• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F (Super 8) - Sri Lanka, Australia, India, West Indies

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Praveen Kumar injured and Umesh(wtf?!?) Yadav called up. Should have gone for Irfan Pathan imo.
Presumably wanted some genuine pace given the pitches they're likely to come on. Hasn't got great stats but he was impressive in patches in the IPL and probably as quick as Indian seamers about.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Was poo in the IPL with the ball. Yadav is exciting, but would've loved to see Dinda.
Is decent enough as a t20 bowler when used in the middle overs instead of the death overs. Plus he adds a quality batting option. Plays good pull shots. Can be as destructive as Yusuf when he slogs away.

Sir Alex

Banned
Is decent enough as a t20 bowler when used in the middle overs instead of the death overs. Plus he adds a quality batting option. Plays good pull shots. Can be as destructive as Yusuf when he slogs away.
And has come good about as much as his elder bro in t20is. We are chokeful of willowwielders and the last thing we need is a bowling allrounder who bleeds with the ball much more regularly than he comes any good with the bat. Really can do without him. His pace and length (chap doesn't have a yorker to save his life still) combined with lack of swing, would make him the ideal fodder for Aussies.

Plus our middle overs need to be used to bowl out our 5 th bowling options and other spinners.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Was poo in the IPL with the ball. Yadav is exciting, but would've loved to see Dinda.

And has come good about as much as his elder bro in t20is. We are chokeful of willowwielders and the last thing we need is a bowling allrounder who bleeds with the ball much more regularly than he comes any good with the bat. Really can do without him. His pace and length (chap doesn't have a yorker to save his life still) combined with lack of swing, would make him the ideal fodder for Aussies.

Plus our middle overs need to be used to bowl out our 5 th bowling options and other spinners.
The Pathans may have their problems, but they're not atrociously bad as you make them out to be. At worst, they're still worth their selections in the first XI, as also RP Singh. Umesh Yadav is a longshot of a selection and Ashok Dinda's is a selection on thin ice.

They have their problems, but they can be excused. Other teams manage with players as good, so there's no reason why India can't.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
<3 Umesh. I'd throw him the ball at the death over Praveen, tbh. Some rock solid internaitonal experience right now might do wonders for his long-term Indian prospects.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
<3 Umesh. I'd throw him the ball at the death over Praveen, tbh. Some rock solid internaitonal experience right now might do wonders for his long-term Indian prospects.
He appears to be another Parthiv Patel- just not good enough to make the squad, picked only on youth and promise.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
India will depend squarely on Gambhir, Yuvraj, Dhoni and Raina, as also IPL form player Rohit Sharma for a big score. All of the above are in good form, and it was disappointing to see Rohit on the bench for the first two games. Ideally, India should play six batsmen, including Dhoni, and have Yusuf Pathan at seven. He's not quite an ideal top-six batsman, but will fortify that hollow, brittle lower-order. Strangely, he's also India's best spinner on show in this tournament. The bowling can have Zaheer, Nehra, Vinay and Harbhajan, with Yusuf filling the quota for the fifth- the best combination at hand. To sum it up, pick the form players, ride the form wave and make the most of it, and avoid risky strategies solely on expectation.

R_D

International Debutant
India better make a big score if Umesh Yadav's going to bowl...... I've been impressed in couple of his spells but he's still too raw for International cricket... would've preferred Irfan Pathan or someone else over him.

This is a tough little group to get out of..... Worried about tonight's match for some reason. I just don't trust this Indian team to do well... i don't know why.
They surprised me when they beat South Africa.

andyc

Pretty sure it's 11:30 Sydney time. Definitely watchable, annoyed it's the missus' birthday tonight tbh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty sure it's 11:30 Sydney time. Definitely watchable, annoyed it's the missus' birthday tonight tbh.
Pretty inconsiderate of her mate. You'd think she'd change it.

Still, by 11.30 dinner should be done. Imagine you'll have the rest of the night to yourself then.. :ph34r:

andyc

Pretty inconsiderate of her mate. You'd think she'd change it.

Still, by 11.30 dinner should be done. Imagine you'll have the rest of the night to yourself then.. :ph34r:
Have heard it suggested that I could just watch it after midnight, since it's not her birthday any more. Can't see it going down well though, tbh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^^ Yeah. Lead balloon I would think.

Like the logic though.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Watson is going to murder us tonight. Have a feeling we'll bowl right into his hitting zone :(