Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *Official* England Squad discussion thread

Lumb also scored 442 runs in last season's T20 Cup, at a SR of 160. Only Trott scored more runs.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Lumb had an awesome season last year, scored runs for the Lions (made a big score against England iirc) and is now playing in the IPL. Not exactly a shock call-up. Kieswetter + Lumb make for a pretty exciting opening partnership I think.

As for Yardy. Flower made it clear he wanted a left-armer during the Bangladesh series, and Yardy had an excellent season last year with the ball, so I'd say his selection makes sense; especially if the pitches are similar to those seen in the Zimbabwe series. It was either going to be him or Patel/Blackwell, and Yardy's done more to earn himself selection, and isn't as much of a porker.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    Lumb had an awesome season last year, scored runs for the Lions (made a big score against England iirc) and is now playing in the IPL. Not exactly a shock call-up. Kieswetter + Lumb make for a pretty exciting opening partnership I think.

As for Yardy. Flower made it clear he wanted a left-armer during the Bangladesh series, and Yardy had an excellent season last year with the ball, so I'd say his selection makes sense; especially if the pitches are similar to those seen in the Zimbabwe series. It was either going to be him or Patel/Blackwell, and Yardy's done more to earn himself selection, and isn't as much of a porker.
    Hmm. Unlikely to be mistaken for an anorexic anytime soon tho.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Haha. Indeed, he's certainly no size zero, but he appears to have made a slightly better fist of avoiding the pies than Patel or Blackwell.

Yardy's done ok with the bat in the few T20i's he's played too. Yet to record an average, and is striking at 146. Not done quite as well with the ball, taking 2 wickets in 10 overs, with an economy of 8.50, but he did seem to have improved with the ball last season. I think he could be a handy selection, gives us a Botha-VanDerMerwe-esque partnership with the ball in the middle overs. The canny (or should that be chinny?) off-spinner bowling alongside the slightly plump left-arm spinning 'all-rounder'. Be nice if they went as well as the 2 Saffa's did in the last WC!

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post

It's just that you'd think if we're going to pick these guys they should have at least played a bit more for England at some point. And I know you can have one or two come out of the woodwork, but this seems a bit much.

Lumb has never played for England.
    Kieswetter has played 3 ODIs and no T20s.
    Shazhad has played one ODI and one T20.
    Tredwell has played one test and one ODI, no T20s.
    Yardy played 6 ODIs and 3 T20s three years ago.

Crazy stuff. It's like Theo Walcott x100.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Yardy will probably go ok on prank pitches, and we are likely to get a few in WI, outside the prank pitches he wont be near the side. Plenty of WTF's in the selection tho
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Could someone please explain to me why Sidebottom is still anywhere near any international team of any description? Because I am entirely out of ideas.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinissimo View Post
    Could someone please explain to me why Sidebottom is still anywhere near any international team of any description? Because I am entirely out of ideas.
    One possible explanation is, he is better at carrying drinks than Plunkett or other possible bench warmers. Another one would be, given his recent increase in weight, perhaps they needed some hot air in an emergency, which makes one wonder why poor Samit Patel is sitting out.
    Viv Richards-One Day Cricket is like Fast Food no one wants to cook.

U19 12th Man
    No mystery to explain why England have selected their squad as they did, England frequently misunderstand what is required in limited over cricket. It is no great shock that their most competent cricketer in this format will be captain Collingwood and then Eion Morgan. Bopara and Lumb are good, neither however will be given the adequate support required to succeed against the very best in a one month period. Expect upsets and to never see Lumb and Yardy in England colors again if England fail.

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Was Ian Blackwell close to making it? Strikes me as a bloke who'd be perfect for T20 cricket in the Wesi Indies.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Okay. Side for the opener.

Here's mine:

Kieswetter, no choice really
    Bopara
    KP
    Colly
    Morgan
    Wright
    Yardy
    Swann
    Tredwell
    Broad
    Anderson

Lacking in batting, but then that's the squad really. Two main seamers but Wright and Colly can fill in if the spin doesn't work as I hope. Could open with Swann or any number of the all-rounders, it'll be ghastly at the top of the order whatever.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinissimo View Post
    His t20 record in all formats might have something to do with. Or maybe his performance in the last t20 world cup.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Okay. Side for the opener.

Here's mine:

Kieswetter, no choice really
    Bopara
    KP
    Colly
    Morgan
    Wright
    Yardy
    Swann
    Tredwell
    Broad
    Anderson

Lacking in batting, but then that's the squad really. Two main seamers but Wright and Colly can fill in if the spin doesn't work as I hope. Could open with Swann or any number of the all-rounders, it'll be ghastly at the top of the order whatever.
    This looks good, or Bresnan in for Tredwell. I've got a good feeling about England this time around. I think the lower scores could really help us.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    This looks good, or Bresnan in for Tredwell. I've got a good feeling about England this time around. I think the lower scores could really help us.
    Yeah, I just don't like seeing Bres lumber around in 20/20, his batting is useful in this game though.

In the West Indies I think the spin will be more important though. Broad, Anderson, Wright and Collingwood to provide the seam; Swanneh, Tredwell and Yardy to provide spin for me. It's actually the bowling I'm more worried about though. I think the batting is strong. A line-up of Kieswetter, Lumb/Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Morgan, Wright and Yardy is very solid I believe. Just hoping the bowling steps up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information