• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E (Super 8) - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, England

tooextracool

International Coach
Think we're just a little short of "good", tbh. Would accept "quite good". Our seam attack still looks like an accident waiting to be spanked back over its head for six to me tho. Now I do fall into the "eternal pessimist" category, but even yesterday when Broad's first delivery was deposited into the stand I thought "Here we effing go", but we held up suprisingly well.

Yardy & Bresnan have both bowled about as well as they can, IMHO. Fat lads ftw.
In Morgan and an in form Pietersen we have 2 world class players and 2 of the best players in the competition. Swann is a quality bowler. Obviously we're not perfect and our pace stocks are poor but every team has their own problems, Australia doesnt have a slow bowler of note and when they get to St. Lucia they will find things different.

I'm a little confused about why Anderson isnt playing given that he was the pick of our bowlers in the t20s in South Africa. Should be in instead of Bresnan IMO.

tooextracool

International Coach
We bowled out South Africa for 129. Kp didn't really play a part in that. He is one of our better players, but when Morgan or Colly performs you never get "England would be rubbish without..." comments, they're all part of the team.
Morgan is our best player and well on his way to being our greatest limited overs player ever. We would be more lost without him than we are without KP IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha. No. Just no.

Pakistan/WI are value. West Indies have enough of a genius factor to win a tournament somewhere, plus they're at home. Pakistan only need to win and have another result go their way and they're through. And we know how dangerous they are. NZ are a bit more likely to qualify than Pakistan, but there's not much in it - certainly not a 33/1 versus 12/1 factor. And Pakistan are a far bigger threat in the knock-outs.
Pakistan are shot and gone; need a mathematical miracle even if they win. NZ already have a win and are playing a team they beat in limited overs cricket with ball-crushing inevitability who're minus their best player. No-brainer.

A bet on Pakistan is a hail Mary at best.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pietersen is one of the most overrated players going around. I'd liken him to a talented slogger in the t20 format. When hes in form, its great, when hes out of form hes crap.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan are shot and gone; need a mathematical miracle even if they win. NZ already have a win and are playing a team they beat in limited overs cricket with ball-crushing inevitability who're minus their best player. No-brainer.

A bet on Pakistan is a hail Mary at best.
Pakistan only need to win and for us to beat NZ, they don't need to worry about NRR

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pakistan only need to win and for us to beat NZ, they don't need to worry about NRR
Fair enough then, but I still don't think both are likely, especially as NZ and ourselves will know what we need to happen for us both to go through by the time we play.

S Chanderpaul

U19 Vice-Captain
Pietersen is one of the most overrated players going around. I'd liken him to a talented slogger in the t20 format. When hes in form, its great, when hes out of form hes crap.
How many players are exactly great out of form? :unsure:

I'm pretty sure most players out of form will be crap, hence them being out of form.

Anyway this talented slogger has the second most ammount of runs in t20is, which is not bad for one of the most overrated players around.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
How many players are exactly great out of form? :unsure:

I'm pretty sure most players out of form will be crap, hence them being out of form.

Anyway this talented slogger has the second most ammount of runs in t20is, which is not bad for one of the most overrated players around.
I hear the Pietersen is 'out of form' story every other week. You know why that is? Its because his batting revolves around hitting the ball around the park rather than knocking the ball around and turning the strike over. When he's out of form hes rank poor.

L Trumper

State Regular
I hear the Pietersen is 'out of form' story every other week. You know why that is? Its because his batting revolves around hitting the ball around the park rather than knocking the ball around and turning the strike over. When he's out of form hes rank poor.
He had second least dot ball percentage in T20Is. That slogger apparently who can't rotate strike :huh:

Polo23

International Debutant
I think you're missing the point of being out of form...

Every batsman who is out of form is rank poor, if they weren't rank poor no one would think they were out of form would they?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As opposed to the guy you're championing who's played a grand total of nine games. How do we know that Morgan isn't pathetically bad when he's out of form? His domestic T20 record seems to suggest he's just that.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair enough then, but I still don't think both are likely, especially as NZ and ourselves will know what we need to happen for us both to go through by the time we play.
Pakistan are 33/1 compared to 12/1 for NZ.

NZ are definitely not twice more likely to qualify than Pakistan. Both go out if they lose. Both may not go through if they win.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Pakistan are 33/1 compared to 12/1 for NZ.

NZ are definitely not twice more likely to qualify than Pakistan. Both go out if they lose. Both may not go through if they win.
Apparently, NZ can still go through to Semis if they lose ....But, for Pak there is no option but to win...

Hence, NZ chances of reaching semis are higher than Pak

Polo23

International Debutant
Apparently, NZ can still go through to Semis if they lose ....But, for Pak there is no option but to win...

Hence, NZ chances of reaching semis are higher than Pak
Negative.

If NZ lose they are out.

The 2 situations are:

South Africa win, in which case they will have 2 wins from 3 matches, which means NZ needs to win to be level on points with them (and then it comes down to NRR, where NZ is miles ahead).

Pakistan win, in which case NZ HAVE to win. If NZ lose then Pakistan will be level on points with NZ, but will have the higher NRR so will go through.

Pakistan are less likely to make the semis IMO given their form and the fact they are playing the pace and bounce of the Saffer attack. Definitely not twice less likely though.

Briony

International Debutant
Negative.

If NZ lose they are out.

The 2 situations are:

South Africa win, in which case they will have 2 wins from 3 matches, which means NZ needs to win to be level on points with them (and then it comes down to NRR, where NZ is miles ahead).

Pakistan win, in which case NZ HAVE to win. If NZ lose then Pakistan will be level on points with NZ, but will have the higher NRR so will go through.

Pakistan are less likely to make the semis IMO given their form and the fact they are playing the pace and bounce of the Saffer attack. Definitely not twice less likely though.
Morkel has been replaced by a spinner though and it's at St.Lucia and is described as slow and low and they're batting first.

KP's absence helps NZ immeasurably but they've looked ordinary to date.

GGG

State Captain
Pakistan not even going to put up a fight, at least make it a close contest so we dont have to thrash England.