• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Zimbabwe

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sri Lanka lost it. They screwed up simple run outs. Bowled length balls at the death. Malinga bowled a garbage last over. They managed to get hit by fresh batsmen on a pitch like that.

That's apart from the generally sloppy batting display that let NZ off the hook.
Almost sounds as if you wanted Sri Lanka to win :-O

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Poor decision in playing Mendis. The Black Caps have faced him a few times. Sri Lanka should keep the novelty act for England, South Africa and Aus.

Gayle being rested as a precaution. England did that with KP against the Netherlands...

Howsie

International Captain
Sri Lanka lost it. They screwed up simple run outs. Bowled length balls at the death. Malinga bowled a garbage last over. They managed to get hit by fresh batsmen on a pitch like that.

That's apart from the generally sloppy batting display that let NZ off the hook.
Whats this, batting, bowling and fielding deciding a cricket game, surely not. At the end of the day New Zealand's death bowling was better as was there fielding, so they came away with the victory, hardly rocket science Scaly my friend.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ryder got himself out.
Guptill yorked himself to a 40 year old.
Taylor was a direct result of the pressure placed on himself by the two above getting themselves out.

Those three wickets were gifted by NZ - oh and don't forget McCullum #1 in the first over.

So in the clean up - BC's nearly thew it away but had the hitters to get them off the hook they'd placed themselves on.
Batsmen take risks in T20 so they tend to 'gift' wickets. On the other hand bowling length deliveries at the death is absolutely criminal. Making schoolboy errors to miss two run outs.

NZ were never in a position where they were overwhelming favourites, so they never really choked or messed things up particularly. They were mild favourites whilst Ryder was still in, but only mild because he's the only one who could forcibly take the game away from Sri Lanka. The rest weren't really good enough if Sri Lanka stuck to their task. Unfortunately Sri Lanka botched it with some awful cricket at the death, in the field and with the ball in their hand. They kept giving NZ chances.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Batsmen take risks in T20 so they tend to 'gift' wickets. On the other hand bowling length deliveries at the death is absolutely criminal. Making schoolboy errors to miss two run outs.

NZ were never in a position where they were overwhelming favourites, so they never really choked or messed things up particularly. They were mild favourites whilst Ryder was still in, but only mild because he's the only one who could forcibly take the game away from Sri Lanka. The rest weren't really good enough if Sri Lanka stuck to their task. Unfortunately Sri Lanka botched it with some awful cricket at the death, in the field and with the ball in their hand. They kept giving NZ chances.
Exactly, New Zealand were the better team.

Athlai

Not Terrible
NcCullum bowls darts making him ideal for limited overs and a nothing first class bowler. Though considering how dire Patels been....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Poor decision in playing Mendis. The Black Caps have faced him a few times. Sri Lanka should keep the novelty act for England, South Africa and Aus.

Gayle being rested as a precaution. England did that with KP against the Netherlands...
Yeah, picking the best T20I bowler around was a shocking decision.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
NcCullum bowls darts making him ideal for limited overs and a nothing first class bowler. Though considering how dire Patels been....
NMcCullum's FC avg is roughly the same as Patel's.

That said Patel took 22 FC wickets this season compared to NMacs 4.

I think Patel is really average. He isn't good and he isn't bad.

How much worse can NMac be in a test. Also he does seem to mix up the flight of his deliveries in ODIs not all of them are flat.

NL McCullum to Dilshan, 1 run, tossing it up on middle, slog-sweeps it straight towards deep midwicket for a single

NL McCullum to Chandimal, 1 run, slower through the air, short on the off turning in, almost falls away as he cuts that through point

NL McCullum to Chandimal, OUT, Ross Taylor takes a beauty at long-on! Didn't quite get to the pitch but gave it a thwack, it appeared as though it would clear Taylor. He was right at the edge, timed his jump perfectly, stuck his right hand out, tapped the ball back in and took it stretching to his right, It ends an excellent stand after the dismissals of two batsmen who failed to get going
LD Chandimal c Taylor b NL McCullum 29 (23b 1x4 1x6) SR: 126.08
NL McCullum to Jayawardene, 2 runs, flighted on the off,paddles it towards fine leg for a couple

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na NcCullum isn't currently the next spinning option for Tests IMO. Even Todd (I only became a spinner yesterday) Astle got more wickets than him.

Howsie

International Captain

I guess you missed the part where New Zealand at one point needed 74 runs of 68 balls with nine wickets in hand?

thierry henry

International Coach
Genus from Vettori here, I think it was fairly obvious that McCullum was the one who was going to win this. Looked most likely to score runs against Malinga.
lol, I think it's awesome that Vettori has realised after all these years that he is a dire batsman in the crucial overs of ODI matches, so he basically sacrificed himself

thierry henry

International Coach
tbh McCullum seems to bowl quite slowly for a modern limited overs finger-spinner. I daresay he bowls slower on average than Patel. People talk about Patel as some sort of old fashioned spinner but he bowls his regulation off-break as fast as anyone I've ever seen, usually around 90kph.

Athlai

Not Terrible
tbh McCullum seems to bowl quite slowly for a modern limited overs finger-spinner. I daresay he bowls slower on average than Patel. People talk about Patel as some sort of old fashioned spinner but he bowls his regulation off-break as fast as anyone I've ever seen, usually around 90kph.
Patel doesn't get as much as loop and turn as he used to but NcCullum doesn't get much of anything.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Ryder in the team, NZ can definitely win this tourney

As we saw last night, SL need big guns to fire in oder to go anywhere as they have 5-6 players who are downright ordinary