• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan most fluke team (and discussion about tournament structure fairness)

Sir Alex

Banned
So it would seem, yeah. :ph34r:

It's just such a Dickinsonesque argument (in that SA presupposes the correctness of an assumption and then uses it to support a contention, in this case that prelim games exist "to find 4 best teams of the lot") I couldn't resist a playful jab.
Well of course you're free to provide your views as to the purpose of the league games then. :) Or the need for having it as it is now, ie, league-SF-finals.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well of course you're free to provide your views as to the purpose of the league games then. :) Or the need for having it as it is now, ie, league-SF-finals.
Think Prince nailed it, myself:

What I can't understand is the inability to recognise that the goal for each team of each stage of the tournament is merely to reach the next one.
The group stages are necessary in the first round(s) to ramp up the total number of games for television and to give every team (weather permitting) a guaranteed number of outings.

I don't see any compelling arguments for carrying forward results from one round to the next; as I said before it raises the spectre of attempts at collusion like we saw in 1999. If a team isn't good enough to beat their opponents in subsequent rounds it seems unfair to me their results in previous chapters could separate them.