• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst world cup ever?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shortened games are an absolute joke in T20 as far as I'm concerned. I would rather reserve days instead of matches lasting 6 overs into the second innings.
This. The impact of rain on this World Cup has been severe. Too many innings either truncated or continually interrupted, thus disrupting momentum which is even more important in 20:20 than other forms of the game. It's been disappointing. 3 team groups isn't enough either as effectively you can progress by default (like England effectively have) without having even won a game.

Too many games at the ODI world cup, and not enough at the 20:20 world cup to really establish who the best team is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest, who has the rain actually stopped from qualifying? People are going on as if Ireland were guaranteed to win last night and have been robbed by the rain when in reality we don't know what would've happened (and the bookies seemed fairly sure England would restrict them in those conditions)

If anything the rain effected England in the previous game far more, a game which they then lost because of the vagaries of the D/L system.

HeathDavisSpeed

To be honest, who has the rain actually stopped from qualifying? People are going on as if Ireland were guaranteed to win last night and have been robbed by the rain when in reality we don't know what would've happened (and the bookies seemed fairly sure England would restrict them in those conditions)

If anything the rain effected England in the previous game far more, a game which they then lost because of the vagaries of the D/L system.
That's not what I was saying at all. It's ruined the spectacle of too many games in such a short tournament. Who wants to see a 20:5? You may as well not have bothered playing the 20 really. It is **** though - for England as much as the opposition - that they can qualify for the next round with Zero wins next to their name. I think if you're going to have groups of 3, you should play 2 games against each opponent (4 games per team per group)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess the problem is the tight scheduling - if it's raining one day then there's a fair chance of getting some the next day and there's only the 4 games thus far reduced by rain, 2 involving Zimbabwe (that they were well behind in the game with) and the 2 involving England - I guess that because these happen to be the last 4 games played then it's fresh in the memory and thus seems more of a problem.

andyc

This is the first World Cup (including T20 and ODI) since (arguably) 1999 where no minnows have made it through to the next round, FWIW.

1999 had Zimbabwe in the Super Six with no Windies, England or Sri Lanka, but I don't think you can really call 1999 Zimbabwe 'minnows.' But in terms of the 8 teams that are through now (Aus, Eng, SA, NZ, Pak, Ind, WI and SL), the last time they were all together was 1996.

Should hopefully make for some good watching.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Who made it through in the 2007 T20?

Know Zimbabwe beat Australia but they didn't get out the group.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This is the first World Cup (including T20 and ODI) since (arguably) 1999 where no minnows have made it through to the next round, FWIW.

1999 had Zimbabwe in the Super Six with no Windies, England or Sri Lanka, but I don't think you can really call 1999 Zimbabwe 'minnows.' But in terms of the 8 teams that are through now (Aus, Eng, SA, NZ, Pak, Ind, WI and SL), the last time they were all together was 1996.

Should hopefully make for some good watching.
Felt like it at the time, tbh. Thought we'd qualified by beating them & Sri Lanka, especially with them playing the unbeaten yarps (captained by Hansie, one feels obliged to point out) in the last game. Admittedly we were walloped by India, but was a fair turn up them beating SA by enough to advance.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Are we wearing out the pride of a 'World Cup'?

Because I'm just bored of watching all these world cups, they will just get less prestigious if you keep having one every couple months...BoomBoom, there goes all the fans, all the scores suck, Pitches are dead within a few days, and teh dancers just don't dance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Only two decent games have involved NZ, so it's obvious what the tournament needs: Black Caps to play every game.