Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to prepare yourself for bouncy wicket ?

Banned

How to prepare yourself for bouncy wicket ?

I have heard various theories. But one that i remember is Tendulkar despite lack of genuine quick bowlers in India, uses this 15 yard technique where he would bat 15 yard from bowler as against 22 yards. He would practice with wet Tennis ball to practice that. I am not even sure if these guys adopt any kind of practice to negotiate short stuffs. Even if you don't score you should be able to leave it comfortably.

Another technique is having a throw down from someone in different areas and different heights to improve the reflex. It is generally a responsibility of coach. Kirsten has to step in big time here.
    This is getting beyond joke now.

I mean what is Kirsten doing as coach.

Play on a matting wicket against your own bowlers.

That's how Aravinda de Silva became so good with hook, pull and cut. His school only had matting wickets by 1980.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Attend academy. Crank bowling machine to 90 mph. Tip machine down so facing half way down pitch. Put helmet on. Pray.

Repeat until proficient.

In the fair dinkum stakes though, throw downs aren't bad. Have seen the Test guys work on their short-ball techniques this way. And it can be worked on - Hayden had problems with it early, but went away and just worked his arse off on the problem. Came back a fine player of the short ball.

Did enjoy the look on Raina's face the other night after he top edged the first one for four. All due respect to the kid, he did not want to be there.

But these guys are talented players. If they work on it they can overcome the problems they have with it. Part of that would be to get over the macho idea that you have to take the short stuff on all the time. You'd don't, as Steve Waugh demonstrated.

Still, confess I'm hoping the WACA is back to its glory days when India next tours.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Attend academy. Crank bowling machine to 90 mph. Tip machine down so facing half way down pitch. Put helmet on. Pray.

Repeat until proficient.

In the fair dinkum stakes though, throw downs aren't bad. Have seen the Test guys work on their short-ball techniques this way. And it can be worked on - Hayden had problems with it early, but went away and just worked his arse off on the problem. Came back a fine player of the short ball.

Did enjoy the look on Raina's face the other night after he top edged the first one for four. All due respect to the kid, he did not want to be there.

But these guys are talented players. If they work on it they can overcome the problems they have with it. Part of that would be to get over the macho idea that you have to take the short stuff on all the time. You'd don't, as Steve Waugh demonstrated.

Still, confess I'm hoping the WACA is back to its glory days when India next tours.]
    Tendulkar and Sehwag would still be in the team.

Banned
    Yeah it is correctable.

In fact everything in cricket is correctable, but nothing will happen because you've your national captain writing it off as a problem endemic to us.

Bring on more flat tracks. Why waste time on something trivial as correcting one's technique when one can use that time for more ad engagements?

When one encounters such wicket, why bother to turn up? Why embarrass with batting displays that would put even novices to shame? Please Dhoni, when next time you encounter such a pitch, and 150 k bowlers at the other end, just forfeit it, and save us the blushes.

Anyway we fans are bunch of retards who'll forget it as if it never happened, with the next 200plus score on a road, no matter who the opposition are.

Why bother about planning to win in Aus and SA, as long as you're assured of No.1 rankings just because the rankings system is such a **** up? Or when you've Sachin and Dravid to prop you up in such instances anyways?

All izz well with Indian cricket right? As long as we get to laugh at our neighbour's misfortunes, why bother to look at ourselves?
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 08-05-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdman1 View Post
    Tendulkar and Sehwag would still be in the team.
    Sehwag for sure, Tendlukar, who knows? Will be a couple years older too if he is.

Will be interesting. I hope he tours again. Got a top reception here last time when people thought it was his last tour. If he gets back this time then would be his last tour for sure and there would be an even bigger reception I think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Sehwag for sure, Tendlukar, who knows? Will be a couple years older too if he is.

Will be interesting. I hope he tours again. Got a top reception here last time when people thought it was his last tour. If he gets back this time then would be his last tour for sure and there would be an even bigger reception I think.
    18 more months. I hope he'll continue the same form. I hope he'll break the record for oldest test centurian since 1950.

Who holds the record now?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Who holds the record now?
    Boycott I think.

Edit. It is someone named Rowan. Simpson made a century at 41

If Sachin decides to go for it, I hope he'll target the first name in that list, Sir Jack, who scored a ton at 46.

Records | Test matches | Batting records | Oldest player to score a hundred | Cricinfo.com
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 08-05-2010 at 11:59 PM.

If Sachin comes to Australia AGAIN I will go to every day of every test match in this country.

I thought his last tour was his last.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

vcs
    Thought the Perth wicket was pretty good last time India toured. There was a little bit there for everyone, and the technically solid Indian batsmen like Dravid, Sachin and Laxman did well.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I would love for the old WACA wicket to make a comeback. It's Test cricket, learn2adapt. People bitching about pitches is the one thing that pisses me above all else. Aside from the usual whinging about subcontinental wickets when their lack of skills are exposed, the subcontinental fans still bitch about NZ wickets in 2002-2003 tour. Deal with it, the conditions were the same for both teams, one team played better. If you don't like it, go play some hit and giggle BS.

Old WACA wicket was one of the highlights of any tour IMO, what's the point of every pitch being 'good for fast bowlers early, settling down days 2-3, then offering turn for spinners'. That's about as yawn inducing as it gets (almost, not quite as yawn inducing as wickets where you shut your eyes, plonk your front foot down and swing away to a 50+ average).
    Last edited by silentstriker; 09-05-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I would love for the old WACA wicket to make a comeback. It's Test cricket, learn2adapt. People bitching about pitches is the one thing that pisses me above all else. Aside from the usual whinging about subcontinental wickets when their lack of skills are exposed, the subcontinental fans still bitch about NZ wickets in 2002-2003 tour. Deal with it, the conditions were the same for both teams, one team played better. If you don't like it, go play some hit and giggle BS.

Old WACA wicket was one of the highlights of any tour IMO, what's the point of every pitch being 'good for fast bowlers early, settling down days 2-3, then offering turn for spinners'. That's about as yawn inducing as it gets (almost, not quite as yawn inducing as wickets where you shut your eyes, plonk your front foot down and swing away to a 50+ average).
    Stop writing rubbish. No one crossed 200 runs in the entire series. And then be prepared for Kanpur and Mumbai type of pitch as well. Don't cry and go to match refree

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Stop writing rubbish. No one crossed 200 runs in the entire series.
    Welcome to Test cricket. It's supposed to test different skills.

And then be prepared for Kanpur and Mumbai type of pitch as well.
    Those pitches were fine too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Welcome to Test cricket. It's supposed to test different skills.

Those pitches were fine too.
    Really ICC asked India to stop preparing those pitches
    And NZ didn't play better than India in that series.
    Win the toss and win the match in ODIS. And in test had Srinath bothered to play, India could have easily rolled on NZ . Zaheer was the main bowler and he bowled well and he lacked a support fast bowler.

Srinath was the best bowler in ODI series

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information