• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Michael Clarke appreciation thread

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We all know he won't be dropped until he gets the ODI captaincy. That's what the whole thing is all about, providing Clarke with career progression. Would be nice if he did something to justify his place in the side, though.

DingDong

State Captain
i think it's a bit unfair to criticize this innings though i didn't watch the match but he came in at 2 down for nothing and tried to consolidate and he was even hitting it at 100 when he got out.

Sir Alex

Banned
i think it's a bit unfair to criticize this innings though i didn't watch the match but he came in at 2 down for nothing and tried to consolidate and he was even hitting it at 100 when he got out.
You don't need that sort of consolidation when you have such a ridiculously long batting lineup where Hussey comes in at No.7, who was robbed of strike today.

DingDong

State Captain
You don't need that sort of consolidation when you have such a ridiculously long batting lineup where Hussey comes in at No.7, who was robbed of strike today.

i think anybody who would have come in at that stage would have batted like that sir alex he's obviously a poor t20 player so i think he well by his standards.

Sir Alex

Banned
i think anybody who would have come in at that stage would have batted like that sir alex he's obviously a poor t20 player so i think he well by his standards.
Not really Dingdong, it's hard to see someone like Micheal Hussey doing that. He should never have batted today imho. His inexperience in T20 clearly showed when he thought 2 down by 2nd over is as dire a situation as in a ODI match. It is not.

DingDong

State Captain
Not really Dingdong, it's hard to see someone like Micheal Hussey doing that. He should never have batted today imho. His inexperience in T20 clearly showed when he thought 2 down by 2nd over is as dire a situation as in a ODI match. It is not.
needs to play in the ipl imo

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it possible that Michael Clarke cost Australia the World Cup?

Because that's the way the scorecard looks to me.

Sir Alex

Banned
Clarke concedes he was 'not up to scratch' | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2010 | Cricinfo.com

"There's no doubt that the selectors will need to have a look at my performances," he said in an unusually candid remark. "I certainly know they haven't been up to scratch through this whole tournament and probably in Twenty20 cricket in general. I'm sure the selectors will sit down and have a look and if I'm not the right guy for No. 3 and the captaincy then they'll make that decision."

Good on ya pup.

Top_Cat

The really **** thing about this situation is that it was fairly predictable some time ago that his batting was the weak link in his T20 game, mainly since he's so inexperienced in the format. There's a place for players like him in T20 sides but they've all taken time to adjust and add the necessary last-5-overs hitting capability to their pierce-the-field games or find ways to score off full balls on the stumps, etc. The selectors have put him in this position and as much as I like to heap **** on the guy, it sucks that he has to publicly admit his place is under threat, was on a hiding to nothing in some ways.

One wonders, assuming he keeps his place in the T20 side, whether his Test batting will take a hit. He might start trying to play more shots to prove he can when there really is nothing wrong with his Test game. Just get horrifying images of massive slashes outside off-stump against the English bowling attack next summer.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Clarke's revealation, although the truth, has been a bit surprising. He sounds as if he personally has given up on himself being a t20 player ever, which is quite hmm.. "Unaustralian". I think he just don't want to be in a t20 match because nothing else can really explain his reluctance to play in the Big Bash or IPL. He is happy playing tests and ODIs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The really **** thing about this situation is that it was fairly predictable some time ago that his batting was the weak link in his T20 game, mainly since he's so inexperienced in the format. There's a place for players like him in T20 sides but they've all taken time to adjust and add the necessary last-5-overs hitting capability to their pierce-the-field games or find ways to score off full balls on the stumps, etc. The selectors have put him in this position and as much as I like to heap **** on the guy, it sucks that he has to publicly admit his place is under threat, was on a hiding to nothing in some ways.

One wonders, assuming he keeps his place in the T20 side, whether his Test batting will take a hit. He might start trying to play more shots to prove he can when there really is nothing wrong with his Test game. Just get horrifying images of massive slashes outside off-stump against the English bowling attack next summer.
Selectors can take some of the blame, definitely, but has Clarke really tried to improve his T20 game? Surely he's had time to play some domestic T20 cricket somewhere on this planet. I know he went through some **** over the summer with Bingle and what not, but still.

Top_Cat

Selectors can take some of the blame, definitely, but has Clarke really tried to improve his T20 game? Surely he's had time to play some domestic T20 cricket somewhere on this planet. I know he went through some **** over the summer with Bingle and what not, but still.
Oh yeah, and I've given him enough crapola for not turning out for an IPL team/setting his price too high and barely playing any T20 for NSW too. I do wonder, though, when he was busily turning down the opportunity to head to India over the last couple of years whether he knew he was going to get the T20 captaincy on a serious basis as opposed to filling in when the Aussies were treating as an exhibition game. That said, he knew he was captain before this year's IPL too.....