Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Okay the low scores worry me

Cricket Spectator
    Get a grip and stop the griping. West Indies does not have ONE set of pitches regardless of the fact that many are slow. These matches were played in Guyana at the Providence stadium and the pitches in Guyana have ALWAYS been low and slow and that was BEFORE this stadium. Just the nature of Guyana surfaces.

Barbados tends to either be flat or has pace and bounce but no real lateral movement (see Australia in WI 2003 for the former or England in WI (2009) for the latter. Of course sometimes it hasma little something in it for the bowlers early on and flattens out later( see Australia in West Indies 2008).

Can't remember if tere are mathces in St Lucia but Beausejour is simply a good batting surface so there will actually be diffent conditions in spite of the fact that most of the pitches are now slow.

Besides the NZ/SL matc hwas quite exciting. It does not take sixes or high scoring for T20 to be fun. Sorry, that can get monotonous. At least the bowlers are no longer cannon fodder.

And Ireland's bowling isn't all that poor. Their spin bowling department is quite useful. Guyana is unlikely to be a high scoring venue due to its very nature.

If scores are low in Barbados it will be because batsmen have lost the art of batting when there is the slightest hint of movement which they have due to the dead pitches everywhere.

School Boy/Girl Captain GraemeSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    I wonder why tournments like this doesn't take place in places like Aus.. they always make quality pitches there..
    Aus might have good pitches but their grounds are too big. I don't wanna see t20 world cup played in Australia or atleast not on the grounds that are usually used. What's the point of watching a t20 tournament where only a few power hitters like Pollard can hit sixes frequently? That being said the pitches in WI do indeed sound terrible, seems like 130-140 is a par score which is a shame... esp coming after the IPL where a score 170-175 was par for most of the tournament, this world cup is going to feel anti-climatic if we don't see some explosive batting.

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    Square boundaries at Adelaide Oval would beg to differ there.

Australia hasn't had an international tourney since 1992, and we still have to wait another 6 years to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeSmith View Post
    Aus might have good pitches but their grounds are too big. I don't wanna see t20 world cup played in Australia or atleast not on the grounds that are usually used. What's the point of watching a t20 tournament where only a few power hitters like Pollard can hit sixes frequently? That being said the pitches in WI do indeed sound terrible, seems like 130-140 is a par score which is a shame... esp coming after the IPL where a score 170-175 was par for most of the tournament, this world cup is going to feel anti-climatic if we don't see some explosive batting.
    Boundaries for recent T20 at SCG were brought in by up to 14 metres so size of ground is irrelevant

It comes down to the window of availability for tourney (it's winter in Oz so grounds arent available and no-one would care if they were as we'd be at the footy) and politics

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Transport costs too. Only way to get around OZ in an expedient fashion is by plane.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

GGG
    Its purely the time zone, if aussie started matches at 2am to please the Indian broadcasters then more world cup fixtures would be played in Aussie and NZ.

Nothing wrong with the pitch today. Good for batting, and if you bowled well, good for bowling as well.

Bowled crap though and you'd go the distance, as you should in T20.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Personally I like these pitches. Something in it for the bowlers as well if they're smart about their approach. Better than tossing a coin on a road.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Its purely the time zone, if aussie started matches at 2am to please the Indian broadcasters then more world cup fixtures would be played in Aussie and NZ.
    Curious considering we already have had 2 World Cups in the much more inconvenient time zone in Windies.

Also, matches held in NZ/Aus time zones are way better to follow.

The worst for us are daynight one days and T20s in Windies. Also night t20s in UK too. Day night matches in Oceania are like day games.
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 02-05-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    What time were IPL games starting in Mumbai?

West Indies isn't terrible for the UK. Subcontinent games which are D/N are probably best for UK viewers.

GGG
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Curious considering we already have had 2 World Cups in the much more inconvenient time zone in Windies...
    Coincidence that India games start at 9.30am, 7pm India time?

I am not knocking it, money talks and thats the way it is.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Personally I like these pitches. Something in it for the bowlers as well if they're smart about their approach. Better than tossing a coin on a road.
    I would agree.. Thing is there are 3 aspects here at least ini the St. Lucia ground..

1. Slow and low pitch
    2. Heavy outfield
    3. Big boundaries.

Any 1 out of the 3 is good and any 2 out of the 3 is fine too for T20s but all 3 are a bit of a dampener, tbh.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Yeah good post.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Is one option playing T20 matches on artificial pitches? Let's be honest, most fans go to T20 matches wanting to see big hits and lots of runs. Not low scores.
    I am sure there are fans who like the format for sheer hitting. But there are some who enjoy close games or more competitive cricket...that can only be achieved when bat and ball have equal assistance from the pitch. Like any other format.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayzamann View Post
    Square boundaries at Adelaide Oval would beg to differ there.

Australia hasn't had an international tourney since 1992, and we still have to wait another 6 years to get one.
    That is very surprising actually. One would think Australia would be a great location for big tournaments.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information