View Poll Results: Who is a better T20 bowler?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Malinga

23 71.88%
  • Tait

9 28.13%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Malinga vs Tait for T20

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Numbers Game: The pace-spin equation in Twenty20, and a D/L snippet | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

Has Tait coming in at second behind Gul in terms of the best fast bowler against Top 10 teams, with Malinga nowhere to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Interesting article.

Why are we ignoring T20 domestic though?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    There is a difference between 'Who has the better statistics' and 'Who is the better bowler'. Otherwise in a Warne vs Murali debate, Murali would be the undisputed victor.

Malinga has the better eco rate in t20s which is for me all that matters in that format.
    Malinga has a slightly better eco rate in club cricket but, in any event, that stat is more than offset by Tait's vastly superior strike rate

Tait concedes one run per over less in the real stuff, takes double the number of wickets per match and basically, by any measure, is better

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Interesting article.

Why are we ignoring T20 domestic though?
    Umm, because club games are irrelevant when it comes to discussing the best players in the world

I think at this stage, with Twenty20 in its embryonic stage still, its worth looking at the IPL and domestic stuff because the sample sizes aren't huge yet in the International arena.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Umm, because club games are irrelevant when it comes to discussing the best players in the world
    No they're not.

Some of the matches in the KFC Big Bash and IPL are far more worthwhile than the earlier T20 internationals, which were the definition of a piss-take.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Malinga has a slightly better eco rate in club cricket but, in any event, that stat is more than offset by Tait's vastly superior strike rate

Tait concedes one run per over less in the real stuff, takes double the number of wickets per match and basically, by any measure, is better
    Strike rates are irrelevant in a format that allows you to lose one wicket every 12 balls and still get away with it, if you manage a good eco rate.

Also, the higher eco rate suggests people takes more chances at Tait than Malinga and hence Tait ends up with more wickets.

The argument that Tait slows down scoring due to him taking wickets is void ab initio considering he bleeds more runs per over than Malinga.

Also Tait had the fortune of playing most of his t20s on favorable conditions. Malinga has maintained an exemplary record despite having played in the subcontinent where even a mi**** can fetch sixes. Figure in fielding etc etc.

They haven't played enough at International level to arrive at a proper conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Numbers Game: The pace-spin equation in Twenty20, and a D/L snippet | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

Has Tait coming in at second behind Gul in terms of the best fast bowler against Top 10 teams, with Malinga nowhere to be seen.
    May be he's below the cut off.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    May be he's below the cut off.
    I wasn't sure what Cricinfo meant when they said against the 'top teams,' but even with games not including Bangladesh, he's definitely bowled more than the 40 overs needed to get in the list. Again, I wasn't sure whether Cricinfo's analysis included Bangladesh, so these are his figures with and without them. Not trying to make any judgment from this, I'm pretty much on the fence when it comes to all this, but it is interesting. I'd say Malinga's probably perceived as being one of the best pacemen going around, but in terms of T20Is, Tait does certainly have considerably better figures. Still, Malinga's played over twice the games Tait has, and that's still only 22 games, so all of this should be taken with a hefty grain of salt.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post

I must say i am surprised to see that Malinga is not on that list of stats.

I would think perhaps Malinga lacks consistency. Tait, even though has a relatively smaller amount of games he played has been consistent.

But both bowlers are Snipers on their day.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    It's sorted by economy rate. Malinga's ER in T20i's against the top sides is 7.98 leaving him off the chart. His record in T20i's really isn't as good as I thought it'd be. I prefer watching Tait bowl too, so I'd probably end up taking him ahead of Malinga. Both mighty fine bowlers in the shortest form though.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Malinga. He's one of the best quicks in this sort of format IMO. Loads of variations, very accurate and difficult to pick as well.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Not saying Tait is better, but FMD he's rapid.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Regular
    It's strange. Tait is better on bouncy wickets and Malinga is better on flat wickets. Vice versa, Malinga gets hit a lot in bouncy wickets and Tait gets hit a lot on flat wickets.

So you can't really separate them, depends where you're playing.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    It's strange. Tait is better on bouncy wickets and Malinga is better on flat wickets. Vice versa, Malinga gets hit a lot in bouncy wickets and Tait gets hit a lot on flat wickets.

So you can't really separate them, depends where you're playing.
    I think it's self explanatory when you see their difference in height.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information