• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Zimbabwe

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In Super 8's, Top 4 teams go to semis..

If there is a lower ranked team like Zim in 8's, Most of the teams will win against ZIM (ideally) and get that two points and while NZ will need to win hard to earn that two points against a nation except ZIM to be in contention...
Except they're in separate groups for the last 8 teams so it is irrelevant.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The odds from the TAB on the fastest to 10 runs for the NZ vs Z game. The odds are pretty generous. I have backed Ryder. Hope the weather allows the game.

1 Brendon McCullum 1.95
2 Jesse Ryder 2.00

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
OK I stand corrected, thought it was super 8's where every team plays each other once (besides who you have already played) and top 4 make semis.
yeah me too thought as super 8's like it was played in WC '07

Polo23

International Debutant
They both have limitations. Taylor's a walking wicket against good seam bowling with the ball doing anything. That's why he's not a good top 4 batsman in general. Obviously if it's a flat pitch or the the openers have got through the new ball then it's not an issue.

They're both form players and can look horrible if they're out of form.
I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying but I think you are being harsh. Almost all batsmen struggle against the seaming ball, which is understandable...you'd have to be some sort of freak to adjust to a ball traveling at that speed after it has pitched and moved. I think in test cricket Taylor is pretty good at playing swing bowling, unlike in OD cricket he plays with a much straighter bat and looks to hit through the offside far more often (in fact, i'd say the cover drive is probably his biggest scoring area in tests).

To be honest I don't really remember Taylor ever being out of form for any considerable period of time in international cricket. I have a feeling you are basing a lot of your opinion on that 2007 WC Semi Final innings he played against Sri Lanka where the ball was moving all over the place and he got made to look a bit foolish, if that is the case it's pretty harsh to form the majority of your opinion on 1 innings. Other than that I can't really remember him ever looking too troubled by the swinging ball, except maybe his debut series against South Africa and a rampant Dale Steyn.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can someone who's watching the game confirm whether or not Taibu is wearing pads whilst batting?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Can someone who's watching the game confirm whether or not Taibu is wearing pads whilst batting?
:laugh: Yes he is.

Pitch looks good for batting again. A little bit slow, but there's not been much movement. Looks like it'll probably turn later in the day as McCullum was getting a few to tweak. The only problem is the slowness of the outfield. Taibu pulled one into the leg-side and it just plugged. Hopefully Zimbabwe'll get 140/150 and we'll have a game on our hands.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't be arsed working it out properly, but I take it Zimbabwe need to win by about 10 runs to knock NZ out?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bit more I think.

Great start from the Zims. Blignaut at three a nice attacking move.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Oram to Masakadza, 5 wides, walked to the off side, Oram pushed the ball wider outside off and he throws his hand at it and edges it aerially through the vacant slip region

Apparently you can edge wides now?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dire from Zimbabwe. Where's the intent and application shown by the openers?

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Has been some great bowling from McCullum here - realises the pitch is slow so holding some back and letting his dip come into things.