• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Michael Clarke appreciation thread

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed. Reminds of people who criticised Gilchrist's ODI record because he only averaged 30. Missing the point of why he was there; the sheer speed of scoring meant he'd either bash a quick ton and win the game off his own bat, give someone else a platform to work with or get out of the way quickly.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Actually checked and he's just outside the top 10 scorers with a higher strikerate than anyone above him bar Uthappa;

Cricket Records | Indian Premier League, 2009/10 | Records | Most runs | Cricinfo.com

Decent numbers without being amongst the best, sure, but hardly reason to say he's being carried by team India. More to the point, lumping a slightly under-achieving but experienced Sehwag in with a clearly out-of-his depth and woefully inexperienced Clarke is very harsh on Sehwag. Although Clarke obviously makes comparison difficult by not even turning up for an IPL team or NSW....
With the 2nd worst average among the top 20 run getters. Being an opener, of course he'll be expected to be near about the top of the run charts. Even Hayden and Gilchrist are up there in that list. What am saying is compare his performances with his peers. Further he hardly seem to play the kind of match winning knocks in T20s these days one expects from openers.

Sir Alex

Banned
Still reckon an average of 25 at a SR of 150+ is a valuable resource to a team. Especially in a side with a Gautim opening along side him, and genuine batting depth below him.
Agreed. Reminds of people who criticised Gilchrist's ODI record because he only averaged 30. Missing the point of why he was there; the sheer speed of scoring meant he'd either bash a quick ton and win the game off his own bat, give someone else a platform to work with or get out of the way quickly.
Not really. India's batting depth in T20s have been exposed in the last 2 world Cups. Further these are IPL figures and when you need to take that with a bit of salt. Further he hardly seem to play the kind of knocks that made Gilly the indispensible force he was in ODIs, which is producing that matchwinning 100. Sehwag after 39 IPL games does not have a 100 to his credit, and has just 4 50s in the last 25 games.

Unlike in tests and ODIs, reputations are of no use without form backing them up.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With the 2nd worst average among the top 20 run getters. Being an opener, of course he'll be expected to be near about the top of the run charts. Even Hayden and Gilchrist are up there in that list. What am saying is compare his performances with his peers. Further he hardly seem to play the kind of match winning knocks in T20s these days one expects from openers.
Whatever, the point is he doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Clarke. Sehwag's just under-performing whereas it's questionable whether Clarke would even make any of the top sides. Massive difference between the two.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Whatever, the point is he doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Clarke. Sehwag's just under-performing whereas it's questionable whether Clarke would even make any of the top sides. Massive difference between the two.
Fair enough. Clarke would be a pain for even domestic T20 teams. Sehwag does not deserve India colors atm although he may continue to get selected due to lack of competition for DD atleast.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think it's accurate to try and rate captaincy purely based on the on-field stuff such as tactics. Equally important is their ability as a leader of men, and it's very hard to tell that based on onfield behaviour.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think it's accurate to try and rate captaincy purely based on the on-field stuff such as tactics. Equally important is their ability as a leader of men, and it's very hard to tell that based on onfield behaviour.
Oh definitely, it's one of the reasons that I actually rate Ponting's captaincy; from everything I've seen, and all that I've read, he's really a very good man-manager and rallies his troops behind himself very well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Average doesn't matter as much in T20. Sehwag's averaging mid 20s and striking at almost 160 - that's more than acceptable.

Look at England in this T20 - neither Lumb nor Kieswetter has scored big runs this tournament, but what they have done (Lumb in particular) is score fast runs, which gives the likes of Pietersen and Morgan a platform from which they can either build a very competitive total, or feel comfortable chasing a total.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh definitely, it's one of the reasons that I actually rate Ponting's captaincy; from everything I've seen, and all that I've read, he's really a very good man-manager and rallies his troops behind himself very well.
Absolutely agree. I was going to mention Ponting myself but decided against it. I hope this rubs off on Clarke - possibly Haddin's comments have a silver lining, as while patently untrue they may just indicate this.

Oh, and by the way...

"There's blokes in other teams who wouldn't cope with it without being the captain, let alone taking themselves out of the (number three batting) position as captain.
True or Nielsen doing a sales pitch?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well I'm disappointed Australia didn't win, as I really love this T20 team.

But it makes me happy Clarke has no opportunity to hold the trophy as winner.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
He finishes with 92 runs in 6 innings @ 15.33 with a strike-rate of 80.70. And took a wicket for 53 runs at 8.83 runs an over. Nice "modern all-round player" we have as captain Hilditch. :(