Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay the low scores worry me

U19 Debutant

Okay the low scores worry me

Am I the only person concern with all these low scores ?

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Low scores?
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

U19 Debutant
    in the warm ups, all the scoring has been slow.

Results | ICC World Twenty20 2010 | Cricinfo.com

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Remember this isn't IPL. Its the WC and the level of cricket higher then IPL. So, you wouldn't be seeing a run fest like IPL here.

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Remember this isn't IPL. Its the WC and the level of cricket higher then IPL. So, you wouldn't be seeing a run fest like IPL here.
    Surely it's relative.
    Higher quality bowlers but also higher quality batsmen. The larger issue is the quality of the pitches.

To answer the OP, I have no issue. As long as the pitches are consistant for the duration of the match and plays the same for both sides I have no problem whatsoever. Nobody wants to see 200 play 88 allout but a match that goes down to the last ball where a team is chasing 110 will be just as tense as one where a side is chasing 190 really.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Surely it's relative.
    Higher quality bowlers but also higher quality batsmen. The larger issue is the quality of the pitches.

To answer the OP, I have no issue. As long as the pitches are consistant for the duration of the match and plays the same for both sides I have no problem whatsoever. Nobody wants to see 200 play 88 allout but a match that goes down to the last ball where a team is chasing 110 will be just as tense as one where a side is chasing 190 really.
    Slow scoring games should also make it easier for inconsistent teams to become concistent winners because it takes alot of pressure off them chasing a low target. Hell they might even have more experience defending low total - I know Zimbabwe does

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    There's no problem with low scoring games - my concern is pitches where joke bowlers can win games. The recent Windies-Zimbabwe series had dreadful pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    There's no problem with low scoring games - my concern is pitches where joke bowlers can win games. The recent Windies-Zimbabwe series had dreadful pitches.
    I can't imagine there'll be many pitches as bad as that, but there'll be lots of bull**** slow and low pitches which essentially negate all quality. These are anti-cricket pitches. Medium pacers, dart bowlers etc. will prosper whilst fast bowlers are merrily pulled on the front foot. Proper quality batsmen will struggle to time the ball and pick gaps, whilst you need brute force to flog the ball to the boundary.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    I can't imagine there'll be many pitches as bad as that, but there'll be lots of bull**** slow and low pitches which essentially negate all quality. These are anti-cricket pitches. Medium pacers, dart bowlers etc. will prosper whilst fast bowlers are merrily pulled on the front foot. Proper quality batsmen will struggle to time the ball and pick gaps, whilst you need brute force to flog the ball to the boundary.
    "But, but, but we have four bowlers who can bowl 150 K's+!! Awwwww, UNFAIR!!"

- Andrew Hilditch.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

What concerns me more is our ability to play spin well, which has been shown up at times in ODI cricket. Maybe the T20 format will ensure that players aren't caught in two minds.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    What concerns me more is our ability to play spin well, which has been shown up at times in ODI cricket. Maybe the T20 format will ensure that players aren't caught in two minds.
    Not just spin, though. Considering the slow/low pitches, reckon anyone who takes the pace off the ball is going to have a good day against this Aussie line-up.

Don't worry me at all, good to see the bowlers fighting back.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    I actually disagree with the idea that low scores are ok as long as the games are competitive. At the end of the day t20 cricket is about hitting sixes and if we dont see that here crowds are going to be hugely disappointed and games are going to be boring. I am not saying we need 200+ scores but teams scoring 120 and winning is not really what anyone wants to see.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

I think looking at the games in Delhi during the CL showed how the pitch can really take away from the spectacle. If you get ordinary pitches, it turns a 20 over game into a very close cousin to the middle overs of one day cricket, which T20 was supposed to avoid. Pushing your way up to 120 or so isn't a spectacle.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I think looking at the games in Delhi during the CL showed how the pitch can really take away from the spectacle. If you get ordinary pitches, it turns a 20 over game into a very close cousin to the middle overs of one day cricket, which T20 was supposed to avoid. Pushing your way up to 120 or so isn't a spectacle.
    Yeah exactly. Imagine making the usain Bolt wear Doc Martens in an Olympic final to make the race closer. Yawn.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information