Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Duckworth Lewis discussion thread

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Justice For The 96
    Posts
    19,155

    Duckworth Lewis discussion thread

    Don't want to de-rail the match thread any further, so new thread for a new discussion.

    I don't know if I've got the maths spot on for this, but a glance at Statsguru shows that the average RR in T20Is is 7.52, with the average RR for ODIs played since Jan 1 2005 being 5.01.

    Based on England's RR of 9.55 yesterday, which is 129% of the average, an equivelant ODI score would have been 318, which according to duckworth-lewis.com would have seen the West Indies set 171 to win from 20 overs, which immediately seems like a much fairer total - in this hypothetical scenario, West Indies would need to score at 8.5 an over in response to a total of 6.36 an over, as opposed to 10 plays 9.55.

    I think D/L is a good system, however the last 2 WC games between England and West Indies have shown its flaws when applied to Twenty20 cricket. IMO, the maths involved definitely needs an overhaul.

  2. #2
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,216
    NZ have had some shockers in ODIs recently too.
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Am not sure about the logic behind extrapolation of a t20 total to One day total just based on their run rates.

    In other words a equating a 192 total in T20s to a 318 total in one days doesn't look too acceptable for me. I'd back competitive teams to chase down the latter more easily than the former.
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 04-05-2010 at 10:48 AM.

  4. #4
    State Regular AaronK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    cricket world
    Posts
    926
    The rain is killing the tournment for me..
    SALMAM KHAN The real king and Baadshah of Bollywood!!!!!!!!


  5. #5
    International Regular King Pietersen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    3,998
    Suppose that's what you get for organising games in Guyana over the rainy season.
    www.proudtofight.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    38.3
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    42.6
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Justice For The 96
    Posts
    19,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Am not sure about the logic behind extrapolation of a t20 total to One day total just based on their run rates.

    In other words a equating a 192 total in T20s to a 318 total in one days doesn't look too acceptable for me. I'd back competitive teams to chase down the former more easily than the latter.
    The maths behind it:

    Average RR in T20Is: 7.52
    England's RR: 9.55 = 1.29 times the average.

    Average RR in ODIs over last 5 years: 5.01
    5.01 x 1.29 = 6.36 = 318 runs in 50 overs.

    The maths isn't perfect, but the D/L par score for an ODI which is reduced to 20 overs for the team chasing 318, with all wickets intact, is 170. That immediately seems a lot fairer than a par score of 59 from 6 overs for a team chasing 192.

    It's an imperfect example, and the maths might be questionable, as I'm not a mathematician, but the T20 system does look like it needs a review.

    edit: Teams batting 1st who set over 170 have won 88% of the time in T20Is.
    Last edited by Furball; 04-05-2010 at 10:48 AM.

  7. #7
    State Regular AaronK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    cricket world
    Posts
    926
    they could just freaking end the match rather than having players come in the field for 4 runs.. so freaking stupied.. having a tournment of this calibar in a place like West Indies was a wrong idea at the first.. now it is just freaking hard to wait till the rain is over..

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The maths behind it:

    Average RR in T20Is: 7.52
    England's RR: 9.55 = 1.29 times the average.

    Average RR in ODIs over last 5 years: 5.01
    5.01 x 1.29 = 6.36 = 318 runs in 50 overs.

    The maths isn't perfect, but the D/L par score for an ODI which is reduced to 20 overs for the team chasing 318, with all wickets intact, is 170. That immediately seems a lot fairer than a par score of 59 from 6 overs for a team chasing 192.

    It's an imperfect example, and the maths might be questionable, as I'm not a mathematician, but the T20 system does look like it needs a review.

    edit: Teams batting 1st who set over 170 have won 88% of the time in T20Is.
    Of course am not questioning your math mate, but the reasoning behind using run rates in T20s comparable to those in One days.

    In the above example you extrapolated a total of 192 to 318 in a one day which then using DL you reduced back to 170 from 20 overs. ;wacko: So either the logic behind DL reducing a total of 318 to 170 in 20 overs is not fair, or your extrapolation of 192 to 318 is not. Because 192 cannot be equal to 170.

    Methinks you're doing apples to oranges stuff here.

    But I do agree with your premise that DL seriously need revision in T20s or be replaced by some other rule like super over.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Justice For The 96
    Posts
    19,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Of course am not questioning your math mate, but the reasoning behind using run rates in T20s comparable to those in One days.

    In the above example you extrapolated a total of 192 to 318 in a one day which then using DL you reduced back to 170 from 20 overs. ;wacko: So either the logic behind DL reducing a total of 318 to 170 in 20 overs is not fair, or your extrapolation of 192 to 318 is not. Because 192 cannot be equal to 170.

    Methinks you're doing apples to oranges stuff here.

    But I do agree with your premise that DL seriously need revision in T20s or be replaced by some other rule like super over.
    I'm not saying 192 is equivelant to 170.

    My suspicion was that the D/L equation would have been much fairer to England had it been an ODI; I think the numbers I've come up with support that suspicion.

    The equivelant score in an ODI, based simply on how much better England's performance was than the average, would be 318. A score of 318 would have required the Windies to chase 171 in 20 overs had it been a rain affected ODI; that appears to me to be a much fairer target than what transpired last night.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,679
    Have never really agreed with any criticisms of it, TBH, including during the last game. The target was so small because of the runs WI hammered off the overs before the break. For over a third of the entire innings the were going at (IIRC) about 13rpo despite only needing 9rpo (at the time) and they didn't lose any wickets. That's all taken into account - what the West Indies thought they needed at the time they were batting in those first two overs. When that happens, of course the rest of the innings is going to be easy-going.

    If anything, I think it's just shown that 6 overs just isn't a game of cricket, particularly when it's divided into two different parts chasing different totals. The D/L calculation was fine - people are blaming it, essentially, for putting such a big emphasis on 2.2 overs, but that's what happens if you play a six over contest. Cricket in any sense isn't supposed to be defined so wholly by such small sample sizes. If they can't make it to 15 overs they should just call it off IMO.
    ~ Cribbage

  11. #11
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,679
    Just to show how much those two overs before the break - quite justly, given the ridiculously short length of the game - actually changed things, the West Indies would've needed 73 to win off their 6 overs rather than the 60 they ended up chasing if the rain delay happened in the innings break and they never actually batted those 2.2 overs.

  12. #12
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If anything, I think it's just shown that 6 overs just isn't a game of cricket, particularly when it's divided into two different parts chasing different totals. The D/L calculation was fine - people are blaming it, essentially, for putting such a big emphasis on 2.2 overs, but that's what happens if you play a six over contest. Cricket in any sense isn't supposed to be defined so wholly by such small sample sizes.
    This, totally. No way should the game go on if you can only play 6 overs. Even in my 30/30 league I have to call a match officially rained out if 20 overs can't be bowled. For T20 I reckon it should something like 13 overs.
    RIP Craigos

  13. #13
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,161
    The last two posts make a lot of sense. I guess any kind of reduced target is going to seem easier when the overs are lower - wickets become meaingless really.

    However, I may revise my opinion. As things stand we are walloping these Thierry Henry haters quite comfortably according to DL. One over constitutes a game IMO.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Just to show how much those two overs before the break - quite justly, given the ridiculously short length of the game - actually changed things, the West Indies would've needed 73 to win off their 6 overs rather than the 60 they ended up chasing if the rain delay happened in the innings break and they never actually batted those 2.2 overs.
    Wow, how did you arrive at that? I mean the calculation for that?

    I think it wouldn't have made any difference whether they'd been 30 or 0 at the break as long as they had not lost any wickets. Because DL takes into account the 'resources available' at time of break and resumption which is a product of wickets lost and overs remaining.

  15. #15
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,679
    I played around with the online calculator. Could've stuffed it up though.

    But yeah, it does take into account the resources available, but it also takes into account how many runs are actually left to win. It's assumed that they'd have scored more quickly if they knew the innings was shorter, so the later the break is, the smaller the target becomes.

    As I said in the other thread - imagine chasing 250 in an ODI, going off after 19 overs at 0/100 and then coming back on and being told that you needed to score 46 to win off one over because that's the 20 over equivalent of a 50-over 250. What you've already scored is taken into account.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 04-05-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Arrow to show you've posted in a thread previously
    By BoyBrumby in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 02:54 AM
  2. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM
  3. Trade Discussion Thread
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 15-04-2009, 03:15 PM
  4. *Official* Exam Stress Reliever and Discussion Thread
    By masterblaster in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 29-11-2008, 10:24 AM
  5. Greatest wicket keeper ever?
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 19-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •