Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Group D - West Indies, England, Ireland

*sigh*, never liked 20/20 much, lets concentrate on our important up-coming test-series against Bangladesh........
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    It's ridiculous that England are allowed to steal players like Morgan from Ireland. How are they going to be a good team when all their promising players are poached by Eng?
    I hate these sorts of comments, as the word poaching suggests we're stealing these players against their wills and making them play for us. Morgan decided he wanted to play a higher standard of cricket and ultimately wants to play Test cricket. It's not looking like Ireland will reach that level any time soon, so he decided to take the time to qualify for England. It's Morgan's choice to play for England, we didn't force him to leave Irish cricket and play for England.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    wtf? I just got home and switched on the cricket. Are we being rubbish or Ireland good?

Bit of both. Ireland have bowled well, but we've been toothless. Lumbs innings was promising, but apart from that it's been putrid stuff. Just hoping these 2 put on another vital partnership.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    I hate these sorts of comments, as the word poaching suggests we're stealing these players against their wills and making them play for us. Morgan decided he wanted to play a higher standard of cricket and ultimately wants to play Test cricket. It's not looking like Ireland will reach that level any time soon, so he decided to take the time to qualify for England. It's Morgan's choice to play for England, we didn't force him to leave Irish cricket and play for England.
    Granted, poaching perhaps not the most accurate phrase, but that's his point, Ireland will take even longer to (or will never) progress if their star players leave.

But the blame should not be placed on England. If a player chooses to move to England, play County Cricket for a few years with the intention of playing consistent International cricket, and is good enough, then we're going to pick them. It's the players choice to do this, not the ECB's; so the criticism should be aimed at Morgan and Joyce, not England. We're not going to stop picking International-class players that want to play for us just because it might hurt the Associate nation. It's the player from that nation that should be worrying about those consequences, not us.
    Last edited by King Pietersen; 04-05-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Or the rain could stick around and England could default through to the Super Eights by virtue of having been stuffed less ravagely by the West Indies.
    :fingerscrossed:

School Boy/Girl Captain GraemeSmith's Avatar
    These two are playing a great test match innings

GGG
    And thats why the law needs to be changed, tough luck for him and Pieterson.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    But the blame should not be placed on England. If a player chooses to move to England, play County Cricket for a few years with the intention of playing consistent International cricket, and is good enough, then we're going to pick them. It's the players choice to do this, not the ECB's; so the criticism should be aimed at Morgan and Joyce, not England. We're not going to stop picking International-class players that want to play for us just because it might hurt the Associate nation. It's the player from that nation that should be worrying about those consequences, not us.
    Don't think Alex was blaming England, just say it was ridiculous - and in Morgan's case, I agree. How long was the gap between him representing Ireland and playing for England?

Possibly. I think my argument aimed at him was due to the use of the word 'poach', which I really don't like. Indicates that England are doing something wrong when ultimately it's the players' decision.

Not sure, but it wasn't long. Neither was the length of time between Dirk Nannes representing the Netherlands and then playing for Australia. It's the law makers and the governing bodies that should be moaned at, not England for taking advantage of the rules.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    It's good that players from any country can get to play tests if they're good enough.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Possibly. I think my argument aimed at him was due to the use of the word 'poach', which I really don't like. Indicates that England are doing something wrong when ultimately it's the players' decision.

Not sure, but it wasn't long. Neither was the length of time between Dirk Nannes representing the Netherlands and then playing for Australia. It's the law makers and the governing bodies that should be moaned at, not England for taking advantage of the rules.
    On that, we agree.

GGG

Difference is Dirk Nannes is actually Australia,

But Morgan played for Middlesex for a number of years, in order to qualify for England. He didn't just randomly decide to pop an England shirt on 1 day. He had to go through a qualifying period first IIRC.

Just checked George Dockrell's Cricinfo profile and he has some pretty awesome batting statistics. Averages 0.00 in ODi's, 0.00 in T20i's, 0.50 in List A's and 0.00 in T20's. Quality stuff. Excellent T20 bowling figures though, looks a talented bowler for a 17 year old.
    Last edited by King Pietersen; 04-05-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread Information