Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Duckworth Lewis discussion thread

  1. #31
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,108
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtop123 View Post
    Yeah, because you know it NEVER rains in England. No siree.Never. That country DOES NOT have a reputation for being rainy. I mean it's not like rain HAD any impact at that wonderful, perfect tournament in that country last year. So let's only have tournaments in countries not known for being rainy because it's not like South Africa is known for rain either. Nope. Not all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    So they should not conduct any ICC events in England during summer because it's known to be fairly rainy?
    Well done, you've both jointly won the 'missing the point' award for this week!

    Yes, it rains in England a bit in summer. But we don't hold World Cups in october, last I checked, and that would be the equivalent argument.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  2. #32
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,856
    October is summer in England?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

  3. #33
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rolling right Inuit
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Well done, you've both jointly won the 'missing the point' award for this week!

    Yes, it rains in England a bit in summer. But we don't hold World Cups in october, last I checked, and that would be the equivalent argument.
    I would add that if for whatever reason you do decide to play cricket in the rainiest country in world cricket in the wet season, it might be a decent idea to allow an extra day in case it rains. They didn't do so, and this particular group of matches has been ruined as a result. It just seems such a waste, and so harsh on Ireland (where, before you perceptively point it out maxtop and Sir Alex, I'm aware it does also rain).

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I would add that if for whatever reason you do decide to play cricket in the rainiest country in world cricket in the wet season, it might be a decent idea to allow an extra day in case it rains. They didn't do so, and this particular group of matches has been ruined as a result. It just seems such a waste, and so harsh on Ireland (where, before you perceptively point it out maxtop and Sir Alex, I'm aware it does also rain).
    I agree it is harsh. But no more harsh than what happened to England in last years cup.

    The point is suggest another time to hold the cup then, because afaic, even the lesser months get more precipitation than what England gets in their wettest months.

    My point is these things are really out of their hands who draw up the fixtures. Only 2 weeks back Guyana was suffering a drought, which is not something you'd predict looking at the precipitation charts.

    I agree your point regarding having extra days for these matches.


  5. #35
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rolling right Inuit
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    The point is suggest another time to hold the cup then, because afaic, even the lesser months get more precipitation than what England gets in their wettest months.
    February?

    I don't see the relevance of the England comparison. Whether a tournament is being held in England or elsewhere it seems to me to make sense to schedule it when the weather tends to be best suited to cricket. It's about minimising the risk of games being ruined by the weather.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    February?

    I don't see the relevance of the England comparison. Whether a tournament is being held in England or elsewhere it seems to me to make sense to schedule it when the weather tends to be best suited to cricket. It's about minimising the risk of games being ruined by the weather.
    Impossible considering One Day World Cup starts Feb last.

  7. #37
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    His point was that logically the tournament could have been scheduled at a time of the year when it's not extremely likely to rain in Guyana. You might have noticed that if you hadn't been spending your time being snide instead.
    And had you been paying attention there was a drought in Guyana that lasted UNTIL the cricket actually started. It rains In Guyana. Not news. Just as it does in Engalnd and just as it did in last year's T20. England is also a rainy country regardless of whatever you might wish to say. So if there should be no T20s in Guyana in the rainy season which can be whebeer, the same rukles should apply to England. Get it?

  8. #38
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rolling right Inuit
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtop123 View Post
    And had you been paying attention there was a drought in Guyana that lasted UNTIL the cricket actually started. It rains In Guyana. Not news. Just as it does in Engalnd and just as it did in last year's T20. England is also a rainy country regardless of whatever you might wish to say. So if there should be no T20s in Guyana in the rainy season which can be whebeer, the same rukles should apply to England. Get it?
    I doubt they were aware of the drought when they scheduled the tournament.

    You seem to be a little defensive about the Guyanese weather. No-one's having a go about that, and no-one's saying that tournaments shouldn't be held there. What I'm saying is that, given it's a rainy place, scheduling a tournament there in the wet season seems stupid. What's even more stupid is not arranging a back-up day.

    The fact that it rains in England is not the issue. What is relevant is that they don't schedule tournaments in England when the weather is likeliest to be bad. If they scheduled international cricket in England in, say, January, and it was too dark, too wet and too cold to play, I'd call that stupid too.

  9. #39
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rolling right Inuit
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Impossible considering One Day World Cup starts Feb last.
    It occurs to me that - gasp - perhaps they're playing too many limited overs tournaments, and ridiculous scheduling is a natural consequence. The last World T20 was less than a year ago FFS, and we've only just finished the IPL.

  10. #40
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,766
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtop123 View Post
    And had you been paying attention there was a drought in Guyana that lasted UNTIL the cricket actually started. It rains In Guyana. Not news. Just as it does in Engalnd and just as it did in last year's T20. England is also a rainy country regardless of whatever you might wish to say. So if there should be no T20s in Guyana in the rainy season which can be whebeer, the same rukles should apply to England. Get it?
    No, because it's not a valid comparison.

    There's a reason why it's called the wet season.

    In England you're gambling with the weather - you could have 3 weeks of glorious sunshine, or you could have 3 weeks of rubbish weather. That's just the chances you take with the British summer.

    On the other hand, Guyana is in a tropical region of the world, and has a wet season where you're likely to get heavy rain. It's the drought that's unusual.

  11. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    It occurs to me that - gasp - perhaps they're playing too many limited overs tournaments, and ridiculous scheduling is a natural consequence. The last World T20 was less than a year ago FFS, and we've only just finished the IPL.
    That sir is precisely why ICC must be taken to task. There is really no point in conducting multination tournaments every year, 5 world cups in less than 4 years is utterly ridiculous stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Arrow to show you've posted in a thread previously
    By BoyBrumby in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 02:54 AM
  2. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM
  3. Trade Discussion Thread
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 15-04-2009, 03:15 PM
  4. *Official* Exam Stress Reliever and Discussion Thread
    By masterblaster in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 29-11-2008, 10:24 AM
  5. Greatest wicket keeper ever?
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 19-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •