Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duckworth Lewis discussion thread

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtop123 View Post
    Yeah, because you know it NEVER rains in England. No siree.Never. That country DOES NOT have a reputation for being rainy. I mean it's not like rain HAD any impact at that wonderful, perfect tournament in that country last year. So let's only have tournaments in countries not known for being rainy because it's not like South Africa is known for rain either. Nope. Not all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    So they should not conduct any ICC events in England during summer because it's known to be fairly rainy?
    Well done, you've both jointly won the 'missing the point' award for this week!

Yes, it rains in England a bit in summer. But we don't hold World Cups in october, last I checked, and that would be the equivalent argument.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

October is summer in England?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Well done, you've both jointly won the 'missing the point' award for this week!

Yes, it rains in England a bit in summer. But we don't hold World Cups in october, last I checked, and that would be the equivalent argument.
    I would add that if for whatever reason you do decide to play cricket in the rainiest country in world cricket in the wet season, it might be a decent idea to allow an extra day in case it rains. They didn't do so, and this particular group of matches has been ruined as a result. It just seems such a waste, and so harsh on Ireland (where, before you perceptively point it out maxtop and Sir Alex, I'm aware it does also rain).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I would add that if for whatever reason you do decide to play cricket in the rainiest country in world cricket in the wet season, it might be a decent idea to allow an extra day in case it rains. They didn't do so, and this particular group of matches has been ruined as a result. It just seems such a waste, and so harsh on Ireland (where, before you perceptively point it out maxtop and Sir Alex, I'm aware it does also rain).
    I agree it is harsh. But no more harsh than what happened to England in last years cup.

The point is suggest another time to hold the cup then, because afaic, even the lesser months get more precipitation than what England gets in their wettest months.

My point is these things are really out of their hands who draw up the fixtures. Only 2 weeks back Guyana was suffering a drought, which is not something you'd predict looking at the precipitation charts.

I agree your point regarding having extra days for these matches.

The point is suggest another time to hold the cup then, because afaic, even the lesser months get more precipitation than what England gets in their wettest months.
    February?

I don't see the relevance of the England comparison. Whether a tournament is being held in England or elsewhere it seems to me to make sense to schedule it when the weather tends to be best suited to cricket. It's about minimising the risk of games being ruined by the weather.

Banned
    February?

I don't see the relevance of the England comparison. Whether a tournament is being held in England or elsewhere it seems to me to make sense to schedule it when the weather tends to be best suited to cricket. It's about minimising the risk of games being ruined by the weather.
    Impossible considering One Day World Cup starts Feb last.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    His point was that logically the tournament could have been scheduled at a time of the year when it's not extremely likely to rain in Guyana. You might have noticed that if you hadn't been spending your time being snide instead.
    And had you been paying attention there was a drought in Guyana that lasted UNTIL the cricket actually started. It rains In Guyana. Not news. Just as it does in Engalnd and just as it did in last year's T20. England is also a rainy country regardless of whatever you might wish to say. So if there should be no T20s in Guyana in the rainy season which can be whebeer, the same rukles should apply to England. Get it?

And had you been paying attention there was a drought in Guyana that lasted UNTIL the cricket actually started. It rains In Guyana. Not news. Just as it does in Engalnd and just as it did in last year's T20. England is also a rainy country regardless of whatever you might wish to say. So if there should be no T20s in Guyana in the rainy season which can be whebeer, the same rukles should apply to England. Get it?
    I doubt they were aware of the drought when they scheduled the tournament.

You seem to be a little defensive about the Guyanese weather. No-one's having a go about that, and no-one's saying that tournaments shouldn't be held there. What I'm saying is that, given it's a rainy place, scheduling a tournament there in the wet season seems stupid. What's even more stupid is not arranging a back-up day.

The fact that it rains in England is not the issue. What is relevant is that they don't schedule tournaments in England when the weather is likeliest to be bad. If they scheduled international cricket in England in, say, January, and it was too dark, too wet and too cold to play, I'd call that stupid too.

Impossible considering One Day World Cup starts Feb last.
    It occurs to me that - gasp - perhaps they're playing too many limited overs tournaments, and ridiculous scheduling is a natural consequence. The last World T20 was less than a year ago FFS, and we've only just finished the IPL.

No, because it's not a valid comparison.

There's a reason why it's called the wet season.

In England you're gambling with the weather - you could have 3 weeks of glorious sunshine, or you could have 3 weeks of rubbish weather. That's just the chances you take with the British summer.

On the other hand, Guyana is in a tropical region of the world, and has a wet season where you're likely to get heavy rain. It's the drought that's unusual.

Banned
    It occurs to me that - gasp - perhaps they're playing too many limited overs tournaments, and ridiculous scheduling is a natural consequence. The last World T20 was less than a year ago FFS, and we've only just finished the IPL.
    That sir is precisely why ICC must be taken to task. There is really no point in conducting multination tournaments every year, 5 world cups in less than 4 years is utterly ridiculous stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information