• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - South Africa, India, Afghanistan

ret

International Debutant
This was a very good win for Ind considering how the early morning conditions and sluggish outfield hindered them in the first 10 overs or so. To counter those factors, someone had to play a binder, which was what Raina did!

And then they had to come out and bowl well too, which is again what they did for most parts. They never allowed SA to cut loose and it was more like how close SA would get to India's total than will they over come it. SA did well in the last few overs to give themselves an outside chance though but as I said it was usually too much work to do

As for the tactics, we got to see both Smith and Dhoni rotating the bowlers continuously to not allow the batsmen to settle down against a particular bowler, which is good, but you also have to remember that bowlers need to settle in to a rhythm too to bowl well. The captains have a figure out where they can draw a fine line where they give the bowlers enough overs to allow them to settle down and not allow the batsmen to settle against that bowler. For me, I would give 2 overs to a bowler (if he starts of well) and if he is bowling well then finish off his quota in one go

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Raina has developed into some T20 player. Still looks like a bit of a fatty though. Like he has too much bulk for his frame.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Do some points from this round carry over? Seeing that each team plays only 2 more in the 2nd round. If they do, these games do matter.

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kallis ruined the game for SA. Yes Graeme Smith did not do too well but he hasn't had anyway near the amount of practice that Kallis has had over the past few months. I bet that the the Indian team deliberately dropped Kallis's catches. SA could have won this game had Kallis not dicked around for so long allowing the Req run to go above 14 before getting a move on. If SA wants to win they should drop Kallis from the team. Hell, if Kallis plays against Afghanistan then Afghanistan will fancy their chances. His innings was so much worse than the statistics show, he let the pressure build by batting like he was playing a test match. He could have been out at 46 had that catch not been dropped and it would have been disastrous for SA seeing that he had faced 43 balls at that point. SA please drop Kallis from the next game if you want to go the next round.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

AB de Villiers is forced to use South Africa's ultimate weapon, the Vulcan belly tickle, after conventional methods of getting Suresh Raina out fail.

Couldn't resist sharing this.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

AaronK

State Regular
I would love to see Afghanistan pulling an upset here.. but I don't see it happening..

they will be using the same pitch of Bang vs. Aus.. after watching Dirk and Tait dominating Bang.. i don't see Afghans doing any better against the likes of Steyn.. Afghans still have problem playing short balls not to forget.. So for me South Africa will win this quit comfortably..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I would love to see Afghanistan pulling an upset here.. but I don't see it happening..

they will be using the same pitch of Bang vs. Aus.. after watching Dirk and Tait dominating Bang.. i don't see Afghans doing any better against the likes of Steyn.. Afghans still have problem playing short balls not to forget.. So for me South Africa will win this quit comfortably..
Steyn's not a back of a length bowler though. His mode of attack has always been to bowl full at the stumps at great pace with a hint of swing.

Been quite impressed with Shenwari, has managed to get some excellent turn.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see a speedgun on this Hamid Hasan fella - beat Boucher for pace with a beauty and is giving Albie Morkel the hurry-up too

Scaly piscine

How's the pitch playing those who're watching it?

Cricinfo says 87.3mph for the ball that dismissed Kallis (first delivery he bowled)

Sir Alex

Banned
This leggie is bowling a bit of a mixture but he's bowled a couple of lovely deliveries
Shenwari is so impressive. He's getting a bit of drift and turn. One drifted to leg and turned across the bat had Kallis completely squared up.

Also mighty impressed by Hassan. He has utilised the conditions nicely. More of a skiddy pacer capable of clocking over 140 k consistently.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep that leg spinner to beat Kallis' bat was a lovely ball.

Agree entirely about Hassan - he looks like a proper international bowler. Good slower ball, too

Pothas

Yeah he was excellent.

Excellent effort on the whole as well.

Really hope JP comes good though soon, love watching him.