Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to prepare yourself for bouncy wicket ?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdman1 View Post
    Really ICC asked India to stop preparing those pitches
    ICC asked for an explanation because the match ref complained. The match ref bought into the idiocy that good for pace = good, and good for spin = bad. And ICC are stupid. Paper pushing idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdman1 View Post
    And NZ didn't play better than India in that series.
    Win the toss and win the match in ODIS. And in test had Srinath bothered to play, India could have easily rolled on NZ . Zaheer was the main bowler and he bowled well and he lacked a support fast bowler.

Srinath was the best bowler in ODI series
    Don't care or want to care what happened to ODIs. Don't really want to argue who played better. One team won, the pitches were fine. End of story.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 09-05-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I think I just want to see variety in pitches. If every pitch bounced and moved deluxe it would get boring too. Same when the majority are roads or if they all broke up and spun.

As SS said, it's test cricket, different conditions is what It should be about imo.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Banned
    What really happened to old Perth pitch? I remember it being called during it's and West Indies' glory days. But of late it's just another flat track with reasonable bounce. Was it deliberately made mellow or weather factors made it so?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    What really happened to old Perth pitch? I remember it being called during it's and West Indies' glory days. But of late it's just another flat track with reasonable bounce. Was it deliberately made mellow or weather factors made it so?
    Think it just got old and slowed down mate.

Sadly, a familiar feeling for some of us

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Has been dug up multiple times over the years and apparently the soil used has progressively been lower in clay. Can't blame the dry weather, Perth is always bloody dry. Pretty sure the WACA Test in '97 where Greg Blewett was bowled by Ambrose by an impossible grubber helped hasten changes in the pitch, especially after they sacked the curator.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

I want Old Perth Wicket back, I want 3 people hit per Innings, I want blood, I don't want centuries, I want bloody test cricket.

The NZ series was friggin' awesome.

It certainly was not deliberate. The WACA loved the reputation of having the fastest pitch in the world and are doing everything possible to restore it to that state.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Attend academy. Crank bowling machine to 90 mph. Tip machine down so facing half way down pitch. Put helmet on. Pray.

Repeat until proficient.

In the fair dinkum stakes though, throw downs aren't bad. Have seen the Test guys work on their short-ball techniques this way. And it can be worked on - Hayden had problems with it early, but went away and just worked his arse off on the problem. Came back a fine player of the short ball.

Did enjoy the look on Raina's face the other night after he top edged the first one for four. All due respect to the kid, he did not want to be there.

But these guys are talented players. If they work on it they can overcome the problems they have with it. Part of that would be to get over the macho idea that you have to take the short stuff on all the time. You'd don't, as Steve Waugh demonstrated.

Still, confess I'm hoping the WACA is back to its glory days when India next tours.
    What you say makes sense and to be completely honest, quite a few of this outfit CAN, IMO, take the short stuff in test cricket and ODIs, to an extent, where they can duck or weave away and leave the balls alone.

It is pretty different in T20s though where the nature of the game dictates that you need to attack the ball, no matter where it is pitched... I am in fact pretty amazed that the same tactic is not tried against other teams. If you got guys who can bowl short and quick, then have them do it in T20s, AFAIC... It is difficult to get the pull and hook right every time, esp. with 5 men on the onside and 2 deep behind square and the risk of playing these shots for a single means it is always a worthwhile tactic.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    What you say makes sense and to be completely honest, quite a few of this outfit CAN, IMO, take the short stuff in test cricket and ODIs, to an extent, where they can duck or weave away and leave the balls alone.

It is pretty different in T20s though where the nature of the game dictates that you need to attack the ball, no matter where it is pitched... I am in fact pretty amazed that the same tactic is not tried against other teams. If you got guys who can bowl short and quick, then have them do it in T20s, AFAIC... It is difficult to get the pull and hook right every time, esp. with 5 men on the onside and 2 deep behind square and the risk of playing these shots for a single means it is always a worthwhile tactic.
    Yeah. It's a risk/ reward strategy for sure, but in this day and age where blokes bomb knee high balls over long off for six, it's worth a shot for sure.

In fairness to the Indians (and everyone else, really), OZ are the only team with two all-out speed merchants. Their play against the short stuff might not have been awesome but literally everyone has struggled against Nannes/Tait. As long as they're on top of their games, it'll be tough. OZ's worries will start if both of them have an off-day on the same day, though, and the problem is that they might both do so in, say, the final. Without a good first 6 from them, the rest of the Aussie attack looks a whole lot worse.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 10-05-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    well, at least my predictions are coming true for Australia and India.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    In fairness to the Indians (and everyone else, really), OZ are the only team with two all-out speed merchants. Their play against the short stuff might not have been awesome but literally everyone has struggled against Nannes/Tait. As long as they're on top of their games, it'll be tough. OZ's worries will start if both of them have an off-day on the same day, though, and the problem is that they might both do so in, say, the final. Without a good first 6 from them, the rest of the Aussie attack looks a whole lot worse.
    This.

Yeah some good posts here.

Will state though that the pitch is obviously relevant. There are times during the IPL when Nannes was unplayable. Other times he struggled when either he was having an off day, or the pitch was too damn flat or slow.

Barbados has been perfect, and Nannes and Tait have bowled well in conditions that suited. That = trouble, particularly when teams are batting 2nd and have the pressure to chase down a total.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Thanks Burgey, Top Cat and Debris.

I remember reading somewhere it being referred to as an Away pitch for Australia, (or was it home pitch for Windies?) during the 80s and early 90s.

Yeh and that's even with a side stacked with Perth natives generally. Gah, does my head in thinking about some of the panic selections of the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information