Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst world cup ever?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Too early to say yet, obv, but the old weather's not helping things much. Both England's games have been reduced to farces by the precipitation so far.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

It's cricket and India are winning. So no, not yet. Coolios.

Cricket Spectator
    Seems the West Indies games had good crowds and so did Australia-Pakistan so..
    Besides people in the Caribbean actually WORK so morning games during weekdays aren't going to be full. You'll get larger crowds on the wekend especially Sundays after church.But hey, just complain why don't you?
    Last edited by maxtop123; 04-05-2010 at 06:47 PM.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    I read that Bangladesh turned up for training at Kensington Oval to find no nets yesterday. Crazy.

Too early to call the tournament a write off though. You can't blame anyone for the weather, but it sure has killed off the last two days and spoiled the chances of a couple of teams. Hoping the next stage will see some exciting cricket, the good teams look like making it through, and some really exciting players are in top form (i.e Raina, Tait and Watson plus others).

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    ok nufan. u know more about cricket than i do so i;ll give it a chance
    That's good to hear mate. I just meant that World Cups have been going on for 30 odd years and since you've been watching for 3 or 4 years it might be hard to call it the worst world cup ever.

I do feel sorry for teams like Zimbabwe who didn't get a proper chance to shine due to the rain.

Shortened games are an absolute joke in T20 as far as I'm concerned. I would rather reserve days instead of matches lasting 6 overs into the second innings.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Shortened games are an absolute joke in T20 as far as I'm concerned. I would rather reserve days instead of matches lasting 6 overs into the second innings.
    This. The impact of rain on this World Cup has been severe. Too many innings either truncated or continually interrupted, thus disrupting momentum which is even more important in 20:20 than other forms of the game. It's been disappointing. 3 team groups isn't enough either as effectively you can progress by default (like England effectively have) without having even won a game.

Too many games at the ODI world cup, and not enough at the 20:20 world cup to really establish who the best team is.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    To be honest, who has the rain actually stopped from qualifying? People are going on as if Ireland were guaranteed to win last night and have been robbed by the rain when in reality we don't know what would've happened (and the bookies seemed fairly sure England would restrict them in those conditions)

If anything the rain effected England in the previous game far more, a game which they then lost because of the vagaries of the D/L system.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Can't be that bad with these two guys still playing.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    To be honest, who has the rain actually stopped from qualifying? People are going on as if Ireland were guaranteed to win last night and have been robbed by the rain when in reality we don't know what would've happened (and the bookies seemed fairly sure England would restrict them in those conditions)

If anything the rain effected England in the previous game far more, a game which they then lost because of the vagaries of the D/L system.
    That's not what I was saying at all. It's ruined the spectacle of too many games in such a short tournament. Who wants to see a 20:5? You may as well not have bothered playing the 20 really. It is **** though - for England as much as the opposition - that they can qualify for the next round with Zero wins next to their name. I think if you're going to have groups of 3, you should play 2 games against each opponent (4 games per team per group)

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I guess the problem is the tight scheduling - if it's raining one day then there's a fair chance of getting some the next day and there's only the 4 games thus far reduced by rain, 2 involving Zimbabwe (that they were well behind in the game with) and the 2 involving England - I guess that because these happen to be the last 4 games played then it's fresh in the memory and thus seems more of a problem.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

Can't be that bad with these two guys still playing.
    Milli Vanilli returns....

WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Lol, love your work Burgey.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    This is the first World Cup (including T20 and ODI) since (arguably) 1999 where no minnows have made it through to the next round, FWIW.

1999 had Zimbabwe in the Super Six with no Windies, England or Sri Lanka, but I don't think you can really call 1999 Zimbabwe 'minnows.' But in terms of the 8 teams that are through now (Aus, Eng, SA, NZ, Pak, Ind, WI and SL), the last time they were all together was 1996.

Should hopefully make for some good watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Who made it through in the 2007 T20?

Know Zimbabwe beat Australia but they didn't get out the group.

^
    Bang beat WI in 07 and made it to next round.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information