• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - West Indies, England, Ireland

King Pietersen

International Captain
On Twitter Bumble reckons that after seeing practice; Lumb will play and Bopara won't with Sidey in for Broad.
Sidebottom? Is Broad injured or is this another of Bumble's brilliant theories? "Ger a 'lef armer in ya side" "Ger a leg-spinner in ya side". Sidebottom's done nothing in International cricket for a long-time. Even if Broad's injured I'd rather see Tredwell come in.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sidebottom? Is Broad injured or is this another of Bumble's brilliant theories? "Ger a 'lef armer in ya side" "Ger a leg-spinner in ya side". Sidebottom's done nothing in International cricket for a long-time. Even if Broad's injured I'd rather see Tredwell come in.
Sidebottom has a much better T20I record with the ball than any other seamer England have available.

Edit: Only Broad has anything like the T20 domestic record too.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would play Sid if he's fit, tbh. Only one of our seamers I'd fancy to get it up in the blockhole consistently at the death.

Family sized "if" tho... A fit Sid rather like a unicorn or a heterosexual Catholic priest; a figure of fable.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Meh. Sidebottom's looked incredibly unconvincing in all forms of the game in the last year. Not had a good T20i since the India game in the last WC. He's a slightly better option in T20 cricket than in any other form of the game, but I've lost faith in Sidearse tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Taibu's like a whippet, but he's still not much of a runner, is he? Enthusiasm but not much thought...

& the covers are on again; SL's game if we don't come back.

King Pietersen

International Captain
No Jimmeh or Bopara for England, and we're batting first. The side looks like:

Lumb
Kieswetter
Pietersen
Collingwood
Morgan
Wright
Bresnan
Yardy
Swann
Broad
Sidearse

Fairly happy with the side. Would have gone with Jimmy over Sidebottom though personally. Jimmeh's improved in ODi cricket of late, and has actually been performing for England. Sidebottom's got a good T20 record and all, but he's done sod-all for England in the last year; and Jimmeh's a FAR better fielder. Have to see how he goes I guess. Hoping the pitch is flat and has some pace, as that gives our openers a good chance of getting us off to a flyer.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Athers says there's a hint of Michael Clarke in the way Kieswetter bats. Let's hope there's only a tiny hint.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
No Jimmeh or Bopara for England, and we're batting first. The side looks like:

Lumb
Kieswetter
Pietersen
Collingwood
Wright
Bresnan
Yardy
Swann
Broad
Sidearse

Fairly happy with the side. Would have gone with Jimmy over Sidebottom though personally. Jimmeh's improved in ODi cricket of late, and has actually been performing for England. Sidebottom's got a good T20 record and all, but he's done sod-all for England in the last year; and Jimmeh's a FAR better fielder. Have to see how he goes I guess. Hoping the pitch is flat and has some pace, as that gives our openers a good chance of getting us off to a flyer.
Missing Morgan? Bresnan at 6 would scare me :haha:

King Pietersen

International Captain
:laugh: Yeah, thought the batting order looked a bit thin.

I see Kevin Pietersen striding out to the middle in the first over. Just got a feeling we're losing a wicket in the 1st over.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Lovely start for Michael Lumb. Looked confident against Benn, and is filling his boots against what has been a very poor start from Rampaul. 2 wides, 2 boundaries, a mis-field and now a no ball. Not been a great start.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Loving this start from Lumb. Doing his job perfectly. We'd have been on about 6-2 by now if we'd gone with the same opening pair as the last WC.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmm. He finally gets on strike and we get three defensive shots from Kieswetter. What we brought him into the team for, obv...