• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Squad discussion

gvenkat

State Captain
West Indies Team for ICC World T20
The West Indies selectors have named the following players for the ICC World T20 Tournament to be played in the Caribbean from April 30 to May 16:

1. Chris Gayle (Captain)
2. Sulieman Benn
3. Dwayne Bravo
4. Shiv Chanderpaul
5. Narsingh Deonarine
6. Andre Fletcher
7. Wavell Hinds
8. Nikita Miller
9. Kieron Pollard
10. Denesh Ramdin
11. Ravi Rampaul
12. Kemar Roach
13. Darren Sammy
14. Ramnaresh Sarwan
15. Jerome Taylor
Would have preferred Dwayne Smith for Andre Fletcher.

analyst

U19 12th Man
What happened to Adrian Barath and Darren Bravo? Surely you don't need two spinners in 20/20 cricket and could have done with an allrounder?

Craig

World Traveller
I'm not sure if I rate Dwayne Smith as a cricketer, wasn'tit that long ago he wanted to try his luck in England?

Julian87

State Captain
Leaving out Smith is so stupid. I didn't see the Zimbabwe series but he was arguably their best (him or Pollard) in the limited overs stuff in Australia.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Smith is left out due to disciplinary isseus from all indications. Barath and Bravo to focus more on the longer forms. Only player who has a case is Lendl Simmonds.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'm not sure if I rate Dwayne Smith as a cricketer, wasn'tit that long ago he wanted to try his luck in England?
Cheers for the pm about this forum Criag!! :thumbup: , anyway apart from Hinds i don't mind this squad at all, there were rumours a week ago about Barath and Darren Bravo missing out and i can understand why, they are gonna be vital to us for years to come in the longer form of the game so i guess that's where their main focus should be, we've got two match winners in the side in Gayle and Pollard so hopefully they'll step up, looking back at the last t20 cup i don't know how on earth we made it to the semi final!!, along the way we played.

Australia
Sri-lanka
South Africa
India
England

And then we played Sri-lanka in the semi's again, what a shocking run of fixtures that was for us :laugh:, hopefully we'll have a much easier run this time but i won't be holding my breath, also Andre Fletcher better get his damn act together, on his day he's as explosive as Pollard and he was in brilliant form for Leewards last season but in the Zimbabwe series he wasn't good at all, i guess the coaches see something in him that he hasn't managed to show the WI fans yet, i hope he grabs his chance now, i wouldn't bet on us winning the competition but man for man i think we're pretty solid and can give anyone a game.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
No room for Dave Mohammed? I was under the impression he was one of the better T20 bowlers in the West Indies.

shivfan

Banned
For some reason, the WI selectors have been ignoring Dave Mohammed for years. I wonder if there are so-called disciplinary issues involved.

In the longer form of the game, he's had trouble keeping his place in the Trinidad side, but he's practically a fixture in the 20/20 side for his country. A case could also be made for his countryman Samuel Badree in this format....

Smith played irresponsibly for the WI against Zimbabwe, as did Pollard and Ramdin, and the trio were rightly criticised by Gayle and Gibson. But while Pollard and Ramdin put their heads down and answered the criticism with their performances, apparently Smith did not take the criticism well at all. Since Smith has been dropped, Gibson has made some remarks about Smith that seem to indicate that he's in the doghouse.

As for his abilities in 20/20 cricket, we didn't see much of him in the IPL, as Deccan Chargers benched him for most of their matches. He only played two matches, I think. Hardly a ringing endorsement....

I quite like the squad too. I'm not convinced that this is Hinds' favourite format, but given Simmons' indifferent form recently, and the runs Hinds scored for Jamaica this season, it's not an unreasonable selection.

After this world 20/20 champs, I hope Shiv retires from this format to concentrate on the longer versions of the game. 20/20 cricket just doesn't suit him.

Once again, kudos to the selectors for encouraging Barath and Darren Bravo to concentrate on the longer form of the game....

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Chris Gayle (Captain)
Andre Fletcher (WK)
Shiv Chanderpaul
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Wavell Hinds
Narsingh Deonarine
Dwayne Bravo
Kieron Pollard
Jerome Taylor
Nikita Miller/Sulieman Benn
Kemar Roach

I expect that to be the final 11 ... WI has 7 bowlers to bowl 20 overs, so that should give gayle alot of options and WI also have 8 batsmen, with taylor and any of the spinners with the potential to hit out. It's a pretty good team, should go far.

10. Denesh Ramdin
11. Ravi Rampaul

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Why would you play Fletcher and Ramdin and worse of all give Fletcher the gloves?

Oh wait.. Why 10 and 11?

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Why would you play Fletcher and Ramdin and worse of all give Fletcher the gloves?

Oh wait.. Why 10 and 11?
oh oh, 10 and 11 came from the quote ..I forgot to remove the number from those two names. :laugh:

Ramdin and rampaul aren't playing.

Im dying to see what taylor is going to do with the ball.