Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sachin Tendulkar and T20 International Cricket

IMO you shouldn't be allowed to play the IPL if you're going to make yourself unavailable for national T20 selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    IMO you shouldn't be allowed to play the IPL if you're going to make yourself unavailable for national T20 selection.
    Interesting.

1. That prevents players (such as Tiwary for e.g.) learning from the great Tendulkar
    2. Why only apply that for IPL? At the end of the day for all its glitz and glamour, its still a domestic tournament. How come a player can not play test cricket but be allowed to play FC cricket in many countries?
    3. Its Tendulkar FFS. Appreciate watching him whenever you can, even if it is in the IPL.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Interesting.

1. That prevents players (such as Tiwary for e.g.) learning from the great Tendulkar
    2. Why only apply that for IPL? At the end of the day for all its glitz and glamour, its still a domestic tournament. How come a player can not play test cricket but be allowed to play FC cricket in many countries?
    3. Its Tendulkar FFS. Appreciate watching him whenever you can, even if it is in the IPL.
    Players can learn from the great SRT if he plays in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy too. Unfortunately it doesn't pay as well as the IPL and SRT chooses to skip the tournament. Its all about the money, and that forms the basis for my opposition.

Banned
    Funniest thing I've heard. Stop players from participating in domestic cricket after they retire from International cricket!

Banned
    Players can learn from the great SRT if he plays in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy too. Unfortunately it doesn't pay as well as the IPL and SRT chooses to skip the tournament. Its all about the money, and that forms the basis for my opposition.
    Is it a wrong thing to play for money then?

He had retired from the international Format BEFORE IPL was even thought out. Nobody said he couldn't play in domestic T20s because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Is it a wrong thing to play for money then?
    No, isn't. But lets not be precious about calling a spade a spade.

He had retired from the international Format BEFORE IPL was even thought out. Nobody said he couldn't play in domestic T20s because of that.
    Nice, looking forward to seeing him play the Syed Mushtaq Trophy this year

Banned
    No, isn't. But lets not be precious about calling a spade a spade.

Nice, looking forward to seeing him play the Syed Mushtaq Trophy this year
    Don't be lame. I asked what is wrong with participating in domestic cricket after retiring from international cricket?

If you want to call a spade a spade, call everyone including kumble, Dravid, Gilchrist, Warne, Hayden, Ganguly, Bond etc.

Let BCCI not schedule any India matches around that time. Then he might participate in that like he did in 2007.

Don't be lame. I asked what is wrong with participating in domestic cricket after retiring from international cricket?

If you want to call a spade a spade, call everyone including kumble, Dravid, Gilchrist, Warne, Hayden, Ganguly, Bond etc.
    I'm not going to go through the bother of compiling a list here. Needless to say it applies to anyone playing the IPL and not wanting to be considered for national selection or the state T20 tournament. Its their rightful choice, just as it is mine for calling them out for their motives.

Let BCCI not schedule any India matches around that time. Then he might participate in that like he did in 2007.
    There were no matches scheduled during the majority of Mumbai's matches last year.

Banned
    I'm not going to go through the bother of compiling a list here. Needless to say it applies to anyone playing the IPL and not wanting to be considered for national selection or the state T20 tournament. Its their rightful choice, just as it is mine for calling them out for their motives.

What is this "calling out"? Every one knows money is the only factor Tendulkar agreed to play in IPL. I don't find anything wrong in that considering he gave up International T20s well before that and stuck to his line.

Tendulkar indeed played state T20 when India was not playing any cricket, check out 2007.

There were no matches scheduled during the majority of Mumbai's matches last year.

Mumbai played it's matches on consecutive days from Oct 20 to Oct 24 this year. India - Australia ODI series started on Oct 25.

What is this "calling out"? Every one knows money is the only factor Tendulkar agreed to play in IPL. I don't find anything wrong in that considering he gave up International T20s well before that and stuck to his line.

Tendulkar indeed played state T20 when India was not playing any cricket, check out 2007.
    And he didn't in 2009 when India weren't playing any cricket. I'd have a lot more respect for his stance if he played the domestic T20 comp that didn't pay as well too.

Mumbai played it's matches on consecutive days from Oct 20 to Oct 24 this year. India - Australia ODI series started on Oct 25.
    So no overlap, and yet he didn't play. Its simple.

Banned
    And he didn't in 2009 when India weren't playing any cricket. I'd have a lot more respect for his stance if he played the domestic T20 comp that didn't pay as well too.
    I'd agree with you, but it happens no such thing happened in 2008-09

Family unhappy with treatment meted out to Mushtaq Ali Trophy

So no overlap, and yet he didn't play. Its simple.
    Yeah he should've played a domestic t20 competition one day before start of a major ODI series? Please don't act foolish. You are much better than that. Tell me where do you find a precedent in that case?

Overall 2/10 for the fishing attempt. But FAIL.

I'd agree with you, but it happens no such thing happened in 2008-09

Family unhappy with treatment meted out to Mushtaq Ali Trophy
    Who said anything about 2008? Are you even aware there was a tournament played in 2009?

8- Yeah he should've played a domestic t20 competition one day before start of a major ODI series? Please don't act foolish. You are much better than that. Tell me where do you find a precedent in that case?
    Unless all of Mumbai's matches were played a day before the ODI series, your argument is moot. There are players who have just played a domestic T20 final 5 days before a T20 World Cup. A meaningless ODI series bears no comparison.

Overall 2/10 for the fishing attempt. But FAIL.
    Thats going to give me sleepless nights

Banned
    Who said anything about 2008? Are you even aware there was a tournament played in 2009?
    Duh, there have been only 2 Mushtaq Ali tourneys held

2007-08 - Sachin participated
    2009-10 - Clashed with Ind-Aus series
    Unless all of Mumbai's matches were played a day before the ODI series, your argument is moot. There are players who have just played a domestic T20 final 5 days before a T20 World Cup. A meaningless ODI series bears no comparison.
    A league match in a 2nd level T20 competition is more important than an ODI series with Australia

Unless all the matches Tendulkar missed were more than 5 days prior to the Aus series, your argument is moot as well.

Thats going to give me sleepless nights

Duh, there have been only 2 Mushtaq Ali tourneys held

2007-08 - Sachin participated
    2009-10 - Clashed with Ind-Aus series
    So why mention a non existent 2008 one?

A league match in a 2nd level T20 competition is more important than an ODI series with Australia

Unless all the matches Tendulkar missed were more than 5 days prior to the Aus series, your argument is moot as well.

Yeah, because players needed to play either all five or none at all. Oh wait, they didn't.

Banned
    So why mention a non existent 2008 one?
    So your argument below is stupid as well

And he didn't in 2009 when India weren't playing any cricket.

Yeah, because players needed to play either all five or none at all. Oh wait, they didn't.
    Yeah he should be playing a meaningless T20 league match 4 days before an ODI series between World No.1 and World No.2, when would he then join the squad? Further where is proof that BCCI would have released him to play even if he wanted to?

Also I asked you where is the precedent??
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 18-05-2010 at 05:34 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information