Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which team is going to win the 20-20 world cup ?

GGG
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Is that it? Whinges about population?

Heh. I'll remember that when the Football World Cup comes along and Brazil win, maybe. I'm sure China and India will be gutted to have missed out, but others will be delighted with beating each other to the semi final places.
    Whinging? Yeah I am winging because we have been a better team at ODI's than England for a long time, and it pains you.

Heh nope, England have been just wildly erratic. On a good day England could beat anyone when it meant something. New Zealand on the other hand have been a consistently mediocre outfit, which will get you consistently to the quarter/semi finals and consistently not win anything worthwhile.

Unlike certain other sides, like for instance Australia, there's no real rivalry with New Zealand. They're too insignificant. You seem keen to try and build one up because you know Australia will crush you whenever they feel like it.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

State Captain
    boy when was the last time nz played their full team. so excited for this series.we should atleast get to the finals.

ryder

Well in the past England have generally picked players at the top of the order in particular who are just blatant liabilities (Denly, Bopara, Key etc.) This time they look pretty strong batting-wise albeit their opening partnership is completely unproven. They have done okay in recent T20Is. They'd have made the semis last time but for being D/L-****ed.

Sri Lanka are leagues ahead of NZ.

Their team would have these names in it, potentially:

Dilshan
    Jayawardene
    Sangakkara
    Jayasuriya
    Mathews
    Kulasekara
    Malinga
    Murali
    Mendis

I doubt the fill-ins will be worse than what NZ have, whilst there are far more quality names and better quality names.
    Dinesh Chandimal is not a fill in by any means. Best batsman of local 50-50 format and very good in T20s. Chanaka Welagedara is the best pacemen SL has at the moment except Malinga. Real fill ins are Kulasekara, Jayasuriya amd Kapugedara,and these are in because of politics. Maharoof, Vaas / Thushara, Kulatunga (best batsman of local T20 tournament) should have replaced them.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    India to play Sri Lanka in the final. Anything can happen but I'd imagine India has too many in-form guns.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    India to play Sri Lanka
    Just what the cricketing world needs right now - another India v Sri Lanka game!
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    lol.. is it juz me or India being HUGELY over rated here? Come on guys.. On those slow and low tracks, we suck!!!

SL, Aus, Windies, Eng and NZ all have a chance for mine..

If I have to pick one, think SL can pull this one off.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Dinesh Chandimal is not a fill in by any means. Best batsman of local 50-50 format and very good in T20s. Chanaka Welagedara is the best pacemen SL has at the moment except Malinga. Real fill ins are Kulasekara, Jayasuriya amd Kapugedara,and these are in because of politics. Maharoof, Vaas / Thushara, Kulatunga (best batsman of local T20 tournament) should have replaced them.
    Yeah agree with most of this, actually didn't know Roofers and Vaas weren't in the set up. Real shocker of a choice that. Kula is good but not in T20, Jayasuriya is struggling these days and Kapu isn't suited to this format.

How does Piranha (vitana) go in this format, have only seen him in Tests?
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Heh nope, England have been just wildly erratic. On a good day England could beat anyone when it meant something. New Zealand on the other hand have been a consistently mediocre outfit, which will get you consistently to the quarter/semi finals and consistently not win anything worthwhile.

Unlike certain other sides, like for instance Australia, there's no real rivalry with New Zealand. They're too insignificant. You seem keen to try and build one up because you know Australia will crush you whenever they feel like it.
    Would take NZ over England in ODIs pretty much every time personally. And the argument that 'on a good day England could beat anyone' is a bit misleading, because any team will win if they have a good day (see Bangladesh at Cardiff 2005), it's just that England's good days in ODIs, especially in large tournaments, seem few and far between.

But this is T20s not ODIs, and England do certainly have a decent line-up, so who knows. I think it's really a bit too hard to pick a favourite at this stage, maybe it's just because I'm not that clued up on T20, but they're just far too unpredictable for mine. NZ do definitely have some good names in their line-ups though, with Bond, Vettori, Taylor, Ryder and McCullum. Whether it'll be enough remains to be seen. Would back them over Aus though, that's for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Difference is Murali did really well when he played.

McCullum in reality is poor as an international batsman, if you look past the hype.
    And I stopped reading. He has one of the best Int20/20 records going around, and he just scored 100 against a very good attack only a month or so ago.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    And I stopped reading. He has one of the best Int20/20 records going around, and he just scored 100 against a very good attack only a month or so ago.
    In a meaningless game against crap bowling on an absolute road.

Look at his record in proper meaningful contests. Rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    How does Piranha (vitana) go in this format, have only seen him in Tests?
    OKish. Nothing flash about him though

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Pak will successfully defend the title.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

School Boy/Girl Captain GraemeSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Pak will successfully defend the title.
    And the sun will rise from the west

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    In a meaningless game against crap bowling on an absolute road.

Look at his record in proper meaningful contests. Rubbish.
    Surely you could do better then that Scaly?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information