• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - West Indies, England, Ireland

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion around Group D involving West Indies, England, Ireland

Schedule

Fri Apr 30
West Indies v Ireland
Providence Stadium, Guyana

Mon May 3
West Indies v England

Tue May 4
England v Ireland

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wouldn't suprise me if this group came down to NRR.

In fact, there's no possible outcome in this group that would genuinely suprise me.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was aiming for some glimmer of hope that there might be one or two grounds that don't have prank pitches like those against Zimbabwe...

West Indies shouldn't be allowed near any limited overs contest like this.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Windie to respond... :ph34r:
It's hard challenging every misinformed comment Craig!! :laugh: , if he doesn't know that we've got some decent pitches that suit spin, and some good pitches for pace then there's not much i can say, he'll see when the competition kicks off.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's hard challenging every misinformed comment Craig!! :laugh: , if he doesn't know that we've got some decent pitches that suit spin, and some good pitches for pace then there's not much i can say, he'll see when the competition kicks off.
The last World Cup in the Caribbean was full of dreadful slow pitches. Around half of the first round of group games were turgid attritional crapfests. The domestic scene is dominated by spin bowlers. Test matches are played on bowler's graveyards. There'll probably be the odd good pitch, but past experience suggests most of them won't be.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The last World Cup in the Caribbean was full of dreadful slow pitches. Around half of the first round of group games were turgid attritional crapfests. The domestic scene is dominated by spin bowlers. Test matches are played on bowler's graveyards. There'll probably be the odd good pitch, but past experience suggests most of them won't be.
That's my point you're talking from "past experience", since Gibson became our manager he's seeked to get the pitches up to standard, so hopefully things will be much different this time.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That's my point you're talking from "past experience", since Gibson became our manager he's seeked to get the pitches up to standard, so hopefully things will be much different this time.
Hopefully so, although that really isn't a long time to be getting things in order. I would be surprised if many of the pitches could undergo big transformations within that time span.

shivfan

Banned
can WI make it past the group stage?
Given that Ireland have been beaten by both Jamaica and Trinidad in the warmups, I'd say yes....
:)
As for the pitches, the worst ones in the Zimbabwe series were in Trinidad. These matches will be played in Guyana, I think, and the pitches suit batting better there.

Yes, every team should select a spinner or two. But the same is true of the IPL. The pitches in the Caribbean will be very similar to the IPL. I would expect Providence to assist spin, be good for batting, and cause tears to flow from the pace bowlers....

Last edited:

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why are pitches in WI so slow? And how did they produce fast bowlers like Walsh/Ambrose and other legendary bowlers of the past if the pitches are slow, low and turning?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why are pitches in WI so slow? And how did they produce fast bowlers like Walsh/Ambrose and other legendary bowlers of the past if the pitches are slow, low and turning?
Haven't always been that way. Jamaica's Sabina Park was dug up and replaced around '91 for example, was much lower/slower.