame for not winning the games they needed to.

Don't see how that makes the format "farcical." Win all your games, you win the tournament.

Sir Alex

Banned
Too bad, if India don't qualify they only have themselves to blame for not winning the games they needed to.

Don't see how that makes the format "farcical." Win all your games, you win the tournament.
Seems to be an invalid statement in case of Pakistan. They somehow can still reach semi without winning even half of their games.