Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Group D - West Indies, England, Ireland

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Do we have a lot more Saffas coming through at the moment? I kind of assume that these things come and go and so numbers in the side will change soon enough.
    Dunno, but Keiswetter would want to be scoring runs soon, Davies has had a pretty handy start to the season.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

I'll admit I'm worried about all these Saffies in our side, worried that they're not scoring any ****ing runs.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Dunno, but Keiswetter would want to be scoring runs soon, Davies has had a pretty handy start to the season.
    Davies has been equal if not better than Kieswetter over all of his career though - doesn't seem to make the selector's pick him.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Davies has been equal if not better than Kieswetter over all of his career though - doesn't seem to make the selector's pick him.
    TBF Kieswetter got into the T20 team on the back of a couple of insanely good performances for the Lions, one of them against England IIRC. It's debatable who the better player is but it's hard to argue that he wasn't picked on merit.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Except you could argue that Davies should've been in for the past 12-18 months before that, by which time he'd have conceivably cemented his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Vaughan's saying shorter matches favour Ireland. Don't know if that's entirely true in the case of this particular team. Their players aren't generally capable of humming along at 10 an over for the last five the way we're accustomed to seeing test sides go.
    Yeah, I think he's just going along with the typical "India are a good example of this" theory famously introduced by Ponting that suggests that the shorter the format, the more likely the upset. While this is true to an extent - a smaller sample size will always increase the chance of a false conclusion - you also have to take into account the simple fact that Ireland are a lot better at fifty over cricket than twenty over cricket. It's not just the same thing in smaller sample sizes; the demands of the game change as it's shortened. Shortening it again will just make them even worse, particularly given they've already bowled. This is totally different to, for example, taking a random patch of ten overs from each side's innings in an ODI and comparing them, which would obviously favour Ireland a lot more than the entirety of the ODI.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that while they now have a bigger chance of pulling off a fluke, their chances of genuinely outplaying the opposition have gone down. Vaughan probably doesn't believe the latter is actually possible.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 04-05-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Scheduling a cricket event in Guyana in the wet season seems pretty bloody dumb to me

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Scheduling a cricket event in Guyana in the wet season seems pretty bloody dumb to me
    Yup. I blame the IPL, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, I think he's just going along with the typical "India are a good example of this" theory famously introduced by Ponting that suggests that the shorter the format, the more likely the upset. While this is true to an extent - a smaller sample size will always increase the chance of a false conclusion - you also have to take into account the simple fact that Ireland are a lot better at fifty over cricket than twenty over cricket. It's not just the same thing in smaller sample sizes; the demands of the game change as it's shortened. Shortening it again will just make them even worse, particularly given they've already bowled. This is totally different to, for example, taking a random patch of ten overs from each side's innings in an ODI and comparing them, which would obviously favour Ireland a lot more than the entirety of the ODI.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that while they now have a bigger chance of pulling off a fluke, their chances of genuinely outplaying the opposition have gone down. Vaughan probably doesn't believe the latter is actually possible.
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. Duckworth/Lewis helped England when they played Ireland in an ODI last summer, despite Ireland batting second and hence receiving what looked a pretty generous target. Afghanistan would prefer a short, sharp chase, but we like to play ourselves in. Our bowling is considerably better in ODIs too I reckon, although we've done pretty well so far here.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Davies has been consistently good, but Kieswetter was exceptional when the eyes were firmly on the pair of them. Kieswetter out-scored Davies in every single Lions match they played, and Davies was dropped during that tour and replaced by Lumb, who also scored big against England. Davies probably deserved the call-up ahead of Prior earlier, but Kieswetter forced his name into the selectors minds and simply had to be picked. Kieswetter's not exactly been terrible either. ODi century in his 3rd game, and played nicely in the 1st game of this tournament.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Raining again

Think Ireland are going out on N/R
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

****ing hell, raining again, we're going out, **** this.

Tells you something when the rain makes things less of a farce.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australiaís Darren Lehmann is a Ďblatant loserí insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    ****house way to go through if we do.

Feel for Ireland.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

That's it. Ugh. Football>cricket, I've just decided.

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread Information