• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa

slippy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Will they be disappointed if they dont win the 2010 icc world twenty20, they have the best team on paper. They have not won a major international tournament and are always known as chokers, will there luck change this tournament.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The very nature of Twenty20 cricket makes it very hard to predict. Two or three bad overs can lose you a game.

Wide open competition ATM. Good team on paper means very little in this format, you need a couple of players to be in red hot form, and every team seems to have that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oz have the best team on paper, IMHO. SA don't have quite enough dashers in the top order for my liking. The Oz skipper the only real weak link in their chain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah exactly. Australia clearly the best team on paper. Fearsome bowling attack, brilliant top and middle order, and a dude with bleached hair and tattoos to do the interviews.

tooextracool

International Coach
How is Australia the best team on paper? They dont have a half decent spinner or a slow bowler on their side. Australia has a good batting lineup and their fast bowling is good but not exceptional but if you ask me NZ have the best all round side this tournament.

tooextracool

International Coach
And SA are an average team. Lets just get that straight. Im finding it hard to see how they have a remotely good side on paper,especially when you consider that they are playing in the Caribbean.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How is Australia the best team on paper? They dont have a half decent spinner or a slow bowler on their side. Australia has a good batting lineup and their fast bowling is good but not exceptional but if you ask me NZ have the best all round side this tournament.
Smith & Hussey minor have gone ok and a pace attack with three genuinely brisk bowlers who all swing it is a frightening prospect.

Harris no slouch either.

tooextracool

International Coach
Smith & Hussey minor have gone ok and a pace attack with three genuinely brisk bowlers who all swing it is a frightening prospect.

Harris no slouch either.
All fine and good but all their pace bowlers are 145k +. They're missing variety in their attack. They have a good attack playing in Australia, SA or maybe even England but in the WI when they come up with slower wickets they will be missing someone who can take the pace off the ball. They are a good side, no doubt about it, but they dont have the same all round balance that NZ does.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Watson? Johnson has a killer slower ball too.

& Can't see how Bond, Mills, Butler & Styris/Oram is in the same league as Nannes, Tait, Johnson & Watson. Speed isn't the only variable either, Oz have two leftie seamers for variety.

tooextracool

International Coach
Watson? Johnson has a killer slower ball too.

& Can't see how Bond, Mills, Butler & Styris/Oram is in the same league as Nannes, Tait, Johnson & Watson. Speed isn't the only variable either, Oz have two leftie seamers for variety.
The world cup is in the WI, you need slower bowlers and the best bowlers this competition are spin bowlers. Australia have none, steve smith doesnt count. Its fine on the bouncier pitches in Barbados, but when they get to St Lucia it will be a bit different.

On NZ, Vettori has a better record than all of the above mentioned bowlers and Nathan McCullum has been brilliant all tournament. The point is that they have an attack for all seasons which Australia dont have.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The world cup is in the WI, you need slower bowlers and the best bowlers this competition are spin bowlers. Australia have none, steve smith doesnt count. Its fine on the bouncier pitches in Barbados, but when they get to St Lucia it will be a bit different.

On NZ, Vettori has a better record than all of the above mentioned bowlers and Nathan McCullum has been brilliant all tournament. The point is that they have an attack for all seasons which Australia dont have.
Ok, even if, for the purposes of brevity, we allow that NZ's attack is better, a cricket team isn't just a bowling attack. Australia's batting much stronger than NZ's, which I took into account when I said they have the best team on paper.

tooextracool

International Coach
Ok, even if, for the purposes of brevity, we allow that NZ's attack is better, a cricket team isn't just a bowling attack. Australia's batting much stronger than NZ's, which I took into account when I said they have the best team on paper.
Im not sure if I agree with that. NZ bats down all the way till 9. Australia really have 4 batsmen of note: Warner , Watson, Hussey and Hussey. Clarke and Haddin have dodgy records and White is in poor form.

Its t20 and NZ have players who can score rapidfire 30s and thats the need of the game.

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah I fail to see how Aus are the best team on paper. They did well in that one game because the pitch was tailor-made for their bowling attack combined by some pretty atrocious batting by the indians. Tait, Johnson, and Watson all have the potential to be absolutely DECIMATED on an unfavorable wicket in this format of the game. Nannes is the only bowler who can be expected to bowl with success consistently on typical West-Indian wickets. They are not a better side on paper than any of the other big teams.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I fail to see how Aus are the best team on paper. They did well in that one game because the pitch was tailor-made for their bowling attack combined by some pretty atrocious batting by the indians. Tait, Johnson, and Watson all have the potential to be absolutely DECIMATED on an unfavorable wicket in this format of the game. Nannes is the only bowler who can be expected to bowl with success consistently on typical West-Indian wickets. They are not a better side on paper than any of the other big teams.
Yeah but the thing is, they are better on paper than the others, and are surely favourites now

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think England have a better allround team than Australia at present.Just my opinion and i will probably be disagreed with but there you go.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Will they be disappointed if they dont win the 2010 icc world twenty20, they have the best team on paper. They have not won a major international tournament and are always known as chokers, will there luck change this tournament.
Struggling to see how South Africa can be the best team on paper when their batting is crap.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah but the thing is, they are better on paper than the others, and are surely favourites now
Did you watch the game against Bangladesh? Not to mention they lost to Zimbabwe in the warm ups. They have done well against 2 teams so far who were largely out of depth against the faster bowlers and lets face it its not the first time we've seen India bat like muppets against 145+ bowlers that dug the ball into their body.

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
The way pietersen and kieswetter played today SA should feel more positive about their chance.... oh wait that was England