• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan most fluke team (and discussion about tournament structure fairness)

Sir Alex

Banned
No, every game is equally important.
Really? Then how come a team that has won 2 and lost 3 are making it te the semi? Isn't the purpose of group matches to find the best 4 teams in the tournament? Are you suggesting a team that beat Bangladesh and now an out of sorts South Africa, but has lost to NZ, Eng and Aus deserve the semis?

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Really? Then how come a team that has won 2 and lost 3 are making it te the semi? Isn't the purpose of group matches to find the best 4 teams in the tournament? Are you suggesting a team that beat Bangladesh and now an out of sorts South Africa, but has lost to NZ, Eng and Aus deserve the semis?
Calm down.

Its the same rules for everyone.

Sir Alex

Banned
Pak improves its chances for the semis, depends up on the Eng-NZ game's result

If Pak makes it to the semis, once again they would have done it by beating just one major team in two rounds :-O .... Last time, they went through by beating just one major team (NZ) in two rounds

If NZ doesn't make it then have to feel sorry for it as it has played some cool cricket so far, i.e. beat SL (chasing) and Pak (defending a low total)
They have won more matches than Pakistan and yet could be out of the tournament. What a joke!

They must have carry forward in the prelim group stages.

Faisal1985

I just wonder if people would show the same level of criticism if it was any other team in the position that Pak is.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If they finish 2nd in the group, then it's because New Zealand and South Africa will have done worse than them, so yes, they will deserve it.

India can qualify by hoping Australia beat West Indies and by beating Sri Lanka.

NasserFan207

Tbf Faisal, Pakistan haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in recent times. I think a lot of people view them as a bit of a joke.

Personally, I still like 'em. Great entertainment value imo.

Sir Alex

Banned
Calm down.

Its the same rules for everyone.

But if the rules are so stupid like this, whereby the best 4 teams don't face off in semi, (and by best, based on wins in the tournament, not any subjective criteria), then ICC deserves the slack it is getting now.

I would've said exactly the same had it been India instead of Pakistan also. A bit mellow though. :p

Lostman

State Captain
If they finish 2nd in the group, then it's because New Zealand and South Africa will have done worse than them, so yes, they will deserve it.

India can qualify by hoping Australia beat West Indies and by beating Sri Lanka.
My thoughts exactly.
This whole deserving argument makes no sense.

Lostman

State Captain
But if the rules are so stupid like this, whereby the best 4 teams don't face off in semi, (and by best, based on wins in the tournament, not any subjective criteria), then ICC deserves the slack it is getting now.
So who are the best 4 teams then?

NasserFan207

I would've said exactly the same had it been India instead of Pakistan also. A bit mellow though. :p
Eh, I like it. This way there are less dead rubbers, since teams nearly always have a chance to go through. Adds more excitement.

Sir Alex

Banned

I give up. :(

If a team that has a 60 per cent loss rate can be considered as one of the 4 best teams in a tournament, ahead of teams with much higher win rates, then it shows the rules are screwed up.

I don't care India qualifies or not. I feel they don't deserve to, but if at all they do, then they can atleast justify themselves by saying they have more number of wins than losses anyway.

Sir Alex

Banned
So who are the best 4 teams then?
So how do you justify Pak being one among the top 4, when they have lost 3 and won 2 so far?

They should've had carry forward from prelim stage. In which case, it should be NZ and Eng from Group E, and Aus and based on results of matches tomorrow. If SL beats Ind, and Aus beat WI, then the one who has better run rate among SL and WI. If WI beat Aus, WI must go through regardless of result of Ind vs Sl.

They should replace this idiotic prelim and super 8 thing, with just a super 10 with 2 groups of 5 each. 8 out of them will be full members, and remaining two associates.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I give up. :(

If a team that has a 60 per cent loss rate can be considered as one of the 4 best teams in a tournament, ahead of teams with much higher win rates, then it shows the rules are screwed up.

I don't care India qualifies or not. I feel they don't deserve to, but if at all they do, then they can atleast justify themselves by saying they have more number of wins than losses anyway.
Ok, name 3 teams that'll have a higher win rate than Pakistan if they go through. Certainly not New Zealand or South Africa.

Sir Alex

Banned
Ok, name 3 teams that'll have a higher win rate than Pakistan if they go through. Certainly not New Zealand or South Africa.
:huh: NZ has won 3 already. Even if they lose today, would have a better win rate than Pak.

Australia and England already have better win rates, add to that West Indies too.

One of India or Sri Lanka would be having a better win rate as well after super 8.

So that makes it 5 teams who'd have more wins than Pakistan at the end of super 8.

Sir Alex

Banned
And oh, it seems Sri Lanka could also be a beneficiary of ICC's moronic structuring. They could lose to India by a small margin and yet reach semi if Aus beat WI. They hence would be in a similar position as Pakistan, with wins against Zim, WI and losses against Ind, NZ and Aus.

Thus we might see two such semifinalists. Dire.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So how do you justify Pak being one among the top 4, when they have lost 3 and won 2 so far?

They should've had carry forward from prelim stage. In which case, it should be NZ and Eng from Group E, and Aus and based on results of matches tomorrow. If SL beats Ind, and Aus beat WI, then the one who has better run rate among SL and WI. If WI beat Aus, WI must go through regardless of result of Ind vs Sl.

They should replace this idiotic prelim and super 8 thing, with just a super 10 with 2 groups of 5 each. 8 out of them will be full members, and remaining two associates.
You justify it because the tourney has moved to a different phase.

In the 1998 Football WC two teams did not lose a single match in thw whole tourney. One team, Les Frogs, won the tourney. The other, Australia, didn't even make the finals as they drew 2-2 at home in the last qualifying match vs Iran.

There was much gnashing of teeth here I can.tell you, but they were the rules, and every team knew what it had to do to qualify before they started.

It's not always fun, but them's the rules.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
You justify it because the tourney has moved to a different phase.

In the 1998 Football WC two teams did not lose a single match in thw wholte tourney. One team, Les Frogs, won the tourney. The other, Australia, didn't even make the final as they drew 2-2 at home in the last qualifying match vs Iran.

There was much gnashing of teeth here I can.tell you, but they were the rules, and every team knew what it had to do to qualify before they started.

It's not always fun, but them's the rules.
The difference is that in football, there are 3 results possible, win, draw or loss.

Out of curiousity, did any team which qualified at their expense had a lower win rate than Australia at the point of latter's exit?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesus Alex, how come you're the only one on the planet who can't see that the system is perfectly fair and reasonable.