• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst world cup ever?

DingDong

State Captain
so far yes.

prank wickets
empty stadiums
slow outfields
rain
just one close game

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Some of those points are a bit unjustified - with the group stage including Afghanistan, Ireland and Zimbabwe close games somewhat rely on those teams stepping up and so far that hasn't really happened. Later in the tournament with the top teams under pressure situations I'd imagine that the amount of matches with tight finishes would rise. As far as the weather goes, thats a bit unavoidable. Slow outfields is somewhat a result of the rain. I haven't seen enough of the tournament so can't really comment too much on the wickets and crowd numbers.

DingDong

State Captain
it's been the worst world cup i have ever seen and i've seen just about all the cricket world cups/champions trophies held in the last 3-4 years. only one game has been close and even that was very low scoring. slow wickets mean spinners bowling a lot of overs and nobody wants to see spinners opening the bowling all the time. grounds are just completely empty and the games arent even played under lights so its really visible.

i don't knwo i just can't get myself excited about this tournament. the only reason i'm still watching is that the kiwis seem to be one of the top 3 teams right now.

DingDong

State Captain
hopefully the crowds will pick up for the super 8 games and wi qualify for the finals. it would be embarrasing playing one the game's major finals in front of nobody.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
it's been the worst world cup i have ever seen and i've seen just about all the cricket world cups/champions trophies held in the last 3-4 years. only one game has been close and even that was very low scoring. slow wickets mean spinners bowling a lot of overs and nobody wants to see spinners opening the bowling all the time. grounds are just completely empty and the games arent even played under lights so its really visible.

i don't knwo i just can't get myself excited about this tournament. the only reason i'm still watching is that the kiwis seem to be one of the top 3 teams right now.
You haven't seen much cricket DingDong, give this world cup a chance ok.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I'm enjoying it personally. We've seen some excellent cricket; the bowlers are yet to shine, but we've seen a couple of magnificent innings, most notably Jayawardene's yesterday. The worries about low scores seem to have dissipated given we've already seen 2 centuries, and England made almost 200 yesterday. I think it's got the makings of an excellent tournament. There are a few really strong sides and I think we're going to see some really fantastic cricket.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit early to label a tournament the worst ever when you're not even a week into it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Too early to say yet, obv, but the old weather's not helping things much. Both England's games have been reduced to farces by the precipitation so far.

maxtop123

Cricket Spectator
Seems the West Indies games had good crowds and so did Australia-Pakistan so..
Besides people in the Caribbean actually WORK so morning games during weekdays aren't going to be full. You'll get larger crowds on the wekend especially Sundays after church.But hey, just complain why don't you?

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I read that Bangladesh turned up for training at Kensington Oval to find no nets yesterday. Crazy.

Too early to call the tournament a write off though. You can't blame anyone for the weather, but it sure has killed off the last two days and spoiled the chances of a couple of teams. Hoping the next stage will see some exciting cricket, the good teams look like making it through, and some really exciting players are in top form (i.e Raina, Tait and Watson plus others).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
ok nufan. u know more about cricket than i do so i;ll give it a chance
That's good to hear mate. I just meant that World Cups have been going on for 30 odd years and since you've been watching for 3 or 4 years it might be hard to call it the worst world cup ever.

I do feel sorry for teams like Zimbabwe who didn't get a proper chance to shine due to the rain.

Shortened games are an absolute joke in T20 as far as I'm concerned. I would rather reserve days instead of matches lasting 6 overs into the second innings.