• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Okay the low scores worry me

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Remember this isn't IPL. Its the WC and the level of cricket higher then IPL. So, you wouldn't be seeing a run fest like IPL here.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remember this isn't IPL. Its the WC and the level of cricket higher then IPL. So, you wouldn't be seeing a run fest like IPL here.
Surely it's relative.
Higher quality bowlers but also higher quality batsmen. The larger issue is the quality of the pitches.

To answer the OP, I have no issue. As long as the pitches are consistant for the duration of the match and plays the same for both sides I have no problem whatsoever. Nobody wants to see 200 play 88 allout but a match that goes down to the last ball where a team is chasing 110 will be just as tense as one where a side is chasing 190 really.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Surely it's relative.
Higher quality bowlers but also higher quality batsmen. The larger issue is the quality of the pitches.

To answer the OP, I have no issue. As long as the pitches are consistant for the duration of the match and plays the same for both sides I have no problem whatsoever. Nobody wants to see 200 play 88 allout but a match that goes down to the last ball where a team is chasing 110 will be just as tense as one where a side is chasing 190 really.
Slow scoring games should also make it easier for inconsistent teams to become concistent winners because it takes alot of pressure off them chasing a low target. Hell they might even have more experience defending low total - I know Zimbabwe does :laugh:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's no problem with low scoring games - my concern is pitches where joke bowlers can win games. The recent Windies-Zimbabwe series had dreadful pitches.

Scaly piscine

There's no problem with low scoring games - my concern is pitches where joke bowlers can win games. The recent Windies-Zimbabwe series had dreadful pitches.
I can't imagine there'll be many pitches as bad as that, but there'll be lots of bull**** slow and low pitches which essentially negate all quality. These are anti-cricket pitches. Medium pacers, dart bowlers etc. will prosper whilst fast bowlers are merrily pulled on the front foot. Proper quality batsmen will struggle to time the ball and pick gaps, whilst you need brute force to flog the ball to the boundary.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't imagine there'll be many pitches as bad as that, but there'll be lots of bull**** slow and low pitches which essentially negate all quality. These are anti-cricket pitches. Medium pacers, dart bowlers etc. will prosper whilst fast bowlers are merrily pulled on the front foot. Proper quality batsmen will struggle to time the ball and pick gaps, whilst you need brute force to flog the ball to the boundary.
"But, but, but we have four bowlers who can bowl 150 K's+!! Awwwww, UNFAIR!!"

- Andrew Hilditch.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What concerns me more is our ability to play spin well, which has been shown up at times in ODI cricket. Maybe the T20 format will ensure that players aren't caught in two minds.

Top_Cat

What concerns me more is our ability to play spin well, which has been shown up at times in ODI cricket. Maybe the T20 format will ensure that players aren't caught in two minds.
Not just spin, though. Considering the slow/low pitches, reckon anyone who takes the pace off the ball is going to have a good day against this Aussie line-up.

tooextracool

International Coach
I actually disagree with the idea that low scores are ok as long as the games are competitive. At the end of the day t20 cricket is about hitting sixes and if we dont see that here crowds are going to be hugely disappointed and games are going to be boring. I am not saying we need 200+ scores but teams scoring 120 and winning is not really what anyone wants to see.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think looking at the games in Delhi during the CL showed how the pitch can really take away from the spectacle. If you get ordinary pitches, it turns a 20 over game into a very close cousin to the middle overs of one day cricket, which T20 was supposed to avoid. Pushing your way up to 120 or so isn't a spectacle.

Top_Cat

I think looking at the games in Delhi during the CL showed how the pitch can really take away from the spectacle. If you get ordinary pitches, it turns a 20 over game into a very close cousin to the middle overs of one day cricket, which T20 was supposed to avoid. Pushing your way up to 120 or so isn't a spectacle.
Yeah exactly. Imagine making the usain Bolt wear Doc Martens in an Olympic final to make the race closer. Yawn.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Not just spin, though. Considering the slow/low pitches, reckon anyone who takes the pace off the ball is going to have a good day against this Aussie line-up.
I've got a bad feeling it is going to work the other way, too. These spin-friendly pitches really haven't shown true for Haureh who has been slapped merrily in the warm up games. If Australia make it out of the group stage, I'd be super duper surprised if it is off the back of spin bowling successes.

ed: just read that both Smith and Clarke got 2-fers in the Windward Islands game. Maybe it won't be so bad.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
I'm tired of watching 20/20 matches where batsmen slaughter hapless bowlers....

Give me pitches that offer some assistance to bowlers for a change.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I don't see how slow pitches, or turning pitches could take away the quality?

IMO the team which covers all basis ie. Spin, Seam, Pace, will be the team to come on top. And in all honesty, the team who can read the pitch correctly and design the playing 11 accordingly deserves a lot of credit for getting it right.

Walking into the WC without adequate resources in the first place and then start blaming the pitch is wrong.

Scaly piscine

I don't see how slow pitches, or turning pitches could take away the quality?
Slow and low pitches make it very difficult to attack. Edges don't carry. The batsmen have time to adjust when they've misjudged the delivery. The batsmen can't time their shots. Fast bowlers bend their back and get absolutely nothing from the pitch.

So you've got spinners who've no good length because batsmen can play back. The ball does grip and turn (that's the nature of these pitches, the ball grips so much it loses pace off the pitch) but it's too slow as I say with there being no good length and batsmen being able to play back so much you have to dart it in to beat the bat ie bowl quicker cutters or darts.

The pitch basically nullifies all bowling threat, except for medium pacers or darters. But it nullifies quality stroke-play the ball isn't timed.

So you get a bit of a stalemate and your slogger types become more important because a) you need power to get the ball off the square and b) you don't really need batting technique because it's easy to survive. Allied with the mediums and darters and you've got the reasons why slow and low pitches negate quality and produce poor spectacles.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm tired of watching 20/20 matches where batsmen slaughter hapless bowlers....

Give me pitches that offer some assistance to bowlers for a change.
Agreed. T20s on bowler-friendly surfaces make for great contests.

These (or at least the ones we've seen in the Carribean of late - I'm not going to judge the pitches for this tournament until I've seen them) aren't really bowler-friendly though; they're just batsman-unfriendly. They don't make it easier to bowl genuinely wicket-taking balls; they just make it a lot harder for natural strokeplay. That's not a good thing.