• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Squad discussion thread

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Player's Pool:
Brent Arnel, Shane Bond, Neil Broom, Ian Butler, Brendon Diamanti, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Gareth Hopkins, Jamie How, Peter Ingram, Michael Mason, Brendon McCullum, Nathan McCullum, Peter McGlashan, Andy McKay, Kyle Mills, Rob Nicol, Kieran Noema-Barnett, Jacob Oram, Jeetan Patel, Aaron Redmond, Jesse Ryder, Bradley Scott, Mathew Sinclair, Tim Southee, Shanan Stewart, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Daryl Tuffey, Daniel Vettori

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Final squad (assuming fitness):

Jesse Ryder
Brendon McCullum
Martin Guptill
Aaron Redmond
Ross Taylor
Scott Styris
Rob Nicol
Jacob Oram
Gareth Hopkins (wk)
Daniel Vettori (capt)
Nathan McCullum
Kyle Mills
Tim Southee
Shane Bond
Ian Butler

Howsie

International Captain
I can't quite understand why Rob Nicol's in the squad tbh. Ryder, McCullum, Guptill and Redmond are the squads four options up top, why the need for the 5th?

Would of gone for Stewart personally, far better player of spin and we'll see a **** load of it in the West Indies.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
I can't quite understand why Rob Nicol's in the squad tbh. Ryder, McCullum, Guptill and Redmond are the squads four options up top, why the need for the 5th?

Would of gone for Stewart personally, far better player of spin and we'll see a **** load of it in the West Indies.
It's part of the selectors master plan of stacking the side with batsmen who can bowl in order to make space for Gareth Hopkins 8-)

I'm keen for Robbie Nicol to get a go, I just hope they haven't disposed of Stewart after two games.

I forgot to mention, there's an 'injury cover' squad in case the above aren't passed fit:
Peter Ingram
Shanan Stewart
James Franklin
Peter McGlashan
Jeetan Patel
Brent Arnel
Andy McKay

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My predicted 11

Jesse Ryder
Brendon McCullum
Martin Guptill
Ross Taylor
Scott Styris
Jacob Oram
Gareth Hopkins (wk)
Daniel Vettori (capt)
Nathan McCullum
Tim Southee
Shane Bond

Choosing the bowlers was quite difficult. You could easily put in Mills or Butler ahead of Southee. But went with him because he has been playing more recently. They could also choose to leave NMcCullum off the starting XI

Also what number will they bat Oram - Hopkins batted ahead of him in Wellington.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I forgot to mention, there's an 'injury cover' squad in case the above aren't passed fit:
Peter Ingram
Shanan Stewart
James Franklin
Peter McGlashan
Jeetan Patel
Brent Arnel
Andy McKay
Why did Patel make this list. I am starting to develop a dislike for his continued selection for squads. I used to like him as well. Dimitri Mascarenas (sp?) showed in a T20 game why Patel is not suitable for T20.

Ryder off after one over, Patel back.
Patel to Mascarenhas, 1 run, squirted into the on side
Patel to Collingwood, 1 run, thumped to long-on
Patel to Mascarenhas, SIX, driven high over long-on, he middled that and some, and it carries into the second tier of the stand
Patel to Mascarenhas, SIX, and more of the same, and that went even further if anything
Patel to Mascarenhas, SIX, this is The Oval revisited ... another swing high over long-on, many rows back
McCullum trots down to have a word with his bowler. Don't toss it up might be the advice ...
Patel to Mascarenhas, SIX, Patel switches to round the wicket but it makes not a scrap of difference ... another big swing of the arms and a fourth six disappears over long-on
That was the same shot four times in succession and Patel was almost feeding that .

Oh well putting my positive person hat on. Good luck to Patel if he gets called up.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Why did Patel make this list. I am starting to develop a dislike for his continued selection for squads. I used to like him as well. Dimitri Mascarenas (sp?) showed in a T20 game why Patel is not suitable for T20.
Probably because after Vettori and McCullum, he's the next choice spinner? Possibly to do with 16 wickets at 16.81 in T20 Internationals? Backed up by 47 @ 21 domestically? Does buy his wickets, though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Rob Nicol has been pretty good domestically for a while. In my mind the 'next Black Caps' batsmen-wise for the past few years were Neil Broom, Rob Nicol and Greg Todd (in that order - Flynn and Stewart were called up in the mean time).

He has a good record for T20s domestically - averaging 35 (just 23 this season, though). When you look at the squad, a lot of the batsmen seem to be openers: Ryder, McCullum, Redmond, Guptill. Taylor and Styris are the only genuine middle order batsmen (Ryder is too, actually, but he'll probably open...Hopkins is a lower order finisher + keeper). Having Nicol makes sense to me, since Broom is injured.

Howsie

International Captain
My predicted 11

Jesse Ryder
Brendon McCullum
Martin Guptill
Ross Taylor
Scott Styris
Jacob Oram
Gareth Hopkins (wk)
Daniel Vettori (capt)
Nathan McCullum
Tim Southee
Shane Bond

Choosing the bowlers was quite difficult. You could easily put in Mills or Butler ahead of Southee. But went with him because he has been playing more recently. They could also choose to leave NMcCullum off the starting XI

Also what number will they bat Oram - Hopkins batted ahead of him in Wellington.
Tim Southee was the best performing New Zealand quick in the HRV cup, he then continued that form into the Australian series, he's the best death bowler we have AFAIC, he has to be in the team. Ian Butler's never been that consistant since coming back.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm expecting a weakened NZ side to make it through the first group stage and New Zealand A to get knocked out in the second group stage.

GGG

State Captain
Is there no other batsman in the country better than Hopkins? And why not play him as a batsman only and play our best wicketkeeper as a wicketkeeper? Christ this is Parore all over again.

/ deadhorse

Athlai

Not Terrible
Is there no other batsman in the country better than Hopkins? And why not play him as a batsman only and play our best wicketkeeper as a wicketkeeper? Christ this is Parore all over again.

/ deadhorse
Did you not see his recent performances against Aus?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh I find it peculiar the way McCullum suddenly doesn't want to be keeper... it's like he's being taken in by his own hype. The guy has a **** record once you take out the flat-track bullying and shouldn't make the side as a batsman alone - it's only because NZ are so weak in that department. Seems quite a crappy attitude to have.

He's the keeper, get on with it.

Last edited: