Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Group F (Super 8) - Sri Lanka, Australia, India, West Indies

School Boy/Girl Captain GraemeSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Yeah, but that was a different team. Had Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag, Ganguly etc.

I hope Melbourne 08 doesn't repeat, but sadly don't see why it couldn't. Given there is no Sehwag.

lol you are citing Ganguly as an example of good player of short bowling? I saw a few of his matches in the IPL and he was having trouble handling the short ball even on indian pitches.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Yeah, but that was a different team. Had Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag, Ganguly etc.

I hope Melbourne 08 doesn't repeat, but sadly don't see why it couldn't. Given there is no Sehwag.
    They weren't there in the 2007 T20 WC though.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Rohit is pretty woeful with the pull shot tbh.

And yeah Australia to walk this group en route to winning the trophy. India to suck big time.
    Am surprised at this sentiment HB. Genuinely reckon Aus could get pumped here and not even go through tbh.

I confess though I haven't been watching the T20s as much as i should - timezones not helpful really.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I think the Huss bros are gonna pull you through with the bat and the legend that is Nannes will make up for the stupidity of picking Harris ahead of Bolly. And I think Steve Smith is a good one in that people will take him too easily and get out... And Dussey will spin it more than Harby..

Praveen Kumar injured and Umesh(wtf?!?) Yadav called up. Should have gone for Irfan Pathan imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Praveen Kumar injured and Umesh(wtf?!?) Yadav called up. Should have gone for Irfan Pathan imo.
    Presumably wanted some genuine pace given the pitches they're likely to come on. Hasn't got great stats but he was impressive in patches in the IPL and probably as quick as Indian seamers about.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Banned
    Was poo in the IPL with the ball. Yadav is exciting, but would've loved to see Dinda.

Was poo in the IPL with the ball. Yadav is exciting, but would've loved to see Dinda.
    Is decent enough as a t20 bowler when used in the middle overs instead of the death overs. Plus he adds a quality batting option. Plays good pull shots. Can be as destructive as Yusuf when he slogs away.

Banned
    Is decent enough as a t20 bowler when used in the middle overs instead of the death overs. Plus he adds a quality batting option. Plays good pull shots. Can be as destructive as Yusuf when he slogs away.
    And has come good about as much as his elder bro in t20is. We are chokeful of willowwielders and the last thing we need is a bowling allrounder who bleeds with the ball much more regularly than he comes any good with the bat. Really can do without him. His pace and length (chap doesn't have a yorker to save his life still) combined with lack of swing, would make him the ideal fodder for Aussies.

Plus our middle overs need to be used to bowl out our 5 th bowling options and other spinners.

And has come good about as much as his elder bro in t20is. We are chokeful of willowwielders and the last thing we need is a bowling allrounder who bleeds with the ball much more regularly than he comes any good with the bat. Really can do without him. His pace and length (chap doesn't have a yorker to save his life still) combined with lack of swing, would make him the ideal fodder for Aussies.

Plus our middle overs need to be used to bowl out our 5 th bowling options and other spinners.
    The Pathans may have their problems, but they're not atrociously bad as you make them out to be. At worst, they're still worth their selections in the first XI, as also RP Singh. Umesh Yadav is a longshot of a selection and Ashok Dinda's is a selection on thin ice.

They have their problems, but they can be excused. Other teams manage with players as good, so there's no reason why India can't.
    Last edited by Arjun; 07-05-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    <3 Umesh. I'd throw him the ball at the death over Praveen, tbh. Some rock solid internaitonal experience right now might do wonders for his long-term Indian prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzamann View Post
    <3 Umesh. I'd throw him the ball at the death over Praveen, tbh. Some rock solid internaitonal experience right now might do wonders for his long-term Indian prospects.
    He appears to be another Parthiv Patel- just not good enough to make the squad, picked only on youth and promise.

India will depend squarely on Gambhir, Yuvraj, Dhoni and Raina, as also IPL form player Rohit Sharma for a big score. All of the above are in good form, and it was disappointing to see Rohit on the bench for the first two games. Ideally, India should play six batsmen, including Dhoni, and have Yusuf Pathan at seven. He's not quite an ideal top-six batsman, but will fortify that hollow, brittle lower-order. Strangely, he's also India's best spinner on show in this tournament. The bowling can have Zaheer, Nehra, Vinay and Harbhajan, with Yusuf filling the quota for the fifth- the best combination at hand. To sum it up, pick the form players, ride the form wave and make the most of it, and avoid risky strategies solely on expectation.

R_D
    India better make a big score if Umesh Yadav's going to bowl...... I've been impressed in couple of his spells but he's still too raw for International cricket... would've preferred Irfan Pathan or someone else over him.

This is a tough little group to get out of..... Worried about tonight's match for some reason. I just don't trust this Indian team to do well... i don't know why.
    They surprised me when they beat South Africa.

Get to watch my first game tonight, better be a good one.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information